High End Research Gear And Equipment

NathanFooter

Admin

Awesome gig.

To spread a bit more info about the TM-X thermal camera I am shooting for, here is a video { the video poster has 2 other vids of the camera in action } of the TM-X at 240 { digital output is higher at 320 resolution }.    

The videos seem to show good resolution and frame rate { actually the frame rate matches even high end units } for the price.  

• Upvote 1

Admin

Looks like a nice piece of equipment NF.

Admin

Wonder if that thermal was during the day and what was the ambient temperature...  a nice cool day with a high differential in surface temps looks good. But take it out in the woods at night... 

Below is video from my trail cam at night with the black LEDs, not that bad for a cheap camera... the subject goes from 25 to 50 feet away. Resolution is 640x480

racoon.wmv

Edited by gigantor

If you have an iPhone I would go with this:

http://www.amazon.com/Rode-Recording-Microphone-iPhone-iPad/dp/B00B41JIY8

If not than I would use this for audio:

http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-Handy-Portable-Digital-Recorder/dp/B001QWBM62/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1393553362&sr=1-1&keywords=Audio+recorder

The H4N can record multiple tracks so a remote mic can also be plugged in and recorded. This recorder works great. Been using it for awhile now. It takes two AA's and either an SD or micro SD in an SD adapter. The 120 degree setting is a lot better than the 90, but if you wanted to record your own voice or others in your group nearby, say around the campfire and audio from a mic in the tree line, they can be separated out in post. It is light weight, silent in operation, quick and easy to start and stop. With just a single push of a button, individual files can be generated. There is also a meter for manual levels if you don't want to trust the very good auto level feature. It comes with cords, a handle and dead cat wind screen. Take the handle off and it can screw on to a tripod, boom stick or in a hot shoe. If you have a DSLR that shoots video, a provided cord plugs directly into the camera, recording on its own or acting as an aux mic.

Edited by damndirtyape

• 2 weeks later...
Admin

I got a 100 black led illuminator for the trail cam and what a difference!

272.mp4

266.mp4

243.mp4

251.mp4

Edited by gigantor

BFF Patron

Hahhah, female fox.  Looked like a gray fox.  

Admin

How do you know it's a female Bip?  not saying it's not, just wanna learn how to tell.

The foxes I've seen around here in daylight  are red, I think the camera records black/white at night. The good news is the animals cannot see the black LEDs, it works great. Deer seem to know it's there (266.mp4), maybe smell it, but they can't see it.

Edited by gigantor

BFF Patron

Well it looked like she squatted and peed directly on a sniffed spot at the bottom of the frame, not surefire but it could be a lead in (meaning sometimes a male will squat and a female will raise her leg, males foxes spray though and will fire at will, they have a pungent odor almost like a heavy musky skunk probably frequently confused with BF too.  Most places on the east coast have red and gray fox.  The telltale sign is it's a red fox because there is no dark tip to tale or dark stripe.  I thought I had seen a dark tip earlier this morning but obviously I forgot to rub the sleep out of my eyes, lol. 

Edited by bipedalist

This is a special post, I just ordered my TM-X thermal camera  !!!

I have been saving for over a year and a half and so this will be a huge advantage to my field studies in Area D the spring.  After I receive and figure out all the options and basic system operations I will record some video and stills with specific distance information and give my thoughts on it.  

I am beyond excited at this point !!

Admin

Congratulations Nate!

I hope you have a lot of fun and get the "money shot", as they say.

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

That's monkey shot to you Gig!  (good luck Nathan give us a run down on some deer with that thing).  

Good to hear that you got the TM-X thermal camera, Nathan!

Look forward to see your performance review of the new instrument and see thermal captures (of any rare and elusive wildlife).

Thanks guys, I am just going nuts waiting for it to ship out, there is a week or 2 wait for the distributor fill the order.  

• gigantor pinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic