The Truth About Elbe

Matt Pruitt

I can turn my Mediacom cable modem off a couple minutes, turn it back on and get a whole new IP. It's always been this way.

Your router or your cable modem? Or are they an all in one box. Chances are that you have a very low Lease Time. If you can get access to the box you could see this.

So if i am wrong then each and every person with a dynamic IP address that logs on this forum they Ip address will change.

So their is no acurate way to tell who is who

Agreed. Based on the IP address we saw in the screenshots for Tontar this does not apply. And could you please explain to CathMcMillian how DHCP leases work?

Thanks. I have drinking to do.

I would, but I think we've derailed this thread enough already :)

No it doesn't. You are simply speaking on a basis of ignorance of the subject. It is clear you have no concept of how DHCP even works. Lease address systems for very large ISPs will generally guarantee that you have the same IP address for a very long time. This reduces imipact on their internal DHCP systems.

I should know. I have helped sell and engineer systems like this for large ISPs. I know exactly how they work and how large ISPs have them set up.

You are wrong.

I am not wrong you can sit and say this all the time you want.

Like I said call Comcast up e-mail them

The are required to protect the privacy of the customer from outside snooping. they can not do this if my ip always matchs me from the outside.

You can say you work for what ever but i am correct.

So if i am wrong then each and every person with a dynamic IP address that logs on this forum they Ip address will change.

So their is no acurate way to tell who is who

Cath, it has nothing to do with dynamic or static address. The address is NAT'd, so the address in the forum log could represent multiple people, not just one. And the other point I was making was that anyone that knows how can disguise their external IP so that the forum thinks I am coming from Belgium, for example. My only point was that you can't really focus on an I from a log and think you have someone dead to rights. I haven't seen the screenshot mentioned though, so not sure what other light that sheds on it. When I'm at work and posting my address will never change. I know, I manage the firewall. We use NAT overload. But when I'm at home, it will change once in a while, not too often. When I am at Starbucks, it will change all the time. Most people here would have dynamic IPs I would think that tend to represent one person or a small household other than, of course, those of us that like to post while at the office.

Your router or your cable modem? Or are they an all in one box. Chances are that you have a very low Lease Time. If you can get access to the box you could see this.

See It changed So thats Dynamic which means that his IP would change every time he resets and you can't say for certain his IP is the one that would be used.

Guest Cervelo

I just knew it was Cervelo. Case closed.

At least someone's trying to keep this interesting LOL!

If this is a geek fight I never want to see this again....you guys are some thread killers...

Coulda used you guys in the RD thread a hundred pages ago!

they can not do this if my ip always matchs me from the outside.

Funny. Because I have Comcast and my router's IP matches what the outside says it is.

So does yours. Do the test.

I have worked several criminal cases where we used the IP address to locate the perpetrators of the crime. It held up in a court of law. So I got side with Bipedal curios on this one. Other than that I cant offer any more on the technical side not my expertise.

I am not wrong you can sit and say this all the time you want.

Like I said call Comcast up e-mail them

The are required to protect the privacy of the customer from outside snooping. they can not do this if my ip always matchs me from the outside.

You can say you work for what ever but i am correct.

Uhm, your ip will always match you on the outside. It will not always be the same, but if your current connection can always be traced back to you based on your external IP. That's why things like DDNS ( dynamic dns ) exist in the first place. So that average home users can host services on dynamic ip connections. Now like I said, you can hide your external IP with things like VPNs or proxies if you subscribe to them. If you don't believe us, do the test that Biped suggested. Your external ip follows you wherever you go. Your ISP has no obligation to NAT beyond the NAT that happens on the router in your home. In fact, they may not even be allowed to do that legally.

Cath, it has nothing to do with dynamic or static address. The address is NAT'd, so the address in the forum log could represent multiple people, not just one. And the other point I was making was that anyone that knows how can disguise their external IP so that the forum thinks I am coming from Belgium, for example. My only point was that you can't really focus on an I from a log and think you have someone dead to rights. I haven't seen the screenshot mentioned though, so not sure what other light that sheds on it. When I'm at work and posting my address will never change. I know, I manage the firewall. We use NAT overload. But when I'm at home, it will change once in a while, not too often. When I am at Starbucks, it will change all the time. Most people here would have dynamic IPs I would think that tend to represent one person or a small household other than, of course, those of us that like to post while at the office.

Again comcast in my area doesn't work like that. we are set up behind Comcasts firewall. My neighbor and me will have the same external IP.

Comcast sets up a basic Office network for its end users a Private Comcast network. Its not that difficult to understand

I have my own internal > connects to my router > Router to Modem (Modem has a Comcast IP) > goes to a another router at a box in the neighbor hood (Ip address) that goes to Comcast and out to the internet.

They do this to protect the privacy of the end user.

Admin

Both BC and Cath are correct.

I have Comcast with a dynamic IP and it hasn't changed in three years, even after a few days without power. Verizon DSL on the other hand, will change your IP often, even if you pay extra for a static IP :lol:

I have worked several criminal cases where we used the IP address to locate the perpetrators of the crime. It held up in a court of law. So I got side with Bipedal curios on this one. Other than that I cant offer any more on the technical side not my expertise.

yes but you get court orders to get the ISP provider to provide you where the IP address is connect to.

Both BC and Cath are correct.

I have Comcast with a dynamic IP and it hasn't changed in three years, even after a few days without power. Verizon DSL on the other hand, will change your IP often, even if you pay extra for a static IP :lol:

Thank you, thats all i was saying that comcast works this way. I know other places don't work the same. Nor does DSL when I had At&t i could geolocate right to my home. with comcast its not even close.

Edited by CathMcmillan