High End Research Gear And Equipment

NathanFooter

Thanks for the information.  I went with the Flir Scout TK, mainly for the ability to record video without having to rely on an external recorder.

I get it in tomorrow, so I hope to get it into the field this weekend.  

For those of you who are looking for a Flir TK, pay attention to eBay.  Authorized Flir dealers will run specials on eBay that they do not offer on their own websites.  I was able to get one if these units for under $500 shipped....no tax.

• Upvote 2

Congratulations on the Scout. You're going to have a great time with it and it will open up your approach to doing night-time ops.  Now, you'll be able to see what's going on out there.

Let's us know what you think and post up a video or two.

• Upvote 1

Good point about how to buy it. When I was looking, Pulsar required dealers to advertise at a required price.  If you called them, they could offer a lower price, they just couldn't advertise it. 

I got a heck of a deal and would suggest to those looking for a thermal to actually call a dealer to see what they'll offer it for. The small dealers who have an internet-based thermal business are the ones I found who were willing to negotiate a price. 

• Upvote 1

Garmin 64ST

Anyone looking to add a solid GPS unit to their gear?

I recently upgraded to a 64ST and and have been very impressed with it so far.  Sportsman's Warehouse has this model on sale for $189.99. 

This unit felt much more durable than their new 66i.  The 64ST has been invaluable, as we like to go into new areas and get off the beaten path.

• gigantor unfeatured this topic

Not really high end gear, but something that I am going to try.

I have my ham radio license and I have a very high end kenwood handheld radio (TH-D74A) that has built in APRS.

APRS is a system that uses a gps and a packet of data sent over a ham radio frequency that lets others track your position.

I don't want to risk losing my expensive kenwood in a vehicle break in, so here is what I am going to try.

I have a cheap baofeng handheld radio, with a magnetic vehicle mount antennae

I just purchased a cable to connect it to an old android phone with a built in gps.

I have downloaded APRSdroid onto the radio, and this will control when the radio send out the packet information.

The phone is old and has no sim card in it, it is just used for the app and gps.

Anyone can go onto the website aprs.fi and look up my position on a map as long as they know my call sign.

I am really interested in seeing how this works

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

So far so good

My wife was able to follow my progress from home to Roche Lake

Just need to get a bigger battery for the radio

Getting my HAM license is something that I have had on the back burner for years.  I am going to try and get my license by the end of the year, schedule permitting.

• Upvote 2

Like a lot of people, I panic bought a few Baofeng radios.  I figure that these will be the gateway to getting involved in HAM.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have one of those emergency satellite beacon rescue link thingees? What the heck are they actually called, what does it do and how much does it cost?

There are several variations of a personal locator beacon (PLB). I have the ACR ResQ LInk which is a dedicated PLB that does only one thing...it calls in the cavalry with the push of a button.  It must be registered with the NOAA which provides emergency information to search and rescue.  You pay for the unit ~$325 but there are no monthly monitoring charges.  The unit operates on the government COSPAS-SARSAT satellite system, has a 406 MHz and a 121.5 MHz homing capability and built-in redundancy.   The battery is good for 5 years and then you buy a new unit or replace the battery. It must be done by the provider. That cost is ~$90.

https://www.acrartex.com/t/categories/outdoor

The other option is to go with a company that uses a private satellite-based system such as GEOS/Iridium/Globalstar.  An example is the Garmin InReach, Mini, and GPSMAP series. These units can also send out a message to loved ones such as "I'm OK" or other predetermined messages. You can also send out a typed message describing the emergency and what specific treatment is needed (heart attack, broken leg, snake bite). That can be beneficial.  The downside is there is a monthly charge for that service which when added to the cost of the PLB can be a bit expensive.  The Garmin devices must have the battery charged and it messaging use can affect the charge.  Also, if you forget to charge in before going out in the field, you could find yourself up a creek without a paddle.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/c16841-p1.html

In determining which unit and format to use, it was vitally important to me that I have the most reliable unit that can transmit signals under the canopy of trees. I do my sasquatching in an area with a thick tree cover and few places to see open sky.  The messaging system was a distant second in my decision path. I opted for what I believe is a stronger transmission system (5 watts) of the dedicated COSPAS-SARSAT system. Others may want to send periodic messages that tells their loved ones they're ok.  

Finally,  my preference was to have a unit that would not fail due to my human error.  I didn't want to worry about subscriptions, battery charging, passwords expiring, credit card issues, Bluetooth pairing and other technical matters. I prefer the ease and comfort of tossing my PLB in the backpack and not wondering if I forgot something.  I think I am in the minority and most folks probably prefer the added features of the messaging system.

Here is some excellent background information about PLBs and how they work:

https://backpackinglight.com/satellite_communications_sotmr_part1/

https://www.sarsat.noaa.gov/satellites1.html

Edited by wiiawiwb

BFF Patron

I have the ACR PLB.     You can shop around and get them for under $300.     Like mentioned the batteries need replacing every 5 years.    I found a place in Warrenton OR that replaces the batteries.  Seems like anyplace that has a fishing fleet also services GPS survival gear.   Boats have units that activate automatically should they start sinking.    My unit is about the size of a cigaret pack and I just carry it in a pocket in my pack.     You have to reregister with NOAA ever 3 years and provide a list of contacts should it be triggered.   That means you have to have several people who you know and trust to know what you might be up to and call the Sheriff Department in the appropriate area if you set it off.     As I understand NOAA calls the contact list and gives who they call the coordinates of where the beacon is.  I do not think they call law enforcement directly.   My contacts have been told if I set it off I am in serious trouble in some life threatening situation.   I would not set if off for getting a flat tire or something like that.  

I went with the Garmin Inreach Mini.  I found the combination of satellite communications/texting, personal locator beacon, and GPS to be very attractive.  Considering the importance of this piece of equipment, I found the cost per month (under $20) very reasonable.  

One of the things that I like about it is that you have the ability to communicate  via text with S&R if you do ever need to use the emergency beacon.

The GPS function is pretty rudimentary, however we us that as a potential backup to our Garmin 64ST.

BFF Patron

I have yet to find a Garmin GPS that is as good as my IPhone just because of the small Garmin Screen size.   I have a Garmin model and no longer carry it.    I use an IPhone app called TOPOMaps+  that allows USGS maps to be downloaded into memory and work while not in cell coverage areas.    Some forest service roads are so poorly signed,   it is nice to know where you are.   I have seen roads with out of date signs (old designations),  signs shot to pieces,   or just plain missing.     With any device GPS burns battery fast so you need a way to charge or replace batteries.  

29 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

I have yet to find a Garmin GPS that is as good as my IPhone just because of the small Garmin Screen size.   I have a Garmin model and no longer carry it.    I use an IPhone app called TOPOMaps+  that allows USGS maps to be downloaded into memory and work while not in cell coverage areas.    Some forest service roads are so poorly signed,   it is nice to know where you are.   I have seen roads with out of date signs (old designations),  signs shot to pieces,   or just plain missing.     With any device GPS burns battery fast so you need a way to charge or replace batteries.  

The 64ST has a screen large enough to be useful.  

The Inreach Mini has a very basic GPS display, however paired with a smartphone it is amazing.  Keeping equipment charged is a bother, but worth it.

BFF Patron

Whatever works for you.  I prefer carrying one device that works rather than dealing with two.   I like to print a paper USGS map to carry and just position fix now and then.    I can map read well enough not to have to do that very often.    I have dealt with Garmin associated with aviation for years.    Their data base updates are expensive.    I carry a little solar panel in my pack capable of charging the phone.    

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic