High End Research Gear And Equipment

NathanFooter

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Looxcie-LX2-0001-00-Digital-Camcorder/6017953/product.html

Check this out, this looks like FUN. And, it uploads to Youtube through a smartphone or tablet instantly. Hmmmm...

I read the single online review. Not very positive...

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Looxcie-LX2-0001-00-Digital-Camcorder/6017953/product.html#product-reviews

Edited by Kite-Squatch

• 2 months later...
BFF Patron

For those looking for a good entry level handheld thermal imager which with attachments and dvd recorder such as an aiptek hd cam can be fitted up with video out (can't use view finder output while doing this simultaneously to cam out though).

You may not do better than the price on this almost new out of the box unit on ebay now except possibly with some of the bottom level FLIRs

I do not know this seller but I have experience with the unit.  It does what it says it will do but is monochrome white hot only.

Night Vision Systems was formerly Night Vision Equipment Corp.   

24 hrs. left in the auction and zero bids at this hour.  The seller has only 9 reviews or feedbacks so you are on your own with communications and such. 

Make sure you review seller history with similar items sold or offered such as this.  Moneyback returns 14 days states that only 75% required to be refunded and says nothing about insurance or the like.  An earlier item sold for $2000 and there was mention about an auction ending early due to lost or broken merchandise?!  Weird.  

Edited by bipedalist

BFF Patron

There is a handheld thermal with two days left on ebay.  It is an NVS MX-1 at $1750.   The post above had a link to the auction but I guess it dissappeared.

You are on your own as mentioned above with this......  I have no knowledge of the seller.   Just that the product, if new, will do what it says it will do if in near new condition. 

Edited by AaronD
to remove comment on mod action

BFF Patron

It seems the auction is still in process for the  NVS MX-1 Mini Ir handheld thermal......two bidders and up to plus $1000......  anything under $1700 is a steal.   

BFF Patron

One day and a few hours on the MX-1    Currently at a grand and 60. 

BFF Patron

Looks like it sold for $1335 quite the steal.  

BFF Patron

Anybody have any experiences with the new FLIR scout series that records to sd cards?  How is the field of view......   practical useage and ease of use of any software.  At one point I heard it required some form of firmware or software upgrade to do what it was designed to do? 

• 2 months later...

This action camera is kind of like a GoPro and it appears to be thin and low profile.   It could be mounted on the chest or even on the back of a daypack to film your back trail as you walk around.    I do not know if it can be bus powered via USB cable but the specs are good and with the camera comes a WiFi  wrist watch style instant record remote and it is only 150$  from the website but you may get it cheaper from some other source.   This looks to be a great camera.   

http://veho-world.com/main/shop_detail.aspx?article=154

EDIT- to add. >  The website price may not be in American dollars,  I found the camera on Amazon for 128 $ and free shipping, the link is below.  

http://www.amazon.com/Veho-VCC-005-MUVI-HD10-Handsfree-Camcorder-Control/dp/B004AP9FSE/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Edited by NathanFooter

Nathan,

Are you still considering buying the TM-X thermal imager from Night Optics?

I keep looking for reviews, but can't find any.

On paper it looks attractive, but I always wait until reviews come in.

After my experience this summer with a borrowed Flir unit, I concluded that having one of these thermal imagers is the way to go if folks are going to investigate at night (and not to use Gen 2 Night Vision).

Nathan,

Are you still considering buying the TM-X thermal imager from Night Optics?

I keep looking for reviews, but can't find any.

On paper it looks attractive, but I always wait until reviews come in.

After my experience this summer with a borrowed Flir unit, I concluded that having one of these thermal imagers is the way to go if folks are going to investigate at night (and not to use Gen 2 Night Vision).

Yes Explorer , I am going to get that unit for my research and you are correct, I have used several thermal cameras and imagers and can tell you they may be the most important piece of tech a researcher can have.     

The unit is 2,600 $ and I am half way there, I am scraping every penny try and have it this late spring.  If I can get it before mid April I have a very good chance of getting footage.   I can only hope at this point.

Nate, does your area have good craigslist adds? You can get extra $ by doing odd jobs or by posting your own ad. Just a thought, because your gonna be #2 in line (so far) with the thermals. I would hope you would get a few of the money shot therms before you start going out and measuring where they are at, and how big it is, etc, you know what I mean, and not worried about what people (squatchers) think.Because squatchers are all kooks anyway...etc.. :wild:

• gigantor pinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic