Tree Break

norseman

the trees I'm talking about look like the one norseman showed. They are not whimpy trees very sturdy and older stunted by the conditions of the location. A man could not to begin to break them or twist them in any way. Most are around 4 to 6 inches in diameter and are found in close proximity to each other. I have no explanation to how they get broken, not shot, not weak at all, just twisted and broken. I guess lightning could do it but we just don't get lightning very often in the locations I'm at.

Edited by daveedoe

Guest Thepattywagon

A UFO landed on it maybe?

Interesting tree break. I think some of these are great evidence of the big guy.

I don't know exactly what snow and ice is capable of doing to a tree like that, but when I see pics of tree breaks here in Florida like these, I know it can't be attributed to snow and ice.

Thanks Norseman!

http://www.bfro.net/...rt.asp?id=34426

this is just north of my home town, Daytona Beach. As much as I hate to go there, the area is known for paranormal activity, which I have experienced myself. Even though I have read that there is a paranormal connection between the two, I'm not implying that. Just sayin'.

I love that area. The entire Tomoka River area is one of my favorite places. Unfortunately, I'm on the other side of the state now.

Here's another.....I can show you this stuff all day,

i can show this stuff all day long too bud.

there is a plethora of ways for trees to die in the selkirks.

a) pine beetle

B) dwarf mistletoe

c) blister rust

d) porcupine

e) woodpeckers

f) moose

e) elk

h) deer

i) lightning

j) wind

k) bears

l) fire

m) cedar rotting inside out

the list goes on......im not going to show you something unless it made me scratch my head just abit.

im not saying my tree break find is the result of a squatch. what iam saying is that it wasnt a tree break i could easily explain away.

and for the record indian lore does talk about twisted saplings as being a sign of a squatch. the denna indians come to mind.

iam not betting the farm mind u but iam definitely filing it away in the back of my mind.

Having spent many hours and days in the forest hiking, fishing, working and skiing, when I find these breaks I scratch my head too.

Norseman I know just what you are talking about.

I can show you all kinds of damaged trees in the national forest around here. These breaks are diferent period. I have no idea as to why or how they occur.

I am skeptical about the existance of Sasquatch but seeing the way these trees are broken makes one think.

I saw some where not sure if it was on this fourm. There was a guy who was placing trail cams all around the Gifford Pinchot NF. He came across a cache of green grand fir cones, silver fir cones or noble fir cones. These trees all grow at or above 3500 ft for the most part. the cache was found at a lower elevation and some had been eaten. He had no explanation as to how they would have been put there.

When I was younger friends and I would go in to the NF and pick cones for the forest service nursery. The douglas fir cones were small and hard to get much weight to get paid. We allways asked where we could get the noble fir cones and the silver fir cone because they were so big and the weight added up quickly. We allways had to get them at 4000 ft elevation because that was the ones the forest service wanted. Most of the trees were under twenty feet tall that we would climb with small branches but very strong.

I guess where i'm going with this is most the breaks I have seen are the noble, silver and grand fir trees. Good food source?

post-3060-0-37467800-1363992183_thumb.jp

post-3060-0-39213200-1363992194_thumb.jp

BFF Patron

I had a similar incident but it was with a cache of sunflower seeds that had been eaten (black oil not easily hulled by humans) in a place there should not have been one--off the beaten track. Would have taken a 500 lb chipmunk with hiking boots to get them there. Of all my research it is among one of the most troubling things I ever came across. They had not been digested and expelled. It was a nice neat pile of hulls. I tried hard to figure that one out. Anybody know of large land mammals that cache seeds in their mouth for redepositing..... no evidence of any bags, suppose something could have redeposited them a ways away in a paper bag or other bag that blew away...... and a large varmint with paws could have carefully eaten them one by one.... just didn't seem right.

To keep on thread, this site was within a 100 yards of one of the best stick layouts I've ever found in the crotch of a mature tripoplar tree.

Edited by bipedalist

Having spent many hours and days in the forest hiking, fishing, working and skiing, when I find these breaks I scratch my head too.

Norseman I know just what you are talking about.

I can show you all kinds of damaged trees in the national forest around here. These breaks are diferent period. I have no idea as to why or how they occur.

I am skeptical about the existance of Sasquatch but seeing the way these trees are broken makes one think.

Yes it does!

Not sure what makes them. But I'm on the hunt so i'm not ruling out anything............

I know that this doesn't apply to Norseman's tree, but I wanted to throw this out there: here in Oklahoma (and I have seen this elsewhere in the surrounding states) you can have a lot of tree breakage (is that a word?) due to ice storms and also by a thunderstorms/tornados. I know that you all are aware of this, but the tree breaks can be quite localized, random in pattern, and look pretty strange unless you know exactly what caused it.

After the ice storm of 2007, all (and I mean ALL) the trees in the areas affected (a good portion of E Oklahoma, SE Kansas, SW Missouri, NW Arkansas) were broken off at a nearly uniform height. The breaks were in all directions, with quite a bit of splitting (i.e. not clean breaks). There is still a lot of debris left in the woods and fields from this event. If you didn't see it before and afterward, you might not be able to determine what caused it. I have also seen where the ice formation in a storm was dependent on altitude, and the tree breakage was only in low-lying areas, such as in and around stream beds and drainages (sort of looked like topographic lines on a map, but not on a map). If you didn't know that there was a recent, localized ice storm, you might not be able to determine what caused the tree breakage.

Where tornados and other related storms occur, you can have a lot of tree breakage (obviously). However, one thing I learned from living here is that not all tornados are huge and powerful, and that the "smaller" ones can "hop" across the landscape: touching down, pulling up, then back down again, etc. When this occurs, the tree breakage can be slight, and the pattern complex, and it might not be real apparent as to what caused it, if you didn't see it or know about the tornado occurence. Add into this downbursts (localized, short duration, powerful down drafts, from thunderstorm collapses usually) and gust fronts (leading edge winds from a thunderstorm, can sometimes be powerful and damaging), and you can get quite a bit of localized tree breakage that might not have an obvious source.

I know what your talking about here to LaRue, The islands on the Columbia river are covered with cotton wood trees and when we get a silver thaw or a bad ice storm, afterwards it looks like a big lawn mower went over them broken off at the same height.

But the trees I'm talking about are at elevation and live in the harshest micro climates in the Cascade Mts. These trees are very sturdy. I'm sure some have weakness and do break but you would have to see them, the pictures Norsman has are pretty good examples. I plan to go get pictures this summer around here to show the snapped off and twisted trees.

To much snow up at those elevations right now to get in there. Again most of the trees I have seen are either silver fir or noble fir, not hardwood diciduous or even douglas firs. It apears to me Norsemans pictures are possibly a noble fir or silver fir.

I know what your talking about here to LaRue [...] But the trees I'm talking about are at elevation and live in the harshest micro climates in the Cascade Mts.

I know that what I mentioned didn't apply to this instance. I used to live at high elevations in the northern New Mexico, and never saw anything like what can be seen in the midwest/plains (whatever geographical categorization Oklahoma is in). I just thought I would throw it out there; sort of to say that knowing the local conditions and what can and does occur is of crucial importance in interpreting such data; and that care needs to be taken in generalizing cause/effect, based on occurrences and conditions that might not apply.

cervelo, I like the way you think. But again do you know how many snags and deadfall I buck packing mules? Alot. I have never seen a dead fall that I couldnt explain away easily. Thats not to say that a Squatch wouldnt push over a tree.....

Same wiith tree breaks, but again once in a blue moon I see something odd, ill document it and move on.

Guest Cervelo

Not direct at you brother :) sorry if it comes across that way.

Same here every now and then there's some weird stuff out there for sure!