"squatchholm" Syndrome

Guest Primate

Guest thermalman

Norse? Knowing that the majority of the sightings last for only seconds or minutes at most, and there is a large degree of shock and awe attached to the moment, how does one prove what they are saying is true, as you put it?

Edited by thermalman

A large chunk of lead and steel traveling at super sonic speed.....

short of that, volunter some time to help make that a success.

I've been face-to-face with an eight and a half foot tall male wondering whether or not it was going to take my head off first, or my friend's, or my brother's. But telling you that's not good enough.

Now, I wasn't a scientist then, but I am now. A bonafide state-licensed, professional chemical engineer. I'm also a West Point Graduate, served on the faculty there, commanded troops, and served on high level staffs. I could go on. But I'll tell you. None of that's good enough.

As an engineer you must admit that it is reasonable for someone to doubt your story in the absence of physical evidence and collaborative testimony. So, why, as a scientist, do you choose to regard the reasonable as irksome?

Why should I bother?

Because that's what scientists do. If a scientist gives up on obtaining proof, why should anyone else care at all about the topic?

Edited by Pteronarcyd

Reasonable is fine. As a matter of fact I was recently and politely approached by a new forum member who wanted to learn more about bigfoot and specifically approached me because he had read some of my encounter posts. I responded, provided him with a lengthy message including the facts and some analysis.

Unfortunately he immediately came back with the announcement that he wasn't investigating bigfoot, but people who "believe" in bigfoot. He wanted to go into an in-depth analysis of why I believed in bigfoot and the probable causes of my mis-perceived experiences. He then baited me, asking if I was "game" and "up to the challenge". He felt that he was entitled to demand any information and time from me that he wanted.

There's a difference between an objective scientist who may be skeptical (adjective) and anyone who identifies themselves principally as a skeptic (noun) but is sans objectivity. And there's a difference in how I respond to them.

As a scientist I'd love to spend more time on bigfoot, perhaps with other scientists. I believe I could contribute in a unique way. But right now I'm working hard on bringing a new technology I invented and patented to market. Personally, I think proof will come before I get the chance to become more involved.

BFF Patron

It is unfortunate that you had such an experience by way of PM JDL. It started out innocent enough. That kind of damage is hard to repair. It is exactly that kind of two-timing crap that has capped my willingness to share specifics and details over the years. Unless you squatch with somebody after talking to them in the coffee shop or at a conference..... you don't know who the hail you are dealing with here unless you are on a first name basis.

I should think that violations and misrepresentations such as that by way of PM are a reportable offense if they are baiting and switching. And, if it is not now, a simple request to the SC to have a rule change on the way PM's are used could be proffered, not that anything actionable could ever come down about it.

Reasonable is fine. As a matter of fact I was recently and politely approached by a new forum member who wanted to learn more about bigfoot and specifically approached me because he had read some of my encounter posts. I responded, provided him with a lengthy message including the facts and some analysis.

Unfortunately he immediately came back with the announcement that he wasn't investigating bigfoot, but people who "believe" in bigfoot. He wanted to go into an in-depth analysis of why I believed in bigfoot and the probable causes of my mis-perceived experiences. He then baited me, asking if I was "game" and "up to the challenge". He felt that he was entitled to demand any information and time from me that he wanted.

There's a difference between an objective scientist who may be skeptical (adjective) and anyone who identifies themselves principally as a skeptic (noun) but is sans objectivity. And there's a difference in how I respond to them.

As a scientist I'd love to spend more time on bigfoot, perhaps with other scientists. I believe I could contribute in a unique way. But right now I'm working hard on bringing a new technology I invented and patented to market. Personally, I think proof will come before I get the chance to become more involved.

I wish I shared your optimism.

And I'm sorry your being solicited like this, it really is inexcusable.

Not believing the ample number of reports and the physical evidence, videos, and recordings is just willful disbelief stemming from a rejection of the cognitive dissonance. They just cannot handle the truth. Cement for brains.

Guest Primate

I'm very sorry you were treated so disrespectfully JDL . And , I'd like to thank you for your participation in this thread . You were one of the people I was hoping would chime in...

I am venting. So you might want to skip this post if you are a senstive skeptic.

It's really irritating to me, personally, that so many people have seen one or more, plus a bunch more who heard something realllly LOUD, or smelt a smell you can hardly describe so vile is it, or been hit with missiles, yet the skeptics don't believe it. What, am I a liar?? We are all liars? Deluded? Hallucinating? Can't tell a bear from a giant stinking bidpedal primate? Gee, thanks so much. Because, as they know, we are all morons and only "skeptics" have rational minds capable of evaluating evidence or discerning that which they or we have seen. They are special and we are like you know barely literate. Thank goodness they are here to prevent us from believing such experiences as we and others had and which have been repeated on a large scale. What hubris. Words cannot express my big giant disdain for those folks and that attitude. Ptooii! I spit on the lot of them. No offense.

Add to that, somebody posts a picture of a tree or a shadow or a barn and some jackasses ask really insulting questions. Is that supposed to be a bigfoot? Do you really think there is a bigfoot in that picture? Boy, are you stupid! Har har har. Hee haw. Draw me a red ring around it willya, cuz I don't see it. Yuck yuck yuck. Oh, and then they demand evidence from you, accusing you of holding out, lying, hoaxing, whatever crap they can think of.

I have literally posted a decently clear picture in a different online place of one actually hanging off a tree branch--off google earth street view, where they could go look at it--and do they say, "OH wow!" No--more like, " Hmm, well, it ...I don't know...". then radio silence. They can't argue so they say nothing. WHY on earth would we post pictures?

And these are most likely people who never saw one. Just betchya. So, yeah, you lose interest in discussing it, posting pictures or videos, Or even talking about it. Offering up proof is like putting a "kick me" sign on your back, more or less. So I say to them,... well, you can imagine.

I'm glad this site is so fair and blanaced. We all know that if the tables were turned and a skeptic wrote this posts equivalent he would have already been banned for life, yet this post actually stays up...carry on

Cement for brains.

Some would say the same thing about people who believe in an 8ft 600 lb primate, with a breeding population, spread throughout the entire US, eating out of dumpsters, smoking cigs, riding trains, knocking on trees all day, sneaking up on zagnut bars, and on and on and on...

Guest Ishcabibble

JDL, sideways post, but I felt compelled to say sorry about your PM experience. I classify myself as a skeptic, but I am an honest skeptic. I just want to know for sure one way or the other, and I haven't honestly seen good evidence one way or the other yet. But it really ticks me off when someone shortcircuits the scientific method because they have already made up their mind with no objectivity. Anyway, sorry about your experience...we'll keep looking.

Reasonable is fine.

This is a key. One interested in the scientific question of bigfoot's existence needs to ignore those who approach the topic on faith alone, whether it is the believers who have never had an encounter or the believers who are adamant that such a critter cannot exist. There is no shortage of scoundrels and loons on both ends of the spectrum.

Guest OntarioSquatch

You experience something extraordinary, share it, and get shot down by folks who are certain that you're somehow mistaken.

That is without a doubt a terrible feeling.

Guest thermalman

A large chunk of lead and steel traveling at super sonic speed.....

short of that, volunter some time to help make that a success.

So how does one "plan" on encountering a BF for just that purpose? By sending out invitations to them? ;)

Cement for brains.

LOL, Or in ice hockey lingo....cement head. ;)

Edited by thermalman

Something no ones mentioned is a big chunk of the problem is the prevailing BF propaganda. As long as an experiencer toe's the established party line laid down by people like Kranz, Meldrum, ect....things go along swimmingly. Unfortunately if they were correct in their theories they would have a lot more ''product'' to show for it than they do.

In 60 yrs their paradigm isn't working.

So when witnesses show up to exchange info of course it's shocking that they aren't saying anything remotely like what has been said before and the BF community is resistant. Call it debunking, call it remaining healthily skeptical but also call it what it is.

What it is is a resistance to new ideas.

http://bf-field-journal.blogspot.com/p/bigfoot-residential-visits.html

My example is this guy. With very little time, some effort, and remaining open to where things were going he has amassed not only a good working knowledge of BF but a mess of good pics and physical evidence. I've said it before, this isn't rocket science,

you don't need to head out to the back country, and you don't need to gear up like special forces.

Take it or leave it.

But stop blaming witnesses for your listening to people who don't know squat.