The Nakani

B-town,

The Nakani are not the nicest bunch of people. There are some interesting storys of headless men in the Nahanni area.

Check out the Mcloud brothers and the headless valley. Their nefew still lives in the community I live in.

I have a new co-worker so of course I asked him if he had any encounters. At first he was reluctent to talk but I charmed it

out of him. He didn't have any storys of his own but he had a story about a strange encounter a woman and her daughter

had sometime in the 80s.

They had landed at a lake north of town (floatplane) they were traveling to meet up with others at a camp several miles away

There was some oil and gas activity in that area and they were walking down the road towards the pipeline

where the camp was. They said they noticed a woman following them. She was a normal looking woman (not hairy) but she

wearing ripped up raggy clothes. They said she kept looking into the bush like there was someone else.

They were quite scared and were not sure what to do. An Amico (I think I spelled that right) employee in a truck came along,

the woman ran into the bush and they flagged him down and caught a ride.

Ill get some more details when I see her son

That's an interesting story Nakani, as are all of your accounts.

I wonder if this is related to the story I read a while back about the lady that got lost hiking from a remote cabin. I don't remember all the details, or where I read it, but I think she was found a long ways from her cabin, in terrible shape, and no explanation how she survived that long. I think she mentioned feeling she was stalked by a bear, but not a lot of details in the account.

Are you saying maybee it wasn't a bear? Was this in northern Canada?

I never got to finish last night my wife phoned.

This story about the woman following the mother and daughter kinda messes with me. What was she doing? Was she helping set up a trap for the mother and daughter. If she had been stolen as well, it must have been hard to participate in a plan to steal two more people. I think about the missing women and children across the north, I wonder if they are still out there somewhere deep in the bush, kept by the Nakani. I can't imagine what it would be like to be taken like that.

What I got out of reading the account was maybe it wasn't a bear, but her logical explanation of what it could have been. It never got close enough for her to tell for sure. I think it was in Canada, but not sure if it was far north or not.

yes, the whole highway of tears thing. It makes you wonder what's going on, & it's been going on a long time. It's possible that the story I'm thinking about was from listening to the interview on Coast to Coast radio about the 411 books. I'm still not sure, it seems like it was longer ago and I read it somewhere.

I was thinking about that woman today my co-worker was talking about. She had to have been born a Nakani or taken as a small child. Someone who has been kidnaped wouldn't run into the bush when a truck comes around the corner. The clothes kinda threw me off, I imagined that was the last thing she was wearing but its more likely she found them somewhere. People around here don't throw old clothes in the garbage or take them to the dump, they take them out into the bush and leave them there. Not for somebody to take or anything, its a respectful way to dispose of clothes.

I think maybee the woman was going to try and stop them and some how grab their gun. Then the others could move in. Its hard to say though you can't assume her intentions were bad. I need some more info.

I asked my co-worker today which daughter it was. She works at the band office, I'm gonna be bringing this up instead of idle chit chat about the weather next time I need something faxed! Aparently she was quite young but it can't hurt to ask.

I was thinking the other day about the other storys my wife told me when I asked her about the missing people. She told me about an earthquake they had in the spring. She said the ground was like walking on water and the trees were shaking pretty hard. It was nothing too major but an earthquake none the less.

Its said that the Nakani live in caves during the winter. The quake was in March and around here thats still pretty wintery.

So I was wondering if mabee they had an incedent and some of them were killed. That could have made them decide to kidnap his familly.

just a thought I had

Interesting. There were a couple of fairly large earthquakes in fall/winter of 1985, triggering large avalanches and apparently doing quite a bit of damage. I wouldn't be surprising if it caused cave-ins, too -- assuming that there were caves to collapse. http://www.earthquakescanada.nrcan.gc.ca/historic-historique/events/19851223-eng.php

Do you know anything about the Nakani/Nuk-luk appearance? Approximate height/weight, any noticeable brow ridges, do they have chins, etc? I'm wondering if the Nakani is some sort of uncontacted tribe like we hear about in New Guinea or the Amazon, or if they might be some sort of relict population from the last ice age.

Thanks Bigtex.

Leisureclass,

I couldn't get the second two links to work (I think its this camp internet) but the first one Scales posted seems consistant with what I've heard so far.

Scales,

Thanks for the links! I've been wanting to post that.

Cotter,

Great link! I read somewhere that the Nakani came frome the north. So mabee they are the same. The descriptions seemed pretty similar. I found the part about the circle of large stones really interesting.

There is a ridge west of my cabin with a circle of nine large stones. My friend was fighting a large fire on the ridge. He was driving a cat making a fire break. He said he saw them when they were on top of the ridge getting fueled up and he was looking around. He said they were bigger than a person could lift and looked like they had been there a long time. I asked him if its still there, he said they didn't disturb it.

Now I really want to check out that ridge. I had a chance last winter to drive along the bottem of the ridge every day for about two weeks (ice road). Since then I made a plan to spend a few days walking around up there. What sparked my intrest was the beauty of the area and all that jazz but also, I counted atleast 30 caves of different sizes all along the cliffs and rocks at the top. I was telling my friend about the caves when he told me about the stone circle, we figured it was his ancesters but now I'm not sure.

I'm gettin the bug eye, I better go to sleep

Thanks Bigtex.

Leisureclass,

I couldn't get the second two links to work (I think its this camp internet) but the first one Scales posted seems consistant with what I've heard so far.

Interesting

Thanks Bigtex.

Leisureclass,

Scales,

Thanks for the links! I've been wanting to post that.

Cotter,

Great link! I read somewhere that the Nakani came frome the north. So mabee they are the same. The descriptions seemed pretty similar. I found the part about the circle of large stones really interesting.

There is a ridge west of my cabin with a circle of nine large stones. My friend was fighting a large fire on the ridge. He was driving a cat making a fire break. He said he saw them when they were on top of the ridge getting fueled up and he was looking around. He said they were bigger than a person could lift and looked like they had been there a long time. I asked him if its still there, he said they didn't disturb it.

Now I really want to check out that ridge. I had a chance last winter to drive along the bottem of the ridge every day for about two weeks (ice road). Since then I made a plan to spend a few days walking around up there. What sparked my intrest was the beauty of the area and all that jazz but also, I counted atleast 30 caves of different sizes all along the cliffs and rocks at the top. I was telling my friend about the caves when he told me about the stone circle, we figured it was his ancesters but now I'm not sure.

I'm gettin the bug eye, I better go to sleep

Interesting. I'm assuming you're talking about Scales' links, just to be clear? The thing that puzzles me is it looks like some sort of pre-human hominid, but those were shorter than us. Perhaps witnesses' thought they were larger due to fear or shock?

With regards to the stone circle, are you talking about a Stonehenge like circle, or more like a circle of stone chairs, for lack of a better term?

leisureclass,

No one that I've talked to has seen any extra large Nakani. I did see a web site where it reported the height was between 8 - 15 feet tall but I'm not sure where that info comes from.

I should have described the circle better but I'm cheap for my words typing on this phone. When he told me the story he held his hand about 3 feet high. He said they were covered with moss and had been there a long time. They are just big chunks of rock, nothing monolithic. It sounded like he didn't have too much time to check around though, raging fire n all. Hopefuly this summer I can get up there, the cabin is finally finished, so I should get some free time to mess around.

Guest Cervelo

Now this concept I can get on board with and it looks like this would be a blast....all except the beheading...I'll pass on that.

When is the best time of year to go and are there any trails or is it all bushwhacking or fly in?

I've done alittle goggling and there's an abandoned town called Tungsten that has what looks like some roads or trails nearby.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Now this concept I can get on board with and it looks like this would be a blast....all except the beheading...I'll pass on that.

When is the best time of year to go and are there any trails or is it all bushwhacking or fly in?

I've done alittle goggling and there's an abandoned town called Tungsten that has what looks like some roads or trails nearby.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Looking at the National Parks Canada website, your choices are to charter a floatplane, try to drive in and pray the roads are passable -- they usually aren't -- or raft in through Class V rapids. As interesting as the place sounds, I think I'll pass. http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/nt/nahanni/visit/visit1.aspx#over