NathanFooter

High End Research Gear And Equipment

BlackRockBigfoot

Thanks for the information.  I went with the Flir Scout TK, mainly for the ability to record video without having to rely on an external recorder.

I get it in tomorrow, so I hope to get it into the field this weekend.  

For those of you who are looking for a Flir TK, pay attention to eBay.  Authorized Flir dealers will run specials on eBay that they do not offer on their own websites.  I was able to get one if these units for under $500 shipped....no tax.

• Upvote 1

wiiawiwb

Congratulations on the Scout. You're going to have a great time with it and it will open up your approach to doing night-time ops.  Now, you'll be able to see what's going on out there.

Let's us know what you think and post up a video or two.

• Upvote 1

wiiawiwb

Good point about how to buy it. When I was looking, Pulsar required dealers to advertise at a required price.  If you called them, they could offer a lower price, they just couldn't advertise it. 

I got a heck of a deal and would suggest to those looking for a thermal to actually call a dealer to see what they'll offer it for. The small dealers who have an internet-based thermal business are the ones I found who were willing to negotiate a price. 

• Upvote 1

BlackRockBigfoot

Garmin 64ST

Anyone looking to add a solid GPS unit to their gear?

I recently upgraded to a 64ST and and have been very impressed with it so far.  Sportsman's Warehouse has this model on sale for $189.99. 

This unit felt much more durable than their new 66i.  The 64ST has been invaluable, as we like to go into new areas and get off the beaten path.

MagniAesir

Not really high end gear, but something that I am going to try.

I have my ham radio license and I have a very high end kenwood handheld radio (TH-D74A) that has built in APRS.

APRS is a system that uses a gps and a packet of data sent over a ham radio frequency that lets others track your position.

I don't want to risk losing my expensive kenwood in a vehicle break in, so here is what I am going to try.

I have a cheap baofeng handheld radio, with a magnetic vehicle mount antennae

I just purchased a cable to connect it to an old android phone with a built in gps.

I have downloaded APRSdroid onto the radio, and this will control when the radio send out the packet information.

The phone is old and has no sim card in it, it is just used for the app and gps.

Anyone can go onto the website aprs.fi and look up my position on a map as long as they know my call sign.

I am really interested in seeing how this works

• Upvote 1