High End Research Gear And Equipment

NathanFooter

On 7/16/2021 at 6:27 AM, NorthWind said:

You know Tobe? @Madison5716 and I have gone bigfooting with him before. We had a blast!

Small world.

Yes...if he is the same Tobe that has the Strange Brau Radio podcast, and lives in Port Orchard. 

Tobe has a new camera he showed at the SUFON Skywatch campout we hosted July 9-11 north of Rainier. Sionix. Turns night into day pretty well, and in color. Susan and I plan to host one more this year, but in a place easier for people to reach. The last one required a 12-mile off road excursion out of Greenwater, WA. Don't pick on us too much. We've been in Social Security territory for a while now. :)

S1_A2.jpg

Edited by XoXSciFiGuy
  • Upvote 2

On 7/21/2021 at 5:26 AM, XoXSciFiGuy said:

Tobe has a new camera he showed at the SUFON Skywatch campout we hosted July 9-11 north of Rainier. Sionix. Turns night into day pretty well, and in color. Susan and I plan to host one more this year, but in a place easier for people to reach. The last one required a 12-mile off road excursion out of Greenwater, WA. Don't pick on us too much. We've been in Social Security territory for a while now. :)

S1_A2.jpg

Keep an eye out on the Sionyx Sport.  It’s dropped in price a bit, but they still run decent sales on it occasionally.  Usually a hundred bucks off.

It’s a robust piece of equipment.  I wish that it had an autofocus option, but otherwise it checks all of the boxes.  Records to an SD card, records sound, has a remote app,etc 

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot

• 1 month later...

Speaking of autofocus option.....

Early last week, I went for a quick overnight.  Using my thermal, I was able to see mice running hither and yon all night long. Late into the evening, as I was scanning the woods, I picked up something between two trees. It was moving while in place. A second, or two, later I watched a mouse run toward the unidentified object. Then, with a silent and sudden movement, the object leaped upon the mouse. It was an owl.

I focused my attention on the black object that was about human height although I could not see any lower body. The angle was odd as the trees, and the object in between, was at 45 degrees. I assumed the lower body was being hidden by one of the trees. It never dawned on me an owl would be on a branch that low.  I should have magnified the object x 4.6 then manually focused, then magnified x 9.2 and manually focused.  I didn't as I was watching the object for every movement. 

When I watched the video on my 32" computer screen, it was clear from the start the object was an owl. You could make out the details of the head not readily apparent on the thermal's small OMELED screen. Oh well, a little fun that night and a lesson learned. I'll see if I can upload the video--my skills in this regard are sorely lacking.

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Owls are cool. One of my favorite birds, and you don't often enough get to see one. @Madison and I saw one one of the last times we were out. And saw a another some time ago carrying off a mouse for an early dinner.

I had a VHF radio installed in my H3 today. A local shop supplied, installed, and programmed an Icom F5023H (50W power) with all of the BC resource road channels, so I can now monitor and communicate with the logging and mining rigs out in the bush. It's a lot safer when they know where I am, and vice-versa. They are required to call out km markers when they pass them, even numbers up, and odd numbers down.

• Upvote 2

BC -- I'm not quite sure about the specifics of the your setup but the concept of being able to communicate with others is an excellent one. One less thing to have to think about. Kudos.

I highly recommend the Nemo Dagger 2-person tent. 3 lbs of the Taj Mahal on your back. Spacious for one person, sufficient for 2. I got all my gear in with me, and room to spare. Super simple set up - easiest I've EVER set up to camp. I LOVE this thing!

20210905_173736.jpg

Edited by Madison5716
  • Upvote 1

That's a great setup, both tent and chair.  If the forecast calls for a clear night, will you take the fly off?  I always do that as I want to see everything that is going on outside the tent.

Heck no, I DON'T want to see what's going on outside the tent! That's NorthWind's job. 

I left the door open and that was enough. I was up until 2:30pm watching the stars from my doorway, though.

Edited by Madison5716

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2021 at 12:53 PM, wiiawiwb said:

BC -- I'm not quite sure about the specifics of the your setup but the concept of being able to communicate with others is an excellent one. One less thing to have to think about. Kudos.

In BC all logging roads are assigned 1 of 35 frequencies (designated channels)

You need a land mobile radio license to use these frequencies.

Great for calling out kms when driving the roads.

The 4 wheel drive association also has a province wide assigned frequency that you can use if you are a member

I might add that BC witness is a valued friend and member of our local group who frequently goes out alone

Between his radio and zoleo we are not far to respond if he needs it.

Edited by MagniAesir

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic