High End Research Gear And Equipment

NathanFooter

Gigantor....great catch!!! You are always on the cutting edge. Kudos!

I use a GoPro which can be a pain to wear on your head or chest. I'll have to look into this.

BFF Patron

My GoPro mounts on the top of my hiking pole.  I have the small cube shaped one.   They are loosing money because of the knock offs so not sure how much longer they will be around.      Since my hand is always on the pole it does not take much movement to turn it on.   Or if I hear something behind me,  I turn it on, and while looking forward, rotate the hiking pole around to look behind me.   So far have got a lot of nothing doing that but never hurts to try.  

Edited by SWWASAS

Admin
3 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

My GoPro mounts on the top of my hiking pole.  I have the small cube shaped one.   They are loosing money because of the knock offs so not sure how much longer they will be around.      Since my hand is always on the pole it does not take much movement to turn it on.   Or if I hear something behind me,  I turn it on, and while looking forward, rotate the hiking pole around to look behind me.   So far have got a lot of nothing doing that but never hurts to try.  

I have the same one. How do you know where you are aiming?

That's why I like the sunglasses, you record what you see.

BFF Patron

Are you talking about behind me or something I see in front of me?   The wide angle view is pretty hard to miss something completely.   And hopefully a subject BF is not very far away.   Resulting image would be small.      I often practice on people I see doing stuff.     The hiking pole makes it easier to hold the camera rock steady.     Any camera movement makes it less likely to see movement in the woods like peeking behavior.   But if the camera is held still, you can readily see movement relative to fixed objects like tree trunks.    Sometimes if I hear something,  I just plant the camera aimed in the direction of the noise and hope it picks up some movement.      Because of that wide angle, if one did capture a BF,  it would be a real exercise trying to determine size etc.  There is also some distortion, especially side to side.       Would take a lot of experimentation.     I hope I have the presence of mind to mark my location on the ground.    .    Without that,  relative size reference and angles would be hard to determine.     The P/G film is a good example of that.     We have no idea where the camera was when portions of it were filmed so cannot determine Patty's height relative to trees etc.   In a few years with tree growth, even that became impossible. if you did have the filming locations.     Those sun glasses are good unless you need prescription ones like I do.   

• 3 weeks later...

I am going to get the Pulsar Helion XQ30F thermal monocular when it goes on sale for the right price. I could have had it for ~$2,150 last Fall from OpticsPlanet when they had a deep discount but didn't pull the trigger.  I should have.

If anyone happens to see any Fathers Day sales going on this week on thermal imagers, I would appreciate a heads up. If I see any, I'll post them up here as well.

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • 2 months later...

I know it's nowhere near as exciting as talking about FLIRs and cameras, but I just bought these pants and love them! I use them every day walking the dog in our rainy Oregon. Women squatchers, take note! Duluth Trading Co. has great products and a wide variety of sizes! 

https://www.duluthtrading.com/womens-flexpedition-boot-cut-pants-95704.html?cgid=womens-bottoms-active-pants&dwvar_95704_color=BLK#start=5&cgid=womens-bottoms-active-pants

Also, one of my best purchases ever was my Kelly kettle. I have the large aluminum one, but this is on my wish list.

https://www.kellykettleusa.com/trekker-small-stainless-steel-kelly-kettle

they are awesome and so simple to use.

The pants have a 4-way stretch with a nylon/spandex ratio of 89/11. I bet they are very comfortable and move with you, rather than against you, when you hike.

BFF Patron

My power went out for 30 minutes the other day and while I had the lid off my emergency/camping power pack recharging the battery, I thought I would show a picture of what it looks like.    It is hardly high tech but provides power for a long time.     Consists of a large deep discharge AGM solar power battery,   USB phone charger and 12 volt cigarette lighter outlets,  a 600 Watt DC to AC power converter with 2 120VAC outlets, and a digital volt meter to monitor the battery condition.         It can power my BBQ pellet grill, and since I have replaced incandescent lighting with low watt LED lights in my family room,  I can cook outside and light up the whole room with the output.     I have a noisy gas generator but this is a lot more convenient to use until i know the power will be out for hours.    I have a solar panel I connect during summer months to keep it charged but don't get much sun in the winter and worry about he solar panel blowing around so that is not deployed in the winter.  

IMG_1622 (7).jpeg

^^^^^ You omitted details about the storage tote. Looks like a Rubbermaid ActionPacker. They are durable and handy to have. I have several of the 8 gallon size. The end handles are a locking type to secure the lid. It can take a pad lock. They seem to be hard to find. I buy them on sale at Fred Meyer. REI sells them too. REI price is $29 for the 8 gallon unit. Larger sizes are available. I have an 8 gallon tote for some of my prospecting equipment. I drilled holes in the end, attached a rope bridle and literally drag it through the woods.

I use a go pro also. The only hassle I've had so far is lts really no good in the early lite of a hunt or the evening hunt just before dark. I came on a black bear with 3 cubs last year on Tibbs cycle trail up Cohutta. It was just breaking day lite and I thought I had great shots of the little ones going up a tree in front of me. When I got to my stand and checked the camera I had NOTHING!!! Was too dark for the go pro..... Oh yeah, the sow was not interested in me at all which I found strange to say the least.... Plus I only had my AR15 with win 62 gr power point rds in it, I was hog hunting. 

BFF Patron
On 12/11/2018 at 1:58 PM, Catmandoo said:

^^^^^ You omitted details about the storage tote. Looks like a Rubbermaid ActionPacker. They are durable and handy to have. I have several of the 8 gallon size. The end handles are a locking type to secure the lid. It can take a pad lock. They seem to be hard to find. I buy them on sale at Fred Meyer. REI sells them too. REI price is $29 for the 8 gallon unit. Larger sizes are available. I have an 8 gallon tote for some of my prospecting equipment. I drilled holes in the end, attached a rope bridle and literally drag it through the woods.

I got the container at BiMart.  They had a really good sale price on it.   It is a Rubbermaid Action Packer.    Very sturdy.     I may need to use it tonight as they are talking about a high winds event hitting Western WA and Oregon.    I have a generator but it is a hassle to get it out and hooked up.   One of these days I am going to get a transfer panel.     You cannot have a generator near the house for fear of carbon monoxide poisoning.   With this thing I have a couple of hours to make the decision to crank up the generator to keep the refrigerator cold.  

Edited by SWWASAS

• 2 weeks later...

Did Santa stop by with research equipment for anyone this Christmas?

I found a Lithium-ion jump starter in my stocking to have in the car in the event my battery goes dead in the backcountry.  I was planning on getting one, never said a thing to anyone about it,  and miraculously it appears.  Santa is either intuitive or can read minds!

BFF Patron

My worry is a dead alternator in the back country.     My truck is getting on in years and never had the alternator replaced.  

• gigantor unfeatured this topic