The Truth About Elbe

Matt Pruitt

Sorry your are wrong

go call comcast up and ask them

The protect the user by masing the IP address of the end user. This is a fact. Its to protect the user from what the person above was trying to do to trace them illegally.

Its a fact call them up

You are correct so then if its Dynamic then everytime they reset the Modem the IP changes so the person would not have the same IP adress.

So which is it Static or Dynamic.

Its Dynamic internally

Diagram

Comcast Backbone ---------------- Router1 <IP to world Static> ----------> customers <private IPs. Dynamic>

Comcast Backbone ---------------- Router2 <IP to world Static> ----------> customers <private IPs. Dynamic>

This is cheaper setup for companies like comcast. they save on IP address. as well as maintaining Privacy for the user from Illegally tracking them down via IP

Edited by CathMcmillan

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. If you did you would know that the screenshot's posted prove guilt beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I do know what I am talking about, but thanks. I didn't see any screenshots.

Ok.. I have some wine.

One second...

LOL

You post a link to Cisco about IP Multicast? I won't even bother to ask what you think IP Multicast has to do with this. But I can provide a simple test for anyone who wants to test their network connectioin to validate CathMcillian's claims. Assuming everyone is probably using a wireless or wired router at their house you need to go into the web admin page of your router.

1) Find out what IP address your router has configured itself for. If you have a Linksys it will be under the Status tab. Write down the IP address shown in your router.

Will look something like this:

Connection Type:

Automatic Configuration - DHCP

Internet IP Address: xx.xx.xx.xx <--- write this number down

Subnet Mask: 255.255.248.0

Default Gateway: x.x.x.x

2) Go to http://whatismyipaddress.com and compare the IP address it shows and the one your local router has configured itself with.

Wanna bet they are the same ? ;)

Edited by BipedalCurious

Cath

With all due respect you have no idea what you are talking about.

He was describing basic NAT -PAT overload. How is he wrong? You're a little savvy in this stuff, as you said, so I assume you know what I'm talking about.

Of course they are the same. Your addresses is NAtT'd to the outside world. That is, of course, you are not using some sort of vpn or proxy to disguise it. But that also only shows the ip for that location. You could be at a campus or corporate location with 1,000 users and they will all have the same external IP. That was the point I was making.

And i do this for a living too, BTW.

So if they have a Dynamic IP address, they would turn the modem off. for a count of 10 then check the information again and the IP address will change externally as well. Since its Dynamic.

If it stays the same when they go to whats my IP it means that their Cable company does what i say it does.

Or they have DSL or T1 or purchased a Static IP.

If under your theory why would people ever purchase Static IPS since as long as they have the Cable Modem and same company the IP address won't change.

Also they should be able to GeoLocate the Ip address and see where it is. How close is it to your home.

Edited by CathMcmillan

^^ I agree, wasn't talking to that point. Customers do NAT/PAT overload. In fact most BestBuy home routers are doing NAT overload. My only,and original point ( which you told me I clearly do not know what I am talking about) was that the ip that shows up in the forum log for any given user could represent 1 to thousands of users behind a NAT'd IP AND that's even if it's not deliberately disguised at the user end. DHCP or static, you could still easily hide your public IP from logs. How do you think people still do Bitorrent these days without getting sued? At least the smarter ones, or the ones that haven't moved to Usenet :)

So if they have a Dynamic IP Biped. they would turn the modem off. for a count of 10 then check the information again and the IP address will change externally as well. If it stays the same it means that their Cable company does what i say it does.

No it doesn't. You are simply speaking on a basis of ignorance of the subject. It is clear you have no concept of how DHCP even works. Lease address systems for very large ISPs will generally guarantee that you have the same IP address for a very long time. This reduces imipact on their internal DHCP systems.

I should know. I have helped sell and engineer systems like this for large ISPs. I know exactly how they work and how large ISPs have them set up.

You are wrong.

So if they have a Dynamic IP address, they would turn the modem off. for a count of 10 then check the information again and the IP address will change externally as well.

I can turn my Mediacom cable modem off a couple minutes, turn it back on and get a whole new IP. It's always been this way.

Your IP is not likely to change that frequently Cath. And certainly not every time you turn off your modem. They will change, but not that often. I can't imagine why any provider would want a DHCP lease that short for things like client broadband connections.

the ip that shows up in the forum log for any given user could represent 1 to thousands of users behind a NAT'd IP

Agreed. Based on the IP address we saw in the screenshots for Tontar this does not apply. And could you please explain to CathMcMillian how DHCP leases work?

Thanks. I have drinking to do.