High End Research Gear And Equipment

NathanFooter

BFF Patron

One guy in a different forum claims he was sexually attacked by a female BF one night.    Maybe he did not know what his howls meant?   

1 hour ago, SWWASAS said:

One guy in a different forum claims he was sexually attacked by a female BF one night.    Maybe he did not know what his howls meant?   

Before or after?

• Haha 1

BFF Patron

You think she might have been a bit rough monkeying around do you?   

21 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

I read of such a claim by a Koyukon native in "Make Prayers to the Raven". He wasn't howling. She followed him around for a while before making her move. Days, I think. He clams to have killed her with his knife. 

BFF Patron

As I recall this claim,  the BF sneaked in to the mans tent at night and he woke up to being molested.     MIB knows the story too.    He may have even met the guy.   Could you imagine ending up with some unknown to medicine STD as the result of the experience.    How do you explain that to your doctor?  

To use a knife to say no is pretty hard core Huntster!   Then again,  maybe female BF are like female Black Widow spiders and kill and eat the male after sex?     

Edited by SWWASAS

2 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

.........To use a knife to say no is pretty hard core Huntster! ..........

Seems like it to me. I'd just as soon shoot her. I'd guess maybe he wanted to tussle with her a bit just to make sure he didn't want it?

.........Then again,  maybe female BF are like female Black Widow spiders and kill and eat the male after sex?

Aren't all females of all species that way to some extent? 😳

On 4/24/2019 at 9:21 AM, SWWASAS said:

MIB knows the story too.    He may have even met the guy.

If it's the one I think you're talking about, at one time I knew him pretty well, or thought I did, and it took way too long to see through the facade.  My advice is to avoid him, he's poison.  

MIB

• 1 month later...
BFF Patron

I just got done messing around with a WiFi endoscope that might have be of use in camp or away from camp for that matter.       It has a small HD camera about the size if my pinkie attached to about a 25 feet cable.    The camera is designed to go into pipes looking for obstructions.     So it is waterproof and could be placed anywere around camp looking out or in at camp.     The picture signal is sent via wifi directly to your smart phone.    The software allows you to record images captured with your smart phone.      Stated range of the WiFi signal is 10 meters.    Since it is designed for imaging stuff close it only is in good focus out to about 4 feet.     The highest picture resolution is 1600 X 1200 and very sharp.      That may be an advantage if it is put into something left around for BF to examine.    We have too many blurry close images of BF close to game cameras.  

Edited by SWWASAS
  • Upvote 1

On 4/25/2019 at 9:10 PM, MIB said:

If it's the one I think you're talking about, at one time I knew him pretty well, or thought I did, and it took way too long to see through the facade.  My advice is to avoid him, he's poison.  

MIB

why?  is it because he storied about an encounter?

53 minutes ago, RedHawk454 said:

why?  is it because he storied about an encounter?

No.   Borderline personality disorder.  

MIB 

35 minutes ago, MIB said:

No.   Borderline personality disorder.  

MIB 

oh okay, thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/23/2019 at 12:02 PM, SWWASAS said:

Reminds me of the old joke...

"You're not really here for the hunting, are you?"

Anyone here have any experience with the FLIR Scout vs the Leupold thermal monoculars?  We are getting out into the field a lot more this year and wouldn't mind dropping $500 or so on an entry thermal scope.

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot

To be clear, are you comparing the FLIR Scout TK and the Leopold Tracker 2?  If so,  there are several things to consider based on what features are important to you. 

The Scout can record videos and pictures which I don't think is available with the Leopold.  The refresh rate (frame rate) with the Scout TK is 9Hz whereas it is 30Hz with the Leopold. That means a fast-moving animal will be a bit blurry with the Scout compared to the Leopold.  That favors the Leopold however almost all of my thermal recording/viewing has been of animals moving slowly or stopped. The refresh rate is less important in those instances.  The clarity of the lens and image as better with the Leopold.  Finally, check my numbers but I believe the FOV of the Scout is wider than the Leopold (20 vs 14). I think the wider FOV is better because it allows you to see more without having to move the scope.

If I were choosing between the two, I'd choose the Scout all day long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahNgbENa_MI

Edited to mention ---- I've viewed both scopes in a store but never in the field.

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

To be clear, are you comparing the FLIR Scout TK and the Leopold Tracker 2?  If so,  there are several things to consider based on what features are important to you. 

The Scout can record videos and pictures which I don't think is available with the Leopold.  The refresh rate (frame rate) with the Scout TK is 9Hz whereas it is 30Hz with the Leopold. That means a fast-moving animal will be a bit blurry with the Scout compared to the Leopold.  That favors the Leopold however almost all of my thermal recording/viewing has been of animals moving slowly or stopped. The refresh rate is less important in those instances.  The clarity of the lens and image as better with the Leopold.  Finally, check my numbers but I believe the FOV of the Scout is wider than the Leopold (20 vs 14). I think the wider FOV is better because it allows you to see more without having to move the scope.

If I were choosing between the two, I'd choose the Scout all day long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahNgbENa_MI

Edited to mention ---- I've viewed both scopes in a store but never in the field.

Thanks for your response.  I'm looking at the Leupold LTO tracker HD.  

In your opinion, how sturdy was the build on each?  I have heard that the FLIR Scout feels a bit flimsy, although the video that you posted says that it is the more sturdy of the two.

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot

The build on the Leopold seemed more solid. It's lack of recording ability made it a non-starter for me. I wanted to be able to upload a video to my computer and analyze it.

I didn't notice anything flimsy about the Scout. If you're in drivable distance to a Cabelas, I would call ahead then go there and actually handle both of the units you are considering and see how things appears through the viewfinder.

Finally, if come into a cache of money, I'd consider Pulsar over FLIR. I've found you get more for your money and you can get good deals more easily if you know where to go.

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic