High End Research Gear And Equipment

NathanFooter

22 minutes ago, SasquatchPA said:

The Pulsar is a Helion XQ30H the resolution is 320 I bought it in 2017 it is now a discontinued model. I like it as it has an integral video recorder where my Flir Scout does not so I have to use an external DVR if I want to get video from it which is kind of a hassle but it is a 640 resolution scanner.

The Telinga is a little big but I have the version that rolls up so that helps a little. I do however like that the larger size gives me more low end frequency response.

I like the Pulsars quite a bit.  I have an XQ38 and have been very happy with it.  The onboard recording and durable build have made it a favorite.  When I add an additional thermal in later this year, I will probably up with another Pulsar.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I like the Pulsars quite a bit.  I have an XQ38 and have been very happy with it.  The onboard recording and durable build have made it a favorite.  When I add an additional thermal in later this year, I will probably up with another Pulsar.

The Pulsar build quality is top notch. I also like the fact that you can get a AA battery tray for it so you can use non proprietary batteries. I worry about my Flir’s serviceability in the long term with the internal lithium batteries.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, SasquatchPA said:

The Pulsar build quality is top notch. I also like the fact that you can get a AA battery tray for it so you can use non proprietary batteries. I worry about my Flir’s serviceability in the long term with the internal lithium batteries.

A member on here shelled out several thousand dollars for a FLIR, only to have FLIR discontinue service on that particular model a year or so after he purchased it Z. His experience with their customer service was a factor in my decision to go with Pulsar.  

4 hours ago, SasquatchPA said:

The Pulsar is a Helion XQ30H the resolution is 320 I bought it in 2017 it is now a discontinued model. I like it as it has an integral video recorder where my Flir Scout does not so I have to use an external DVR if I want to get video from it which is kind of a hassle but it is a 640 resolution scanner.

The Telinga is a little big but I have the version that rolls up so that helps a little. I do however like that the larger size gives me more low end frequency response.

I'm not familiar with that Pulsar model. There used to be the XQ30F which had a 384x288 thermal sensor. I have the XQ28F as I wanted to have as wide a FOV as possible at that price range.  Both the 30F and 28F have been discontinued.

You got a really nice setup all the way around.

59 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

I'm not familiar with that Pulsar model. There used to be the XQ30F which had a 384x288 thermal sensor. I have the XQ28F as I wanted to have as wide a FOV as possible at that price range.  Both the 30F and 28F have been discontinued.

You got a really nice setup all the way around.

Thanks.

My Pulsar is actually 384x288 resolution and it was designed as a rifle mounted device. I got that version in case I wanted I could use it that way. It is a 2.5-10x22. The wifi feature is very useful as you can use your phone to view the thermal image.

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • 2 months later...

Just bought the Nemo Tensor regular sleeping pad.

3 inches thick

15 ounces

72 x 20 inches

4.2 R value.

Waffle face instead of channels, like my Big Agnes pad and I LOVE it. Such an improvement. About $200 and I'm thinking a better night's sleep is worth every penny.

Of course, now I don't know if I'll be able to hike and camp thus summer, but it'll be light in the pack when I do! It'll do great on a camp cot while car camping, too :)

20220530_102617.jpg

Edited by Madison5716
  • Upvote 4

Congrats on the new pad.  Lots of glowing reviews about it.  It will serve you well both when backpacking or car camping. I'm hoping that is soon.

I've always opted to carry a few ounces extra in weight if it meant a better night's sleep.

6 hours ago, DrPSH said:

how is the knee feeling, and is today go back to work day or are you still home recovering from COVID?

Hi @DrPSH, Thanks for asking! I'm back at work today. I actually felt pretty much normal by Sunday, but had the mandatory 5-day quarantine. My cook, who I sent home the same day as myself, is still out and not feeling well. Luck of the draw, I guess! I have an appointment on Monday for my knee and one later in the week for my wrist. Falling apart a piece at a time is not particularly fun, LOL!

Thank goodness you had a short course! Isn't it amazing that being stuck at home in a mandatory quarantine just doesn't feel as amazing as being on PTO because you chose to be? Hopefully you caught up on reading that new book you got, and especially hope that the knee and wrist appointments go well next week!

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting new trail cam that is released for sale today. It pans and tilts. You can even view activity live. There is a solar panel too that you can add.

None of the places I go have access to cell service so it is a non-starter for me. I'd give it a hard look if any of my research areas did have 4G service.

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • 5 months later...