Incidents That Happened In The Field, You Can't Explain.. But Want To Know More About

Guest Divergent1

I'm not sure if bigfoot exists or not, but to have any meaningful discussion here it helps to treat it as a given. I did some reading as you suggested and found an interesting article about a fan in an A/C unit that was malfunctioning and vibrating at a subsonic level. It was causing the employees in the labratory next door to see gray misty blobs out of their peripheral vision and other similar effects.

With that in mind, I would think you would have more instances of these kinds of symptoms in urban areas. I'm not aware of it if it is happening, I don't see it on the news. So my guess is if bigfoot is doing it, it would have to be in close proximity of the human target because infrasound waves are hard to buffer, and like sound, the effect would dissapate the further out it gets.If I were out looking for an encounter, the next time anyone in the group starts feeling queasy or weird, I would begin a grid search assuming everyone is physically able. Don't forget to look up.

I slept without the fan last night and it's the first time I've woken up in a month without a dizzy spell, there might be something to what everyone suspects. I'll keep sleeping without the fan to see if my symptoms disappear.

I think alligators produce infrasound to call mates.

I found this link to a fairly inexpensive set up, it's a little more than a really good game camera, It's affordable with a little planning. This would allow you to get baseline readings of the area so you could rule out natural and artificial data, like air traffic.

http://www.infiltec.com/Infrasound@home/

BFF Patron

I did not know that about alligators but there are not a lot of those in the PNW.    Notice skeptics that I did not say "any" because I do not know if there are any that were raised and released and survived the winters.   So one cannot say there are none in the PNW but that they are not native.       They show up all the time in strange places like the sewers of New York.    The coastal areas of the PNW are mild enough that I could see them actually surviving if someone released a pet.   I have been around all sort of things and the only thing man made that made my insides vibrate like when I was zapped was standing near the runway in the military when someone lit their afterburner.     The discussions of infra sound describe it as a series of low frequency pressure waves.      More that than a sinusoidal sound like we are used to hearing.     Less Stroud had an experience in Alaska where he described a sound that seemed to travel more through the ground than into his ears when he was laying on the ground.   He said he felt it more than heard it.     It would transmit better through solid ground than the air.      Another common source of infrasound that I have felt is earthquakes.      I lived in California for many years and have experienced them in the PNW.    As they approach it feels and sounds like a train coming before the earth starts moving.   The effects of an earthquake induce fear,   nausea,  and other effects that have been attributable to BF infrasound.      Yes I did check with the USGS and when I got zapped there was no record of an earthquake within and hour or two of the same time in the State of Washington.       My research area is near Mt St Helens and that has the largest array of seismographs of anyplace in the world.   They are all over the place and I have encountered USGS scientists servicing them. 

I have the infiltec infra sound detector.    The associated software  leaves a lot desired for BF research purposes and the device is not exactly portable in that it needs to be connected to a computer that has a USB port or DB9 serial port.    But it will directly detect infrasound from .1 hz to 20hz.   So with adequate power supplies it can be used in a camping environment.     The problem being that unless you just happen to set up camp near a BF group,   and they want to run you off,  BF are unlikely to zap anyone if they approach a human campsite.      In that case their motivation is stealth to approach, observe, and check out your campsite after you retire for the night.      It would pick up their footsteps, when they move around but with only one device connected to a computer it would be difficult to discern movement or direction.     It might be worthwhile just to know if you have been visited in the night.     I suppose if you could find and measure the distance from a detected footprint to the pickup array of the Infiltec then experiment, you might be able to calculate a weight range of the animal that made the noise.      Believe me an adult BF moving through the forest with any speed makes footfall sounds that get your attention. 

I'm not sure if bigfoot exists or not, but to have any meaningful discussion here it helps to treat it as a given. I did some reading as you suggested and found an interesting article about a fan in an A/C unit that was malfunctioning and vibrating at a subsonic level. It was causing the employees in the labratory next door to see gray misty blobs out of their peripheral vision and other similar effects.

I would probably be in the same boat as you or perhaps even more skeptical if I had not seen it with my own eyes. I've had multiple experiences including being hit with infrasound, smelling the foul order, and I was actually injured by one.  On the following day after a sighting I went and stood next to an embankment that he had stood against to get an idea of how tall he was, and I estimated he was around 8 feet tall.    Seeing is believing, and maybe you should hook-up with one of these expeditions that takes people out into bigfoot habitat.  I'll be doing field research in Oregon in mid September.  It is interesting about the labratory workers you brought up who were seeing mistry gray blobs and it was linked to infrasound coming from the AC.  Some people report seeing strange lights in the woods associated with bigfoot activity, and it's theorized those could be bigfoot induced hallucinations.  Even David Paulides in his book "Missing 411" mentions strange lights associated with some of the disappearances in national parks.

Perhaps anecdotal evidence (eye witnesses) is not concrete enough.  But consider this, there are over 60 different Indian tribes across North America that have their own names for this creature, and they also often very similar descriptions and behaviors attributed to it.  It is difficult to dismiss that wide dispersion of witnesses.

Edited by jayjeti

Guest Divergent1

I'm in Oregon too, summer is my busy season so it's hard to get away, especially on weekends when most trips take place. I was thinking of checking out some spots that I read about in the late fall.

Another thing about the infrasound I was reading about, unlike sound, it doesn't dissapate as easily as I had stated earlier. I couldn't really find anything specific about how it travels out from the source but I was questioning the ability to target something with it. I still haven't had any more symtoms since turning the fan off in my bedroom, I hope that problem is solved. 

BFF Patron

The other thing with having something electrical near your head is electromagnetic field.     A fan motor would have a large one.   Not only does infra sound mess with our heads it is well documented that electromagnetic fields mess with our brains. 

I am on the coast in Oregon to avoid the heat inland.    Got in some field work yesterday.    I heard a tree break and thought I might make some contact but it must have been a natural event.     Interesting area I found by accident when the area I intended to go they were paving the road and I did not want to get tar all over my vehicle.    It might be more promising in the fall when the creek has more water.   It was mostly dried up.    I figured if it was named Elk Flats then at times there must be elk and that would bring in BF. 

Guest Divergent1

As hot as it has been here, I really doubt a hairy bigfoot would be anywhere else but the tallest parts of the Cascades.

Guest ewashguy56

As hot as it has been here, I really doubt a hairy bigfoot would be anywhere else but the tallest parts of the Cascades.

I hear that! Too warm for me thanks.

BFF Patron

Yes but with the heat comes an increased need for water on their part.    In many places higher is drier.    Higher where there is running water,  they still need to eat.    Those two factors sort of narrow down where they go in the hot months.     In my research area I have not had any contact with them in several years time now between early July and October.     They have to be someplace else even though water and game are present year round.   Up where it is cool is certainly a good guess for something in a hair/fur suit.    Because of flying you cannot always assume that higher is cooler either.     When the valleys in Western Oregon and Washington get into the 90s, the air over the Cascades can be abnormally warm too.    Recently I noted it was 10 degrees warmer at 4000 feel over the Cascades that it was at the surface in the valley one particular morning. 

I'm in Oregon too, summer is my busy season so it's hard to get away, especially on weekends when most trips take place. I was thinking of checking out some spots that I read about in the late fall.

Another thing about the infrasound I was reading about, unlike sound, it doesn't dissapate as easily as I had stated earlier. I couldn't really find anything specific about how it travels out from the source but I was questioning the ability to target something with it. I still haven't had any more symtoms since turning the fan off in my bedroom, I hope that problem is solved. 

I live in the bay area of California but go up to SW Oregon to do field research.  We had a 6.0 earthquake here recently, which I felt, and it was reported that some people saw flashes of light in the sky.  Earthquakes are known to generate infrasound, and an occasional side effect of infrasound is seeing strange lights (hallucinations).  Strange lights in the sky or woods are sometimes associated with bigfoot sightings, and for that reason some people have tried to link bigfoot to the UFO phenomenon.  But the most likely source is bigfoot produced infrasound causing them to hallucinate these lights.  As I mentioned in my last post, some believe sasquatches could be responsible for some of the people who go missing from national parks every year, which are overwhelmingly women and children, and David Paulides wrote a book titled, "Missing 411" where he notes clusters of missing persons in certain regions, and groups like occurrences that happen with these disappearances including some reports of strange lights in the sky at the time the people went missing.

Here is an article about people seeing lights in the sky at the time of the earthquake:

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/08/27/witnesses-report-mysterious-flashes-in-the-sky-during-napa-quake-lightning-seti-institute-earthquake-lights-twitter/

Here is some videos that talks about these missing persons, which in keeping with the title of the tread is strange unexplained things that happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbUsEBO6C2M

Edited by jayjeti

BFF Patron

That is a good hypothesis about infrasound.    Another thing associated with earthquakes is plasma releases because of the tremendous energies involved with the movement of the fault lines.  They are usually evidenced with balls of light that seem to float around.  The areas like California where there is a lot of quartz in the rock is more prone to plasma releases than other areas of the country.    The igniters of BBQ grills are just a quartz crystal that the little red button hits somehow to produce the spark.    I think there is more association of balls of light associated with BF sightings in California than other areas of the country.    Whether there is a direct link or it is just accidental would be hard to determine.     I could very well be that balls of plasma floating around because of strains in fault lines freak out BF as much as it does us.    If BF are hanging around a camp at night and there is a plasma release it might cause them to forget their prime directive of hiding and move away from the freaky ball of plasma and be seen doing that.    All conjecture on my part but an interesting topic.    

Guest Divergent1

I think the lightening flashs are related to geological processes within the earth building up to an earthquake, not necessarily related to hallucinations caused by infrasound. There was some research recently that documented the phenomena but I'll have to look for it. Based on what I've been reading infrasound can cause visual changes if it affects the temporal lobe just right, but I can't really find anything that says what the specific frequency is to make that happen. I don't know if the balls of light have anything to do with bigfoot since those are seen more often without bigfoot being involved.

I'm working from a lot of presumptions here, but if aliens exist, I can't see why they would use a prototype like bigfoot to do their dirty work. Artificially created flies or gnats would work much better at collecting cellular debri from humans for cloning and genetic studies, the fly's eyes could be modified to work like a camera for observational purposes, and an artificial insect of some kind would be a lot less noticeable.

As for Paulides, I looked at the video, I'm not sure that I believe everything he writes or reports as being factually true. It wouldn't surprise me if someone went behind him and researched the same cases and found that some of the facts got exaggerated or twisted into a much more bizarre story IMO.

BFF Patron

I think much of what humans know and do related to natural events and gadgets must be a total mystery to BF.     They have no context to understand it.   By this time they should have figured out guns but there are witness accounts where someone is shooting and they do not seem to understand they are in danger when shot at.   The BF stood in place rather than run away.    That would lead me to believe that particular BF did not understand guns and the dangers of being shot at.  Some of that could be that it was blinded with a spot light.     If their night vision is as good as we think, hitting them in the face with a spot light would destroy their night vision for several minutes making them as blind as we are at night.   

Plasma releases,  ball lightning,   lasers, and other technological experiences might be a total mystery to BF.     Most of us probably do not know what makes a laser work but we sure know one when we see one.   A laser would be magic to a primitive tribal human in the Amazon or BF alike and probably the reaction would be fear.    St Elmo's fire is pretty freaky stuff.    Once in the military we were getting a lot of it dancing around the aircraft, when a 12 inch ball of plasma,  came through the wind screen, passed between me and the copilot, and floated back into the crew compartment where it just disappeared without touching anything.    No prior knowledge of what that was, would have freaked out human or BF alike.   Some of these floating orbs reported associated with California BF sightings I would tend to attribute to plasma balls released from strained fault lines.       The reports usually read about BF activity then floating orbs but not particularly simultaneously.    The observer of course ties the two together when there may be no association at all.  

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

I think much of what humans know and do related to natural events and gadgets must be a total mystery to BF.     They have no context to understand it.   By this time they should have figured out guns but there are witness accounts where someone is shooting and they do not seem to understand they are in danger when shot at.   The BF stood in place rather than run away.    That would lead me to believe that particular BF did not understand guns and the dangers of being shot at.

It is commonly believed that BF reacts to the presence of guns, even mistaking non-weapon objects carried by people as guns.  In your story the BF didn't move.  A common tactic BF uses is to remain motionless, or very slowly sway.  They seem to understand that motion can give away the presence of a living creature, and it sounds like the one in your story was attempting to not draw attention to itself.  Humans have abstract thought to where we can more easily pick out stationary objects than any other animal, like dogs are highly geared for seeing movement and cannot detect motionless prey very easily with their eyes alone, although their sense of smell is very keen.  Sasquatches lack the higher reasoning abilities of humans.  Their tool use has few examples, and making a tool even rarer.  Although we have no way of knowing much about their culture since no one is able to observe how they go about their daily routines.  

As far as knowing what a gun is, many certainly do and react accordingly.  I read a story of a family who were camping that had noticed a bigfoot observing them for a while.  Perhaps he didn't realize his cover was blown, or in some cases they are not as alarmed at being seen.  When one little boy got a BB gun out of his tent the bigfoot suddenly bolted and took off running.  I don't know the circumstances of the encounter you refer to, but it's hard to build a premise on one encounter.  It sounds like they were a long distance away from the bigfoot if it's possible they were shooting at it and missing.  At a 100 yards without a scope I can nail a target much smaller than a BF with my 30.06.  There are a lot of stories of them understanding the dangers of guns.  There is even a theory that they were once more aggressive and dangerous before guns were introduced.  A number of stories by Indians and early settlers tell of a much more dangerous creature. whom is seems was the the top predator, and it's theorized that guns made man the top predator, and they realize it.     

BFF Patron

The difference in reports about recognition of guns implies a couple of things.    Either a particular group of BF has not experienced being shot at and another has, or there is no common knowledge about how dangerous guns are and each particular BF or family group has to learn on their own.     The report I was referring to is related to a habitation situation that got out of hand and the property owners felt threatened and started shooting.   Other reports seem to indicate at times a BF will follow a deer hunter, and opportunistically grab a kill and walk off with it.       That indicates that particular BF understood guns and hunting.    I know a particular group in Idaho that frequent a remote camp, have always worn guns because of bears, and the BF trust them enough in spite of that to show themselves now and then.     I wear a gun in the field more because being solo and for cougars that are common in my research area than any thought of needing it for a BF.      What I carry would just wound and enrage a BF.    I don't know if they understand my lack a malice towards them or not.    Some would say they do but gun or not, the only way I can be successful is to encounter a BF that does not know I am there anyway.   In that case it really does not matter if I am armed or not.     They do not seemed to be at all inclined to show themselves to me even though they must recognize me at this point.   

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

• 3 weeks later...

I positive this wasn't a Sas but what it was I am not sure.  Back in the early 90's a friend and I went on a 5 day backpacking trip into the Las Padres forest back behind Santa Ynez, Ca.  We drove in as far as we could which would be the Nira campgrounds right next to the Manzana river.  We unloaded our packs and started out we made it about 9 miles in to a lil spot named "fish camp".  It was very primitive with only two fire rings and a hole in the ground with make shift siding on three sides for privacy.  The scenery was sage brush, scrub oak, oak and some pines mixed in here and there.  Anyway long story short there had recently been a fire a few years previous so there was a lot of burnt logs on the ground.  We decided to build a 4 foot high "U" shape with the fire ring being in the center and each of us sleeping on either side.  We pitched the tent very close to the entrance to the "U", so we basically had four walls. There was a little space on each side to get out, at night we put our chairs in these openings so nothing had room get in without making some noise.  We slept with our shotguns and handguns by our side.  The first two nights there was absolutely nothing out of the ordinary....I mean nothing.  The third night we went to sleep prob around 11pm ish.  Somewhere around 2-3 am we were both jolted to a fully alert state in a split sec.  I mean wide awake with flight or fight in full effect.  We had heard what seriously sounded like a elephant crashing through the scrub oak and or small trees.  It was soooo loud and instantaneous that it scared the hell out of both of us.  There was no animal sounds, growls, grunts or even foot falls.....just of branches and bushes being destroyed.  We both started firing our shotguns into the air...mind you this was prob only 2-3 seconds into it but it was so startling that we were still in our sleeping bags when we fired the shotguns.  We each fired a few rounds and that was it.  Not another sound....not even the most minute cricket or twig break...the silence was deafening.  How does such immense crashing just freaking stop on a dime and never start again.  We left the next morning.  We looked for broken branches, bushes or tracks and found nothing.  I know this wasn't a Bigfoot but what it was I wish I knew.  For a better Idea of where we were...think Michael Jacksons Neverland Ranch.  We were a prob 5 miles and a couple mountains away.