Are Bigfoot Conferences Worth The $$$?

NitroSquatch

I personally think meeting others who have the same interest alone is worth the time and money. Top that off with getting to know personally some of the top names in Bigfootery and it's a bargain! IMO

BFF Patron

Is attending a conference worth it? I have been to two now. While there are some spectics, and not sure of what they heard or saw people, you can talk face to face with notables in the field and meet other researchers. I talked to Dr Meldrum a couple of times and got a thumbs up on a footprint find, arranged to give Tom Cantrell a glyph find for his data base, talked to Bob Gimlin, and Derek Randles, found out from Scott Taylor about issues in Washingtons BFRO, and on a short hike with everyone but Gimlin, watched Cliff Barackman cast a footprint with additional comments and suggestions by Dr M and Derek R about documentation. At this point in time all of that was pertinent to me and well worth the cost of attending the conference. I brought the wife along, who attended what she wanted, she learned some things in the process, and for her it was a pleasant weekend trip.

At some point, other than meeting people again who are starting to recognize me too, it will probably loose its interest without new presentations and material. Certainly it does not hurt to have contacts who know you if you ever want to have them look at something you find. Randy

I wonder what folks like Gimlin, Cliff and Meldrum get paid to speak at these events?  This could be one of the $ benefits of being famous in the bf world!?!  No doubt we'll soon see the Sasquatch Ontario fella making the circuit.

I'd like to attend a good conference but they don't have them here in Ontario.  It would be interesting for sure.

t.

I saw a youtube video of an Ontario Conference a couple of years ago. You need to keep checking as they could have one again. Randy

• 3 months later...

It took a little time for the responses to roll in, but I just wanted to thank each of you who responded.  I would like to attend a conference (will be my first when I do), but it's not going to happen this year due to family/life situations.  I welcome any further feedback, especially from those who attend(ed) conferences this year.

BFF Patron

Well I went to the recent Western Bigfoot Society monthly meeting recently jumpstarted with the help of the vice-pres. of the group (whose name I blanked on) and Ray Crowe (who is quite a gentleman), originator of the Western Bigfoot Society and Track Record.  

It was a slide show presentation by Paul Graves re: stick formations, tracks/prints, general research & theories and even a few soundfiles without the sounds (presented visually with an spectrogram. Paul more than made up for it with a couple original songs and guitar work.

It was a fun time in a driving Pacific NW rainy Sat. night kind of way.  Lots of local BFers and a few well known personalities.  

Ray has one new book out and a second volume to followup his Track Record highlights of BF Behavior.  

post-86-0-99373300-1394502289_thumb.jpg

I got to examine the book and looks pretty hefty and I'd encourage everyone with means to support Ray in his efforts.

It's one of many monthly get togethers that footers do around the Portland area.  Apparently this article sums up the local scene pretty well.

http://www.bigfootlunchclub.com/2014/02/ray-crowes-western-bigfoot-society-in.html

Edited by bipedalist