Tree Break

norseman

Beautiful country Norseman. I grew up in Helena, Montana and still live close. From the early '80's to the early '90's my best friend who lives in Missoula, and I, spent a week most every year camping in a saddle above Lost Lake, up the Cedar Creek drainage from Superior on I90 and about a mile from the Idaho border. My avatar photo was taken at our regular camp site (where I also had my first possible encounter). Your video could be a double for that country. We camped at about 6,300 feet and hiked all over the area, almost always up. What I'm getting at is that thunder storms in this part of the world would be rare in the fall. I've seen my share of trees struck by lightning, one less than 50 feet from where I was walking during an early spring storm in Millington, Tennessee in 1970 when I was in Navy Avionics Class A school. I've never been confused about what caused the damage to those trees. In 1967 a friend and I lost the trail hiking through the Gates of the Mountains Wilderness NNE of Helena. We ended up making our way down a very steep mountain side that had been struck by a micro-burst and it is the most difficult terrain I've encountered in my nearly 62 years. Probably 50 or more acres of mature spruce, pine and fir 2 plus feet in diameter uprooted and strewn like match sticks. It was definitely not selective. The tiny ice cold stream at the bottom of the hill was as welcome a drink as I can remember, not to mention it was our guide to the Missouri and pick-up by a passing pleasure boat.

Arty treeburst is first what came to mind when I saw it. I am guessing that is not correct so perhaps:

Cold causes some trees to explode by freezing the sap, because it contains water, which expands as it freezes, creating a sound like a gunshot.

Beautiful country Norseman. I grew up in Helena, Montana and still live close. From the early '80's to the early '90's my best friend who lives in Missoula, and I, spent a week most every year camping in a saddle above Lost Lake, up the Cedar Creek drainage from Superior on I90 and about a mile from the Idaho border. My avatar photo was taken at our regular camp site (where I also had my first possible encounter). Your video could be a double for that country. We camped at about 6,300 feet and hiked all over the area, almost always up. What I'm getting at is that thunder storms in this part of the world would be rare in the fall. I've seen my share of trees struck by lightning, one less than 50 feet from where I was walking during an early spring storm in Millington, Tennessee in 1970 when I was in Navy Avionics Class A school. I've never been confused about what caused the damage to those trees. In 1967 a friend and I lost the trail hiking through the Gates of the Mountains Wilderness NNE of Helena. We ended up making our way down a very steep mountain side that had been struck by a micro-burst and it is the most difficult terrain I've encountered in my nearly 62 years. Probably 50 or more acres of mature spruce, pine and fir 2 plus feet in diameter uprooted and strewn like match sticks. It was definitely not selective. The tiny ice cold stream at the bottom of the hill was as welcome a drink as I can remember, not to mention it was our guide to the Missouri and pick-up by a passing pleasure boat.

i know right where you were at, the mallard larkin primitive area sits on the other side in idaho. and yes the bitter roots and selkirks are basically the same linear mtn range. the selkirks sit to the west of bonners ferry idaho with cabinets and purcells sitting to the east. technically though the canadians consider the selkirks as part of the columbia mountains which would include the columbia ice fields and not part of the rockies. the usa makes no such distinction.

the columbia ice fields are the largest glaciers outside of the artic in the world.

Any thoughts on what it could be?

Bigfoot? Edited.

Maybe? That's why I posted it. It was one of those head stratchers......

Yesterday I came upon a poplar tree that was broken and the top eaten by a moose, pretty cool stuff. Most tree breaks have very mundane explanations.

Here is some pictures I promised of my Moosexpedition!

Pic 1: Big ole hoof!

photo2.jpg

Pic 2: Notice my Copenhagen can far left.........little bigger than Whitetail poo eh?

photo4.jpg

Pic 3: This is FS road 100 in the White mountain area just north of the Colville Indian Res.

photo6.jpg

Pic 4: This is apart of the Barnaby Creek drainage.

photo7.jpg

Pic 5: Tree break!

photo.jpg

Pic 6: Caused by a hungry moose notice tracks in the right hand side of picture. He was after the buds on the poplar trees....

photo1.jpg

Pic 7: This is me, with my son Wyatt taking the photo. We built a lean to, that is yes as cold and damp as it looks.......it's nice looking at the fire all night long though. The fire got BIGGER as the night wore on! I've decided I'm gray beard enough that my sleeping on the hard ground with a zipperless sleeping bag days are numbered! ;) Also notice my uber tacticool 320 lumen tac light mounted on my guide gun.....it freakin looks like car head lights when you snap it on! Thx Surefire!

photo5.jpg

We didn't find any antler sheds sadly, nor did we find any evidence of a Squatch. The White mountain area is to the west of Colville (and south abit), I generally like going east to the Selkirks because they are wetter, which I feel improves the odds of an encounter. But for short little trips of under an hour it's nice to get to an area like this, I look at White mountain from my house, but have to go up to a bridge at Barney's to cross the Columbia making the trip farther than the crow flies.

Forgot this photo, it's just another photo of the same crick:

photo3.jpg

Edited by norseman

Guest COGrizzly

Ace, I showed the pic to our golf course maintenance superintenent. He LOL'd at your milk dud comment!

He told me those pebbles are organic fertilizer for the greens. He even showed me! He said everyone going organic these days. He said we could even eat one, its so safe for the environment. They tasted kinda earthy grassy like.

post-126-0-59341400-1365376493_thumb.jpg