Sign in to follow this  

Pgf....boggles The Mind

Bill

LWD:

No, haven't located facilities that did process Dynachrome yet. It seems their ultimate failure before the internet age left a lot of the documentation of the company to wither away.

Some options might be photography magazines from the 60's, where it might have been advertised, but I haven't had the time to pursue that angle yet. Or a Seattle Yellow Pages from 1967, might have listings for film processing labs, and what types of film they process.

It's something I'm curious about, but there are a lot of other film-related things I'm also researching, so this idea is competing with the other research goals for my time.

Bill

roguefooter

@ roguefooter

Do you have a source for what I bolded. I've never seen that stated anywhere before. All of the quotes I've seen from Deatley were that he did not recall where the film was processed.

He claims he didn't remember developing the film, but specifically mentions Technicolor of Seattle in his 'would have done' scenario. (Greg Long's book)

Edited by roguefooter

@ roguefooter

Are you suggesting that Frank Ishihara would've forgotten developing the bigfoot film? I'm sure anyone developing that under special circumstances on a Saturday would be able to recall opening up and firing up machines for a special order bigfoot film. He certainly remembered that he had done a special order only once on a Saturday, and what it was for.

Edited by LWD

roguefooter

How exactly could you be sure that somebody else would be able to recall something?

People forget things and Frank Ishihara is no different than anyone else. Even he wasn't completely sure if he did or not- that's why he thought about checking the records. There's also the possibility of anyone else working there that knew enough to run the machine. Things have a way of getting done when a fat wallet is the incentive.

A 'Bigfoot film' at the time would have been nothing special since most people had never heard of a Bigfoot or even knew what one was supposed to look like. So really why would it be so memorable if you didn't know what you were looking at was anything special?

Edited by roguefooter

@ roguefooter

Apparently he did remember that he only once did a special order on a Saturday. For a government film involving explosives. He also said this:

Frank Ishihara was asked if he remembers processing a Bigfoot film on a Saturday, Ishihara replied: "No. If I did I should have remembered it.

Stating that he should have remembered it if he had done it. Anyhow, it's a pointless argument as it will not solve who actually did develop the film, and when it was done. We know that Frank Ishihara said he did not do any special orders on Saturday except for the government film involving explosives. We know he also stated he should have remembered if he did develop it.

Edited by LWD

PBeaton

roguefooter, Not to mention, the subject in the film is relatively quite small relative to the overall scenery, walkin' upright, at first glance, one might not take a second look...? Pat... Bill, Thanks !

Edited by PBeaton

WSA

Bill...late in reading this thread, and I apologize for this comment on the whole film processing timeline. I understand you to say it will likely always be an unresolved mystery, but one of your comments about it brought something to mind. You stated that possibly a pilot flew the film for processing...a pilot who didn't want to admit he was flying.

Over 25 years ago I had the privilege of defending before an FAA administrative board a young man who was accused of operating an "air taxi for hire" without a license. His crime? He agreed to fly an engine part from point A to point B. I don't believe he even received any compensation, only did it as a favor. Well, long story short, they busted him and no argument to the contrary had any traction. If the FAA is able to show that you are carrying freight for another, you are gonna be toasted if you don't have the license.

I know it is neither-here-nor-there, as we'll never know, but IF a pilot w/out an air taxi license agreed to fly the can for processing, he/she would have no doubt not be eager to have that known. Like my client's, the suspension of that pilot's license would have been almost assured if the truth came out. As you say, reconstructing events when people might have a motivation for keeping the whole truth hidden is a tough job. Best to keep to the known and see what it tells you.

For what it is worth....And thanks for all of your work.

Obviously SOMEONE developed the film. Like it or not, Seattle was an option. No one has stepped forward. Why not? At any rate the "impossible timeline" isn't and never was. It could have been done. Money talks. BS walks. Did DeAtley have money? Does the Pope **** in the woods?

Bill

WSA:

Thanks for the contribution. I think that in the timeline issue, there's clearly somebody who did something "unorthodox" and prefers not to admit doing so, but that secret doesn't prove any hoax occurred. it just happens to be the way the world works, when somebody is insistent that something gets done, and the usual channels don't allow it in the time or way requested. I've seen people bend the rules in all walks of life, and once done, they just don't admit it. No hoax needed. Just some urgent need which the usual channels can't fulfill and a person who's used to getting his way and not concerned about bending rules to get it. Old Al strikes me as that kind of a guy.

Bill

Backdoc

I'm not doubting the development processing time. I can accept that it's a one-hour process for those limited number of facilities with the capability to do the processing. One hour, in real life, assumes they have no other work queued ahead of Al DeAtley and put Al's work at the top of the list. The timeline questions revolve around the time it would take to pick up a Saturday delivery, get to the processing facility, get to the head of the line, and if they are closed, convince someone or pay someone to do the processing off-hours, someone who had the authority and ability to keep the shop open.

The more difficult timeline is the shipment on Friday to arrive in Seattle on Saturday, as was claimed. They had filmed Patty and did several things afterwards that are (mostly) not in dispute:

- filmed the trackway and made comparisons by riding alongside and doing jump tests off a rock

- contacted the store owner in Willow Creek who came back to his then-closed store (closed at 8pm) and, around 8:30pm, told him of the sighting.

- conducted a phone interview with a reporter who transcribed the conversation and printed the story Saturday morning

- broke camp, packed equipage and horses, loaded the trailer.

It was a bit of a slow horse ride in and out of the sighting area. They had only until the mailing facility closed to get the shipment off. They have stated they "mailed" the film, some presume that means US postal, which closed at normal hours, and some believe there was a chartered aircraft, which had to be done at the larger city that was a three hour drive each way. So how did they get to each of the stops in time? Add Gimlin's statement that they left the film site when it got dark and not before, and that *really* pinches the timeline.

In an interview on youtube Bob states they got out of there about EARLY AFTERNOON.  That is because it was Oct and it gets dark sooner and in the mountains he stated it get dark even earlier.   So at least consider they left early afternoon esp with the dark coming-- so that may not pinch the timeline as much for what it is worth.

Backdoc

Sign in to follow this