"squatchholm" Syndrome

Guest Primate

Guest Primate

One of the phenomenon I've noticed associated with Bigfoot is that the people who have had contact with them tend to become indifferent to proving they exist to other people .This also tends to happen by degrees with those who are experiencing the most being the most likely to side with the Forest Peoples desire not to be found or bothered . Skeptics may dissmiss this as lying or hoaxing but , I find it to be generally true and to take many forms which add to the general opacity of the field . Everything from not releasing certain photos or video , to not revealing hot spots , to refusing to collect evidence could be a case of what I like to call Squatchholm Syndrome . I consider myself a mild case in that I don't carry a camera because I tend to experience more activity when I don't ..

Thoughts? Examples?

Guest Darrell

I am giving you my opinion as a Skeptic/Skoftic or whatever. I also have noticed this attitude amongst what I call the "true believer" group of proponents. I can not explain it any other way but to say that maybe the answer is that those persons who are saying that maybe have'nt had an actual sighting or have mis represented what they saw. Its all very easy and convienient to explain everything away by using this position. It goes back to the I know its real and I dont need to prove it to anyone with any proof. And thats fine, just dont be upset that I or anyone else takes it as heresay. All that being said, those that do this seem to have no problem posting on the internet and being interviewed or writing books about what happened to them. Just doesnt seem genuine to me. But of course this is just my opinion and nothing else.

BS. It's simple negative reinforcement in most cases. You experience something extraordinary, share it, and get shot down by folks who are certain that you're somehow mistaken. After a while you keep it to yourself for the most part and only share with those who are sincerely interested.

Debating skeptics, IMO, is nothing more than a waste of time. At some point you simply decide that they're no longer deserving of your time and effort.

• Upvote 3

Guest Darrell

^Must have hit a nerve? So counter my position without the same old same old your a skeptic and not worth my time argument.

BFF Patron

Yah, I liken it to a world record holder experience rather than being held hostage to the experience, get it under your belt, savor it share it with who you care to..... but you don't have a lot of repeat desire to do the same record again..... you move on. That said, maybe people who experience the stuff can't be bothered with being steeped in it by those who have no clue what they experienced telling them what they experienced. Of course, so many witnesses don't experience exactly the same thing that you do (did) so all witness is testimony so to speak. The first true Stockholm syndrome candidate will be the person who goes for the BF kill then realizes how difficult it is to extricate themselves from the situation.

I don't mind discussion with skeptics, I have no desire to argue with scoftics. I don't think they are here to talk about the Bigfoot phenomenon.

• Upvote 1

Guest Primate

I realize I'm being a little "cute" and general with the term .I thought it may stimulate some interesting discussion . And I did have a fear of this thread being undone by skeptics because the withholding attitude seems especially inflammatory to some of them .

Perhaps it is just a case of negative reinforcement and not wanting to rehash a peak experience that other people are resistant to . But It also seems that their simularity to us and the awe of sharing the planet with them can inspire a kind of loyalty sometimes ..

It is annoying to be always doubted but it's also that I don't want to give out too much information, because lots of folks here (and those who read here but don't post), are looking for directions so they can hunt and kill one. Not gonna help them out with that, they'll have to manage it on their own. I have invested time, money and a lot of energy in trying to get information on these guys and I don't want my work compromised.... I want that video, picture, audio...

Edited by madison5716

BS. It's simple negative reinforcement in most cases. You experience something extraordinary, share it, and get shot down by folks who are certain that you're somehow mistaken. After a while you keep it to yourself for the most part and only share with those who are sincerely interested.

Debating skeptics, IMO, is nothing more than a waste of time. At some point you simply decide that they're no longer deserving of your time and effort.

Sorry but I see this as a cop out. While I certainly feel sympathetic to people whom are ridiculed for nothing more than experiencing something that they may have not asked to experience? When the going gets tough the tough get going.

One of the phenomenon I've noticed associated with Bigfoot is that the people who have had contact with them tend to become indifferent to proving they exist to other people .This also tends to happen by degrees with those who are experiencing the most being the most likely to side with the Forest Peoples desire not to be found or bothered . Skeptics may dissmiss this as lying or hoaxing but , I find it to be generally true and to take many forms which add to the general opacity of the field . Everything from not releasing certain photos or video , to not revealing hot spots , to refusing to collect evidence could be a case of what I like to call Squatchholm Syndrome . I consider myself a mild case in that I don't carry a camera because I tend to experience more activity when I don't ..

Thoughts? Examples?

I see it all the time, and as a mild proponent (I've seen compelling tracks, but no Squatch) it's the most frustrating thing for me to accept. The anti kill mindset which is the vast majority is very hard for me to accept as well and dove tails directly into this discussion.

Maybe I have a alpha personality, but if I saw a no ******** Squatch.........and somebody called me "mistaken" or a "kook" or a "impressionable person". I would want to take concrete evidence and shove it straight down their gullet. But that's me.

As it is, my own personal experience was compelling enough for me to go out into the woods with a rifle to take a honest stab at it. So for the person that has actually seen one and tells me that they don't need to prove it to anyone..........or the skeptics have drummed them under ground? Guffaw.

The more I hang out in the Bigfoot community the more I come to realize just how self defeating we are. We make it easy for the skeptics, and I really don't have an answer for it. And many of these people I consider to be my friends.

It is annoying to be always doubted but it's also that I don't want to give out too much information, because lots of folks here (and those who read here but don't post), are looking for directions so they can hunt and kill one. Not gonna help them out with that, they'll have to manage it on their own. I have invested time, money and a lot of energy in trying to get information on these guys and I don't want my work compromised.... I want that video, picture, audio...

If you think your going to get that "aha" footage, or picture or audio that is going to convince skeptics? I think you have a rude awakening headed your way........sorry.

If your doing it for your own satisfaction? So be it.

• Upvote 1

I doubt many of us joined this forum to engage with skeptics. And none of us have an obligation to meet any skeptic's demands. I came here to share what I've experienced with other witnesses and to learn from others who have had encounters.

It's a complete bore to constantly be harrangued by people who want to drag you into the "Do they or don't they exist?" debate. It impedes advanced discussion. Skeptics have nothing of value to offer me, behave as if they are entitled to demand information that they will then discount out of hand, and too often are prone to derision.

Case in point: Norseman, you see my attitude as a cop out. This pre-supposes that I have an obligation to answer any inane question any skeptic may ask, and there's a new crop of them asking the same questions every week. Bull!

I had a classmate at the Academy who would come to me the night before his math final every semester. He had a habit of sleeping through math and I had a habit of trying to bring him up to speed on the entire semester instead of preparing for my own final (no value to me because he was in the slow program and I was in the accelerated one). In our third year, just before taps he caught me in the hallway and asked how to solve a problem in his book. So I took a look at it and said: "Ok, first you take the integral..." He then interrupted me and asked "How do I take the intergral?" Which was from his previous semester. I knew he'd have me up all night tutoring him and I'd finally had enough. I closed his book, handed it back to him, said "Dan, I can't help you", walked away, got a good, untroubled night's sleep, and was fresh for my own final. Dan managed to pass and became more responsible for his own education instead of using me asa crutch.

Edited by JDL
  • Upvote 2

What he said^^^^

When you post blobsquatches you are taken to task for making Bigfootery look bad. When you do get a photo that is above a Blobsquatch you suddenly become a hoaxer. That along with the demanding tone of the questioning takes a good bit of the fun out of sharing what you come up with.

Edited by indiefoot
  • Upvote 1

I doubt many of us joined this forum to engage with skeptics. And none of us have an obligation to meet any skeptic's demands. I came here to share what I've experienced with other witnesses and to learn from others who have had encounters.

It's a complete bore to constantly be harrangued by people who want to drag you into the "Do they or don't they exist?" debate. It impedes advanced discussion. Skeptics have nothing of value to offer me, behave as if they are entitled to demand information that they will then discount out of hand, and too often are prone to derision.

So your happy to have a "advanced discussion" about a myth. And when the scientific community rears it's ugly head? You would rather they just go away?

I don't belong to a pixie forum or a gnome forum. So it's important to me that this is a real species we are discussing..........and in order for this to be a real species the skeptics must be quieted. And the only way they will be quieted is with proof and scientific classification.

I also come here to exchange knowledge and learn from those ahead of me on the road. I don't see a rude awakening in my future, norseman, because I accept that folks are entitled to their own opinions. I don't do what I do because skeptics demand proof or science demands a body. Trying to come up with compelling, clear evidence is my passion, but slightly less so than proving to myself beyond the shadow of a doubt that they exist.

I do what I do because 1) I want to, and 2) I think it's the right thing to do. If they are proven as a species, I want to contribute in some way. You and I have chosen different ways to contribute, according to our skills and inclinations, and I think both will be needed, and more. Not all of us are hunters or comfortable heading out to the deep woods. I have to contribute what I am ABLE to do. Go with your strengths and I go with mine. Maybe some day it will be enough.

Edited by madison5716