High End Research Gear And Equipment

NathanFooter

The sure fire Maximus headlamp (1000 lumems) and the streamlight Streamlight ProTac HL5-X (3500 lumens) are great spotting lights

This is 2,000 lumens on the medium setting on a Fenix flashlight (it’s  high setting is 4,000 lumens and its turbo setting is 6,000 lumens) on a night hike near v rock in southern Colorado

im trying to avoid Bigfoot’s by doing this

i get scared

EN43UVQ.jpg

Edited by RedHawk454
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RedHawk454 said:

The sure fire Maximus headlamp (1000 lumems) and the streamlight Streamlight ProTac HL5-X (3500 lumens) are great spotting lights

This is 2,000 lumens on the medium setting on a Fenix flashlight (it’s  high setting is 4,000 lumens and its turbo setting is 6,000 lumens) on a night hike near v rock in southern Colorado

im trying to avoid Bigfoot’s by doing this

i get scared

EN43UVQ.jpg

That's one bright headlamp! Sure wish I had what we used on our bouy tender up in Alaska. When we had a emergency call to go out and rescue a fishing vessel that was in trouble, we would blast the ship's horn along with using this powerful spot light we had above the bridge shining it on a mountain side above the town to get the crew back to the ship so we could get underway. That spotlight was incredibly super bright lighting up a large section of that mountain. If anything was walking across that mountain, we would of saw it. 

2 hours ago, MindSquatch said:

That's one bright headlamp! Sure wish I had what we used on our bouy tender up in Alaska. When we had a emergency call to go out and rescue a fishing vessel that was in trouble, we would blast the ship's horn along with using this powerful spot light we had above the bridge shining it on a mountain side above the town to get the crew back to the ship so we could get underway. That spotlight was incredibly super bright lighting up a large section of that mountain. If anything was walking across that mountain, we would of saw it. 

2 hours ago, MindSquatch said:

Thats is not the headlamp but a fenix RC40.

its a great light

1 minute ago, RedHawk454 said:

its a great light

Thanks! Had a flashlight and headlamp that both failed me back in late November on a night hike in the Sierra's. Luckily I knew my way around and made it back to my vehicle safety, little spooky though with the Bigfoot's in the area.

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

MindSquatch: Nice light.  BF would not want any part of that.   I think you are safer with a light in BF country than with a gun.      I see what looks like eye shine  left of that first big tree on the left side of the trail.    Not BF but something else with cat shaped eyes.   .  

Edited by SWWASAS

22 hours ago, RedHawk454 said:

its a great light

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have never used a Fenix before, but after looking into their website was impressed with their line-up.

Saw this 9,000 lumens one, the TK72R, and it looks like a monster flashlight - excellent for searching for a missing hiker in the forest.

https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-tk72r-rechargeable-led-flashlight-9000-lumens-1/

Problem I noticed is the short duration of battery life at high lumens.  For a multi-day backpacking trip, you probably have to keep the lumens low.

RedHawk454, what is your experience with battery life on your Fenix?

Like SWWASAS said above, lights usually repel the BF's away and will reduce the odds of a sighting.

When I go to BF hot zones I minimize the use of flashlight at camp, but when I am hiking in the trails at night, I don't follow the BFRO suggestion of using only red light head-lamp and need to use a good white-light head-lamp.

I am very night-blind and can't see much with the red-light only.

I tried it in once in a BFRO trip and almost got impaled by a fallen tree with branches sticking out.

After that incident, I refused to follow the BFRO guidance in order to stay alive.

Some BFRO leaders let you use the white light for safety (like last year in the WA trip the 2 expedition leaders were very reasonable), but others are anal retentive about it and tell you to stay in camp if not using red light.

12 hours ago, Explorer said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have never used a Fenix before, but after looking into their website was impressed with their line-up.

Saw this 9,000 lumens one, the TK72R, and it looks like a monster flashlight - excellent for searching for a missing hiker in the forest.

https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-tk72r-rechargeable-led-flashlight-9000-lumens-1/

Problem I noticed is the short duration of battery life at high lumens.  For a multi-day backpacking trip, you probably have to keep the lumens low.

RedHawk454, what is your experience with battery life on your Fenix?

Like SWWASAS said above, lights usually repel the BF's away and will reduce the odds of a sighting.

When I go to BF hot zones I minimize the use of flashlight at camp, but when I am hiking in the trails at night, I don't follow the BFRO suggestion of using only red light head-lamp and need to use a good white-light head-lamp.

I am very night-blind and can't see much with the red-light only.

I tried it in once in a BFRO trip and almost got impaled by a fallen tree with branches sticking out.

After that incident, I refused to follow the BFRO guidance in order to stay alive.

Some BFRO leaders let you use the white light for safety (like last year in the WA trip the 2 expedition leaders were very reasonable), but others are anal retentive about it and tell you to stay in camp if not using red light.

I think generally on the high mode on any flashlight its run time is 1 hour to 1.5 hours.  And on the Fenix RC40 its run time @ 6,000 lumens is an hour I think.

The Fenix RC40 is great flashlight but its a huge.  If you drive a vehicle to your campsite you can bring it but the thing is is that the flashlights size would be cumbersome to haul it into the woods if you backpack in.  

but dont get me wrong, the 4,000 and 6,000 lumens are great

Fenix makes great lights but I've moved more towards American made

The surefire EDCL2-T is great little flashlight @ 1,200 lumens but it isnt rechargeable.  

and arent red light flashlights not very bright to begin with? 

Edited by RedHawk454

On 1/23/2019 at 11:21 AM, SWWASAS said:

MindSquatch: Nice light.  BF would not want any part of that.   I think you are safer with a light in BF country than with a gun.      I see what looks like eye shine  left of that first big tree on the left side of the trail.    Not BF but something else with cat shaped eyes.   .  

This?

redhawk454.jpg

thats a branch curling back up

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Admin

^^^  This is how to post a pic so it displays in the Front Page slider...

2019-01-14_17-21-51.gif

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
BFF Patron

I suppose that if you think you can hunt down BF you would try any product you can.   Whatever electrical effects a human generates drops of with the inverse square of the distance.     So beyond a few yards the effects would not be measurable or detectable by some animal sensitive to it.    Quite frankly in spite of some peoples self image as mighty hunters,  I do not think human  hunting prowess makes much difference with something that can move away several times faster than a human can close.    Smelling pleasant might do more good in interesting a BF to approach than any attempts at disguising scent.  Given my own experience with BF displeasure when I urinate certainly you better not do much of that in the field.     Perhaps guys might considering raiding their significant others perfume stock and hope to lure in a BF curious about the scent.    

6 hours ago, Yuchi1 said:

Anyone had any experience with these:

https://www.hecshunting.com/

https://www.ozonicshunting.com/

Advertised heavily on outdoor channels as devices for electrical field and scent elimination.

I have not used any of the above.  The clothing is a sewable shielding material that is available if you want to sew your own. Beware of some  of the materials as there can be a reaction with skin contact.  I did not waste much time on their website to determine how much water the material can or cannot handle. Most shielding does not like water. If you want to ground yourself, check out the wrist strap grounds that workers with sensitive electronics wear. Also, foot grounding set ups are made. Much cheaper than fashion hunting clothing.  Buy some, go to an area with lightning, and start a new thread with your results.

Some here on the BFF  are advocates of no camo, no surprises. Be yourself.

5 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

Perhaps guys might considering raiding their significant others perfume stock and hope to lure in a BF curious about the scent.  

Really?  Wearing foo-foo is questionable. And, on your way home from your research area, do not, repeat, do not stop for a cold one at  The Blue Oyster Bar!

On 2/7/2019 at 10:34 PM, Catmandoo said:

Really?  Wearing foo-foo is questionable. And, on your way home from your research area, do not, repeat, do not stop for a cold one at  The Blue Oyster Bar!

♫ DUN-DA-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUNNNNNNNN ♫

BFF Patron

Apparently you have not gone past the male scent counter lately at your local Macy's.    There is little difference between scents women and men wear any more.    That is probably why places like the Blue Oyster Bar have gone out of business in this area.    But my point is if we have a creature that cannot be tracked because of how fast it moves,  why not do something to draw it in?  

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic