How To Prevent/survive A Sasquatch Attack

Cotter

^I highly doubt it. I mean, there are certain points on any Hominid animal that will hurt them if you hit them there... nose, eyes, getitals... the question is whether or not you'd be able to land a blow there that is hard enough to deter an angry 400lb-plus Ape before it can grab YOU. Maybe if you were carrying a baseball bat, but I highly highly hiiiiighly doubt it's possible to do with your bare hands.

In fact, my weapon of choice against a charging Bigfoot, excluding a high power gun, which I doubt I'd ever have with me in the woods, would probably be an aluminum basebal bat, and I'd probably swing for the lower legs and feet, and then the face. (Figure if you go for the face first, it will block it and just rip the bat out of your hands)

Of course, I have no intention of harming any wild animal, especially a Bigfoot.This is strictly if my options are fight back or become Bigfoot poop.

Edited by ForestTone

I think it is safe to draw a comparison to the damage/survivability of a human in documented attacks by captive chimps. Now consider that the biggest meanest chimp ever born is a faction as strong as a 7-9 foot tall BF. I would cite the Davis attack in California 2005 as a horrific example of what a couple standard issue male chimps can do to a large male human in very short order. Read the linked article, if you have a strong stomach... http://www.esquire.com/features/chimpanzee-attack-0409

Guest feverdreams

I guess the best guide would be what is known about surviving a gorilla attack.

If I had a gun I'd shoot it.

If I didn't I'd try to make as much noise as possible and make myself look as big as possible, but avoid eye contact.

Running away would be the worst thing (although it'd be what I felt like) as it might trigger an instinct for the thing to chase you.

Do footers just make this stuff up or is there some kind of wheel you spin to randomly generate BF factoids ?

"SASQUATCH FACTOID GENERATOR"

SquatchWheelMagic.jpg

Funny you'd pick a totally tongue-in-cheek response, other than the grizzly part, which if you read reports, you wouldn't doubt.

Oh. Answering your question: if you must believe that, instead of looking at the evidence and judging from that, hey, whatever works.

Edited by DWA

Guest Luckyfoot

I'm pretty sure if I had to, I could take a bigfoot down with karate.........................Ok that was a big lie! Lol. Could someone do that though?

rofl. I'm sure there's somebody out there that will tell you could do it. I've been doing karate long enough to give an opinion (20 years +)

Theoretically ? If you are close enough and it is a flesh and blood animal , it will bleed. We do techniques designed to attack the eyes, throat and if the internet rumors are true , ie the irish curse ., going to the groin. Even in a large animal these would be vulnerable targets.

Realistically ? Not a friggin chance. You would be better off to vibrate as violently as possible and emit tears, urine and feces . Hopefully the bigfoot would take pity on you or be completely disgusted. That would be your only form of defense if you couldn't run like the wind. Or had a large caliber boomstick.

$0.02

• 3 weeks later...

Though I always carry a sidearm in the outdoors, it would probably not be my first choice for defense against an aggressive bf, given any time to make an alternative selection. In the dark, a powerful led tactical light would likely be effective (I'm thinking 800 lumen and up), but in daylight it would be useless as the iris would already be closed down. A green laser would likely be effective day or night if you hit the eyes, best bet there would be one using a lens to spread the beam a bit (they are commercially available for several hundred dollars, but I've achieved the same effect by mounting an old film strip projector lens on the front of my green targeting laser). Several laser diodes mounted parallel would give something of a shotgun effect, and pulsing them would increase the disorientation. Another option that I've not seen mentioned here is a Taser. Civilian models cost $299.00 and give you two shots, each of which delivers a 30 second pulsing shock. The down side of that is the 15 foot range limitation. For firearms, my first choice would be my M1-A with 20 rounds of .308 in the magazine, but it's not something I'd typically lug around constantly absent clear and present threat. In a handgun, .44 mag. or .454 Casull mag. would be the starting point, then up to .480 Ruger or .500 S&W. I wouldn't want to try any semi auto other than something on the order of a .50 Desert Eagle, and those are very pricey as well as having a grip circumference close to a 2x4 and way too big for my small hands. I do NOT recommend firearms for those who are unfamiliar/uncomfortable with them. You don't need to be a highly trained expert but you do need to be competent and have the right mindset. All of this said, I hope never to have to find out.

NDT,

Thanks for posting the chimp attack story. It is a good read, though very sad. At least it wasn't the chimp he raised that mauled him.

Regarding bats and karate vs BF. No chance!

Airdale, nice firearms summary. I am not a fan of the desert eagle either.

For those without a lot of firearms knowledge. If you're going to carry a handgun with a large cartridge like .454 casull that contains a lot of gun powder, please have a barrel at least four inches long. It takes some time/barrel for all that powder to do its job. BTW, one 454 Casull round is like two 44 Mag rounds in energy (not for the faint of heart or those with arthritis).