Are Bigfoot Conferences Worth The $$$?

NitroSquatch

Guest Treegirl

Bigfoot Discovery Museum in Felton, CA, had a conference in Oct 2012 & charged $20

at the gate, $15 advance tickets. It featured the lost film of Roger Patterson.

http://www.bigfootdi...eryproject.com/

I am told the museum itself has an awesome collection of Bigfoot literature and

related artifacts. It has been a financial struggle for Mike Rugg to keep the facility

open. No doubt, attendees felt they got a great bargain at $20 a pop.

I don't drive long distances anymore; from my place to Felton is about 200 miles,

maybe less. But I would really like to visit his Museum some day. It'd be worth

the trip to meet Mike in person.

Well, you better make the trek soon because the Museum may close in April; 2012 was a tremendous struggle for Mike, the economy, expenses, etc. Felton supports his Museum and efforts and then there are those special people who want to ruin Mike's reputation. Bummer, because Mike is a truly nice guy and he knows his stuff; always has something interesting to share and he has genuine passion for all things Bigfoot. The few Conferences I've attended were fun, but it's usually the same old talks about the Patterson film. Don't regret missing the October event, just wasn't into it. One is fortunate to live in an area where there are squatches, but hopefully the Bigfoot Discovery Museum will remain open.

Perhaps all the bad ju-ju will stop...that includes killing squatches and DNA crapola.

• 10 months later...
BFF Patron

The recent Sasquatch Summit where the Gray's Harbor FLIR of a possible BF was revealed was well worth the money.  

It was a pleasant surprise that such a novel presentation was revealed at such a conference too.  Many thanks to Derekfoot

and Galahad for making some things happen. 

Edited by bipedalist

I think the network value of the get togethers is worth the cost alone. Earlier this year my son and I met Bob Gimlin and have become good friends with him. I've also got to meet a few people from on here as well as some other key figures from bigfootery. Like the Twilight convention doesn't feature real vampires, we don't see bigfoot. Who knows, perhaps a habituator may bring one of their friends and one day all that may change.

SSR Team

The recent Sasquatch Summit where the Gray's Harbor FLIR of a possible BF was revealed was well worth the money.  

It was a pleasant surprise that such a novel presentation was revealed at such a conference too.  Many thanks to Derekfoot

and Galahad for making some things happen.

Great to hear you made that one B..;)

Is it my imagination or are you spending a lot of time out west these days ?

I wish I could have attended the Sasquatch Summit in Grays Harbor, it would have been worth the drive up and the price of admission.

I saw on the Barb and Gabby YouTube that she attended and had a short video of Bob Gimlin speaking.

Maybe the next one, if I don't get called into work. :(

SSR Team

Has she uploaded anything decent recently Dave ?

I haven't checked for a while.

I have never been to a BF conference before, but just today I made reservations for the 2014 Ohio conference in April at Salt Fork State Park. 

I never would have considered going before, but after experiences at our place this summer, I am a believer!  So I'm looking forward to it and the room rates were very reasonable. It is only an hour and a half from our house, so it's easy to get to.  Plus it falls on my birthday weekend, so my husband said he would go because he is nice to me.  :) 

I think it will be great to hang out with other people in person who can appreciate the experience.  I have so enjoyed and benefitted from the BFF here this year.  But being together face to face will be great! 

I'll find your thread again and tell you what I thought of it. 

Good thread, thanks.

The OH Conference is April 25-27. Cliff B has agreed to speak.

From Facebook:

****OHIO BIGFOOT CONFERENCE 2014 SPEAKER UPDATE**** The Ohio Bigfoot Conference ...and the Ohio Bigfoot Organization is proud to announce to all of you our second confirmed speaker for the Ohio Bigfoot Conference 2014. ******************** Mr. Cliff Barackman ************************** from everyone's favorite Bigfoot show, "Finding Bigfoot". Tickets for the Ohio Bigfoot Conference 2014 will go on sale this Wednesday, December 4th at ohiobigfootconference.com when the website is fully updated that day for the 2014 event.

Has she uploaded anything decent recently Dave ?

I haven't checked for a while.

Here's the link Bobby

I wonder what folks like Gimlin, Cliff and Meldrum get paid to speak at these events?  This could be one of the $ benefits of being famous in the bf world!?!  No doubt we'll soon see the Sasquatch Ontario fella making the circuit.

I'd like to attend a good conference but they don't have them here in Ontario.  It would be interesting for sure.

t.

Edited by Terry

Gosh...did I respond to this before?  Makes no nevermind. 

I went to the 2009 Texas Bigfoot Conference.  Well worth the money.  As long as one's expectations are reasonable.  Here is what I think reasonable expectations are built upon:

1. I personally expect the science to be given front-row at any of these I attend.  I'm not interested in the hucksterism or the paranormal/woo-woo.  Nor in habituator accounts which, while they may be authentic and the habituator not motivated by the desire to provide proof, amount to me to mere encounter reports, which I can read for free.  At the Texas Bigfoot Conference - put on by the people most effectively and persistently applying scientific techniques to the field - the science takes center stage.

2.  Now.  Science requires money.  (You bet that's a red flag.)  RayG talks about mainstream science presenting its findings for free.  Well, no they don't.  Those presentations come at enormous cost:  to the truth; to scientific knowledge; to objectivity; and to the open-minded stance upon which good science absolutely must be based.  Why?  The copious money that goes to research approved by the mainstream.  (You bet that's a red flag.)

If scientists decide - for whatever reason, "just not real and forget it" very prominent among them - that something isn't worth their attention, it gets zero attention and zero funding.  In the case of bigfoot, how is the decision arrived at?  Pretty simple:  people got told when they were little that bigfoot's not real; they grew up and became scientists...and retained all the biases based on what their elders told them when they were kids.  That simple.  How do I know?  Obvious:  scientists' objections to sasquatch are the exact same ones I'd expect from any member of the society - of any level of education, including kindergarten - chosen strictly at random from those who scoff at this. 

3.  Where is the money coming from?  Not your National Geographic Society, for sure (although there are some semi-encouraging signs on that front).  Answer?  From people who have it, or can generate it, and bring in traffic, and are willing to support this cause.  This includes people who buy - and sell - some flat commercial and some flat out-there stuff about bigfoot.  NAWAC, Meldrum, Bindernagel et al accept - as the necessary price for getting the word around and networking with people who can push the science forward - that they will sleep with a few strange bedfellows. 

Far, far better, to me, than a scientific establishment suffering from what Peter Matthiessen calls "corrosive money rot" before the very first step of the research.

If you don't like "vigilante science," do the three-monkeys thing:  cover eyes, mouth and ears.  Because the Internet has spread scientific tools to devoted laymen, and vigilante science's time has come. 

If the mainstream doesn't touch it, well, science still should.  And it's not pretty, but it works.

Edited by DWA

SSR Team

Thanks Chele..

I don't know never had one close enough to me to go to yet,

though I would like to organize a Midwestern version near

Chicago and get MNBRT and others involved.

The OH Conference is April 25-27. Cliff B has agreed to speak.

My sons are already fighting over who gets to go with me to that one LOL If they'd just learn to be calm and get along when they're together we wouldn't have to chose for things like this.

Are Bigfoot Conferences Worth The $$$?

I made sure I actually attended one conference, before commenting on this question.

Did i have a good time and meet some interesting folks that share my interest ? ... Yes

Did I gain any additional info that I could probably find.. by searching and inquiring on the internet, or by reading books on the topic ? ... Not really, besides listening to additional witness accounts from my region.. which made it worthwhile, for me. This is also, the only reason and all I really get out of watching "Finding Bigfoot". For the witness accounts, alone.

Would I attend another one ? .. No. Having the choice to either spend the $$ for gas, admission, food, and lodging at a conference vs being out in the field doing a camping investigation.. it's a no brainer choice, for me personally.

We are all involved in this for various reasons, and the answers to this question...depend on what each person feels is important to them, concerning this topic interest.

If you want to make this interest a social event, hook up with others and have a great time doing it.. Yes, it is worth the money for you.