Incidents That Happened In The Field, You Can't Explain.. But Want To Know More About

BFF Patron

I do not get motion sick but then again someone who has flown for a living for 38 years is pretty immune to motion sickness.      The buzzing I heard was centered in my gut, with my gut producing the buzz.     My recording of the infrasound blast shows that it started at a low frequency and increased.   So they run up the scale so to speak.     This is probably because the exact frequency that effects a given human probably varies person to person.       A complete description is in field reports I submitted.    BF also seem to put out two blast pings.    I did not hear that at all but my recording gear picked it up.   I thought when I saw it on the recording that it was like sonar but it makes no sense that a BF that is that close to me would be using a sonar like signal.  At that point I had already talked to the BF so it knew exactly where I was.      Now I think it more likely that it was some sort of communication with other BF in the area.    With their huge chest cavity they would feel the infrasound other BF in the area produce. 

I do not get motion sick but then again someone who has flown for a living for 38 years is pretty immune to motion sickness.      The buzzing I heard was centered in my gut, with my gut producing the buzz.     My recording of the infrasound blast shows that it started at a low frequency and increased.   So they run up the scale so to speak.     This is probably because the exact frequency that effects a given human probably varies person to person.       A complete description is in field reports I submitted.    BF also seem to put out two blast pings.    I did not hear that at all but my recording gear picked it up.   I thought when I saw it on the recording that it was like sonar but it makes no sense that a BF that is that close to me would be using a sonar like signal.  At that point I had already talked to the BF so it knew exactly where I was.      Now I think it more likely that it was some sort of communication with other BF in the area.    With their huge chest cavity they would feel the infrasound other BF in the area produce. 

Very interesting comments all!  It's great that you've been able to record the varying infrasound frequencies.  I read an article where a researcher used a video camera that was able to record infrasound which he later used software to study.  But he failed to realize he had captured infrasound at the time due to a very odd occurrence that fits in with the title of this thread, namely about things happening in the field that you cannot explain.  The researcher (Scott) had zoomed in twice on a bigfoot, but he had no memory of ever doing that.  It wasn't until much later upon reviewing the footage that he realized what he had done.  It is a known scientific fact that certain frequencies of infrasound can cause memory loss, confusion, and hallucinations.  The researcher believes he experienced an episode of missing time where his short term memory was compromised.  The software showed the amplitude of infrasound was so loud at the time of this incident that he was literally being screamed at in infrasound that the human ear cannot detect.

I had an unexplained episode of my own.  One night while fishing a sasquatch harassed us with screams and thrown rocks and while leaving I ended up last carrying a stringer of fish.  I felt a tug on the stringer and looked down to see a hand frozen in place.  I turned and was looking down at this extremely long arm when suddenly it wasn't there anymore.  Perhaps I too was hit with infrasound that caused memory loss or confusion that explains why I didn't see the arm retract back into the bushes.  Many different Indian legends speak of sasquatch's ability to become invisible, which could be due to infrasound effects on the brain.  I wrote about this episode and included a link to the researchers article on possible infrasond induced memory loss at Sasquatch Research Association.  Here is a link to what I wrote on their forum:

http://sasquatchresearchers.org/forums/index.php?/topic/208-theories-on-invisibility-by-sasquatches/

How would you distinguish naturally occuring infrasound from what seemed to come from the bigfoot?

Hello Divergent1,

If you go the article I linked to in the post below your's it contains a link to an article where the researcher distinguishes between sasquatch induced infrasound and other sources of infrasound, including sudden changes in frequencies and amplitude.  He wrote, "These variations in my opinion demonstrate that the infrasound is originating from a biological source. . . ."  The researcher believes he could tell when the sasquatch took a breath, writing, " You can observe what appears to be the Bigfoot taking breaths during the snippet. The infrasound frequencies drop off the scale for approximately half a second then jump back up to the higher amplitudes."

Unlike humans the great apes have large laryngeal air sacs, and it’s been suggested that the loud vocalizations created by sasquatches indicate the presence of giant, orangutan-like air sacs.  Unlike apes, humans have the ability to speak due to the position of the hyoid bone which is lower in humans.  Sasquatches, whom many believe are relict homonids with both human and ape characteristics, might have the best of both worlds, a laryngeal air sac that allows greater amplitude and a lower hyoid bone that allows for greater dexterity in it's vocalizations.  

Edited by jayjeti

There is a Doctor who is a plastic surgeon, who also talks about the possibility of air sacs.

There is limited detail of “Patty’s” face due to the grain from the film, combined with the short period of time that she is looking back at the camera.  That being stated, she does demonstrate a rather prominent anterior, inferior neck fold.  It is best seen in the pictures that show her turning to look back at the photographer.  There is a clear fold seen, with shadowing underneath that is consistent with a protruding area.  It does not, however, appear to be the classic “double chin,” that is seen on overweight humans, but may actually represent a small air sac, similar to those found on some of the great apes, with the orangutan being the most gifted with the organ.  The sac is used for an alternative method of vocal communication.

O. Allen Guinn, III, M.D., F.A.C.S. Aurora Plastic Surgery Lee’s Summit, MO

This is from the commentary he wrote on Munn's and Meldrum's paper. Here's the link.

ETA: Use the link in the next post if this one doesn't work for you.

Edited by chelefoot

Hello chelefoot,

Excellent find!  I read all of it and saved it to my documents.   I like seeing more tangible evidence that supports a supposition, in this case the idea that sasquatches, which seem to incorporate a mixture of great ape and human characteristics, might have an air sac enabling them to vocally produce the loud volume that they do.  I've heard one screaming at a short distance and I don't believe a human is even capable of making a noise that loud.  I also believe they have language, which would mean they have a lower hyoid bone than apes and also the FOXP2 gene necessary for hominids to use language.  The great apes lack that gene.  Sasquatches are said to mimic animals and even repeat back what they've heard a human say.  Their great ability with voice inflections, I believe, is also displayed in their use of infrasound.  

I also like how the article, written by a plastic surgeon who is intricately aware of how various aspects of the human body functions, renders the movement of Patty in the P/G film would likely be impossible to mimic in a suit.  Sadly, too few experts are involved in studying the bigfoot phenomenon.  Here is an example of the article,  "The right upper arm demonstrates an interesting finding.   As she walks away, and swings her right arm backwards, the triceps muscle is fired to help accomplish the maneuver.  The long and lateral heads of the triceps brachii become more prominent with the back-swing, and less prominent with the swing forwards."  He also wrote, “Patty†has large, pendulous breasts that respond to gravitational stresses by swinging from side to side, and elongating and shortening in response to her gait."  Now, I might could accomplish that in a fake suit with a pair of water balloons, but combined with all the areas he notes over the structure of Patty it would likely be impossible to mimic in a suit.

I couldn't get your link to work, but I copied and pasted this address for a Google search and pulled up the pdf file.

http://www. isu.edu/rhi/pdf/Munns%20&%20Meldrum%20Commentary_2013.pdf

It would be interesting to see if those that have a bad reaction to what they think is infrasound also suffer from motion sickness.

Who knows, it could due to people who get motion sickness, or vertigo, or have some other unique aspect of their physiology.  I know a lady who drank something that went down her windpipe and she immediately passed out.  The doctor told her that her involuntary reflex to expel the liquid affected her vegas nerve somehow and caused her to pass out.  Her physiology reacted that way.  It was something unique to the location of "her" vegas nerve.  So, different people's physical make-up might impact reactions to infrasound in different ways.   A fellow researcher told me he passed out twice on the same trail, both times at the same point on that trail while traveling to and fro with a companion, and the person walking with him, who was not affected like that, claimed to hear a ringing or buzzing or something to that affect in his ears both times at that same point on the trail, which I don't know how often that happens with infrasound which actually penetrates your body and vibrates your organs.  I don't remember hearing anything in my ears on the occasion I was hit with it.  On that particular day we had found a possible bigfoot shelter and it took all my strength and courage to walk up to just one side of it before I had to leave.  I felt great fear and anxiety.  When I walked away it went away, and as long as we were moving I was okay, but  whenever we stopped for a moment I felt it again -- ushering us to keep moving.  But it seemed to not be as strong, and I wonder if proximity to the individual(s) creating the infrasound plays a role, diminishing its intensity the further you are away from the source.    

Edited by jayjeti

"But it seemed to not be as strong, and I wonder if proximity to the individual(s) creating the infrasound plays a role, diminishing its intensity the further you are away from the source."

jayjeti, that is correct, the intensity of sound, of any frequency, increases or decreases by the factor of distance squared. So if you move 50% closer to the source, it will increase by 4 times, or if you double the distance away, it will decrease by 4 times. You are also right about each persons' physiology causing different reactions to the same stimulus. A good friend of mine finds that the heavy bass of some stereo systems actually hurt his chest, while it doesn't affect  me in the same way.

• Upvote 1

Thanks BC witness,

That is good information, that sound frequencies increase or decrease by a factor of 4.  And you say any sound frequency.  Doesn't low sound frequencies travel farther in air?  Lower frequency waves travel better through matter too as a result of the atomic spacing of the molecules in whatever medium it encounters, be it air or solid matter.  That is how infrasound penetrates people's bodies and vibrates organs; its short wave length can travel through the atomic spacing of molecules.  High frequency waves are taller and are more easily disrupted.  That is why sometimes when someone drives past you with their car stereo blasting you can only hear the beat of the heavy bass since the higher sound waves are disrupted.  So, I guess what you are saying is all sound frequencies will increase or decrease by a factor of 4 if your movement is 50% either way, even though different frequencies have different ranges, whatever range a given frequency has will increase or decrease by that same factor.

During the infrasound incident I previously alluded to I felt like I could sense the general direction it was coming from.  I don't know if that was me making assumptions or not.  I'm curious if anyone else has sensed that?   Something was occasionally being thrown too, a rock or something would occasionally land 30 feet or so away from us if we stopped walking and talked for a moment.  They wanted us gone and thus employed intimidation.  I believe sasquatches, through the aid of laryngeal air sacs can create the great amplitude in infrasound necessary to cause the effects it does, and I've wondered if those who claim to experience the most extreme paralyzing effects of infrasound are 1. very close to the source, and 2. possibly being hit by more than one individual.  

Many believe sasquatches might be able to communicate with one another through infrasound, which would mean they can hear below the human threshold of hearing.  I believe they possess language.  Who knows, maybe they can speak language in infrasound at long distances from one another since infrasound has a much greater range through air than higher sound frequencies.  Elephants and whales both use infrasound to make rudimentary communications with others at great distances.  If there is such a thing as equipment that can detect the direction of infrasound it might could be used to find the location of sasquatches if they are communicating in infrasound or blasting trespassers in their domain.  

Edited by jayjeti

BFF Patron

After a couple of instances where I missed excellent vocalizations because I did not have a sound recorder running I have a recorder recording every second I am in the field.    By comparing the recording with my recollection of the zapping I could not detect any missing time.     During part if it I was even talking back to the BF.     I told it something to the effect that what it was doing was really remarkable but it was frightening me and asked it to quit.   It took me about a half hour to get over the fear.    I felt an immediate desire to leave the area but I was there looking for BF so that fear seems irrational to me.    It seemed to surround me and I had no sense of direction where it was coming from.     It stopped  nearly immediately.    Not sure if that was coincidence or it knew I did not like the experience.    Return visits to the location did not provoke any zapping encounters.   But the BF was still present and I could hear it moving around.     I penetrated back into the woods trying to force it to either zap me again or move so I could see it.    I could hear it moving tree to tree withdrawing as I went in then heard it growl at me.    After the growl I heard a dry branch break behind me and realized I was being flanked by a second BF.   I backed out immediately.     The growl was not friendly.     I have returned several times to the location without any further contact.     The last time I went just a few weeks ago there was a rock cairn (stack) by the side of the trail at the point where I enter the woods.    I have never seen another in that immediate area before.    I do have another recording in a completely different location where I did not see or hear anything but ended up with something on a recording.    That either indicates missing time, or some unknown method to get something on a recording that I could not hear at the time.   A review of that recording in a visual analyzer did not show anything like infra sound but does have a strange noise that sounds like a submarine door opening or a toilet flushing in a large empty room.    Neither that or the vocalization a minute later on the recording I heard with my ears but they ended up on the recorder. 

The intensity I experienced during the zapping was remarkable in that there is no way any BF could have been any closer than 20 yards away.    Trees closer were young and too narrow to hide behind.    The buzzing in my guts was so energetic I had a pain in my gut the rest of the day.    If I had been closer I would have some worry about internal injuries.    It could be that it just effected one of my diverticula as I have those problems now and then. 

Why are we not affected the same way by the sounds whales make in the oceans? 

Both dolphins and whales use infrasound to stun fish they want to eat.  They momentarily paralyze their prey.  Whale directed blasts of infrasound are called "gunshots," and they have actually been observed bursting fish apart with that. For us to be affected by that we would need to be near the whale in front of its directed blast. Tigers use infrasound to disorientate their prey.  And deer have been observed behaving oddly in areas where it was believed bigfoot was present, and they likely use infrasound to catch their prey.  Indian legends claim they can hypnotize deer, and some people have reported paralyzing effects as well.  We are frequently exposed to man made and natural infrasound, but at low decibels it's not harmful.  I believe sasquatches can direct at blast at high decibels.

Different cycles per second (hertz) produce different effects, plus different amplitudes (decibels) of those various frequencies produce different effects.  I don't know a whole lot about what these different frequencies cause, but a frequency matching the resonance of our cells has its own type of effect.  Some frequencies at low amplitude actually produces a pleasant effect on people.  Below 7 hertz at a high enough decibels can cause internal injuries or death.  Perhaps there is someone on this board who knows more about infrasound and its effects that could weigh in on this.  Or perhaps you could research it yourself.

Edited by jayjeti

Guest Divergent1

I question the infrasound theory because as much noise pollution as we have today, some of that is bound to be in that range that affects humans. Yet we don't have people falling out, getting nauseated or dizzy on a regular basis in urban areas, at least not from that.

However, I've been sleeping with a fan at night right by my head that tends to vibrate occassionally. It might be vibrating all the time and I don't hear it until it gets within a certain range. Since I bought the fan, I've been getting migraines, bouts of vertigo, and I've even had some visual changes in my left eye which is the side where the fan is located.

I think I'll move that fan to another part of the room and see if it makes a difference just in case. If it works, I'll let you know. 

I question the infrasound theory because as much noise pollution as we have today, some of that is bound to be in that range that affects humans. Yet we don't have people falling out, getting nauseated or dizzy on a regular basis in urban areas, at least not from that.

So, you're saying you don't believe bigfoot ever employs infrasound because there is enough infrasound in our environment already that people would get dizzy or nauseated if infrasound actually caused those kinds of bad reactions.  However, the adverse reactions to infrasound are a scientific fact; it's not built on guess work or assumptions.  As I previously noted, infrasound at lower decibels and on the higher end of those frequencies is not harmful.  It's only bad at high amplitude (very loud) and in the lower infrasonic frequencies.  

Do you think bigfoot actually exists or not, or perhaps you are open to the idea they exist but you don't know for certain? which is okay, around 65% of Americans doubt their existence.  But the adverse reactions many people claim to experience is what can occur via infrasound, and the question is this, is that being caused by a bigfoot using infrasound?  I would say the overwhelming majority of the bigfoot community (those who believe in bigfoot) accept the idea that they do use infrasound. 

If you do some internet searches on the dangers of infrasound or harmful effects of infrasound then you would see what it can cause.

Edited by jayjeti

BFF Patron

BF infrasound was a theory I was very skeptical of until I experienced and measured it myself.     Before I always thought the only manifestation was the feeling of fear and assumed that was in the mind of the experiencer.     But it is a physical manifestation that can be detected, measured, and studied.    If you can provoke a BF into producing it, it might be the single definitive thing they do that will give themselves away in the field.     Although other animals in Africa and the sea are known to produce it,   nothing in North America is known to produce it.  So if you detect it, then it is most likely produced by a BF.    Since experiencing it and hearing the thuds that their feet make in the field,  I think detection of infrasound a viable field technique if for nothing other than detecting their footsteps when they move around.    As others have mentioned their footfalls are right at the bottom range of my hearing.     Sensitive instrumentation could be used to determine direction even when there is no other evidence they are in the area.     That would take three sensors and a computer program to detect the slight differences in time that an infrasound takes to get to each of the three sensors.     Such a set up could be deployed in a camp or static field environment.    Since there is no off the shelf software available, development of that software would be more expensive than the hardware.