High End Research Gear And Equipment

NathanFooter

@Redbone

Just found spare batteries for the Sport on eBay.  

I ordered a pack of 4 along with a charger.  They look to be OEM, but I guess that I won't know if they are good until I test them.

If they turn out ok, I will forward you a link.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

@Redbone

Just found spare batteries for the Sport on eBay.  

I ordered a pack of 4 along with a charger.  They look to be OEM, but I guess that I won't know if they are good until I test them.

If they turn out ok, I will forward you a link.

Seems like a good idea, so I just ordered a 2-pack and charger, from Amazon. It's the Fuji NP-50 battery.

FYI - a question was asked on Amazon if it can record while charging... I tested with an auxiliary battery and it can.

13 minutes ago, Redbone said:

Seems like a good idea, so I just ordered a 2-pack and charger, from Amazon. It's the Fuji NP-50 battery.

FYI - a question was asked on Amazon if it can record while charging... I tested with an auxiliary battery and it can.

The only thing that I don't like about the Sport is the charging port cover.  It doesn't seem like it is going to be very durable.

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • 1 month later...
On 9/10/2019 at 8:23 AM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Thanks for the information.  I went with the Flir Scout TK, mainly for the ability to record video without having to rely on an external recorder.

I get it in tomorrow, so I hope to get it into the field this weekend.  

For those of you who are looking for a Flir TK, pay attention to eBay.  Authorized Flir dealers will run specials on eBay that they do not offer on their own websites.  I was able to get one if these units for under $500 shipped....no tax.

Thanks for the advice, BRB, and everyone. 

Well, I finally did it. I pulled the trigger on a FLIR TK Scout just moments ago. It seemed like it took forever to save up for! 

Now the waiting begins.

@Madison5716 , I hope we can make it out to one of our lakes one of these nights soon!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Good move, NW. Congratulations. I know what it's like to save for something more expensive than a month's worth of groceries. It took a while for me, too. And one doesn't have to wait until night because it works day or night. Much better in cooler weather, so you should have a ball this time of year. Can't wait to see what you might post on the "Thermal Image" thread :) Last Christmas "Santa" brought a 32,000 Wh power pack which will charge an iPhone 11 times, or a Microsoft Surface/iPad 3-4 times. Takes a helluva a while to charge the thing up but with it I can extend my FLIR Scout time quite a bit. I thank BlackRockBigfoot and others for that tip ;) 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthWind said:

Thanks for the advice, BRB, and everyone. 

Well, I finally did it. I pulled the trigger on a FLIR TK Scout just moments ago. It seemed like it took forever to save up for! 

Now the waiting begins.

@Madison5716 , I hope we can make it out to one of our lakes one of these nights soon!

Congratulations!  Remember, you can charge it while you use it.  Get a decent portable charger and a long cable and you can really stretch out the battery lifein the field

@NorthWind

You are out in the field quite a bit like me.  I would highly recommend one of these cases to carry your Flir in.  They do a great job of protecting your equipment.  You can find them on Amazon, eBay, or directly from Flir.

flir_systems_4126886_night_vision_case.jpg

Congratulations NorthWind.  You're going to love it. For years, I would go out into the night and listen in the woods at some of my favorite spots. I was armed with a flashlight which isn't that helpful. Now, you can become part of the night and participate as things move about. You'll be wanting to spend more of your time in the dark of night. Remember, black hot or white hot as red hot will distort.

Here is a video review of the FLIR case for about $30. It starts at 5:18:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8_mOcGuC_E

I'll suggest another carrying pouch for consideration. The Maxpedition 10"x4" bottle holder. Why this? Several reasons. First, and most important, it is padded. You can actually add more padding if you like. The last thing you want to be be out in the dark of night and bang the carrying case against a tree or branch. It  happens.  This pouch will help protect against unintentional damage. Second, it has a compartment in front to carry accessories such as an extra battery, charger, or USB cable. It costs  ~$10 more than the FLIR pouch.

Here is a review of it and its 12" x 4" larger brother:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23o4CokBiDg

Another 10" x 4" pouch from Condor that is almost identical at only $16.95:

https://tacticalgear.com/condor-h2o-pouch-multicam#/22485/848/1

Video review:

A few other options:

https://tacticalgear.com/hazard-4-broadside-utility-pouch-coyote

https://tacticalgear.com/hazard-4-flip-bottle-pouch-coyote

Finally, if you have to have branded gear, here is Dave Canterbury's (Dual Survival) version of the above:

https://www.selfrelianceoutfitters.com/products/pathfinder-bottle-bag-gen3-black

Here are a few very cool ways to modify the pouches above:

I'm going to get one of the above pouches and am looking very closely at the Condor H2O Pouch for $16.95. I'll add a tad more padding to the padding already there as there is adequate space to do so. For that price, I don't know how you can go wrong.  I'll have the extra front pouch to include an extra battery and other accessories.

You can add side pouches to the Condor as well as they attach using the molle straps on either side.  It is a versatile piece of equipment to incorporate in my night time adventures. here are some ways others have added to the Condor:

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/condor-h2o-pouch-wip.220342/#post-4094808

Edited by wiiawiwb

The FLIR Scout has an internal rechargeable battery that can only be changed out by FLIR so it needs to be sent back to them and they will install a new one. IIRC the battery is good for two years. It's a drawback but that's the way it is

12 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Congratulations!  Remember, you can charge it while you use it.  Get a decent portable charger and a long cable and you can really stretch out the battery lifein the field

Thank you.  This is a great tip! 

How has yours held up in damp weather?

@wiiawiwb Thank you so much for the great ideas and detailed info. I may migrate to one of these after I save up some more cash again. For now, it goes in a Harbor Freight padded Pelican style case.

@hiflier, thank you as well. Yes, I know about the batter. Maybe by the time I need it there will be a YouTube video on how to change it out yourself. It cannot be too hard.

I have also been scavenging / acquiring the stuff I need for the squirrel baffle parabolic mic / transmitter. Just need to buy the components for the transmitter and solder it all up. But again will have to wait until I can afford it.

Edited by NorthWind
additions

34 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I have had no issues with moisture so far.  

Out of upvotes, but thank you!  It's pretty wet here in Oregon.

Edited by NorthWind
typo

15 minutes ago, NorthWind said:

Out of upvotes, but thank you!  It's pretty wet here in Oregon.

Same here. We had 50 some inches of rain last year.  

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic