The Truth About Elbe

Matt Pruitt

Being a little bit saavy on these things I would be willing to bet the BFF has at worst a year of login/server logs that can be matched to a username. They would just need to grep those logs for the IP address in question and match it to the user. Any large forum has this ability.

Of course this Tontar person would need to permit them to post this information. Based on his responses above it appears there is little chance of this happening.

True

As for me I am done with anything Tontar has to say

The only thing is (as I've said before), there are always newbies drifting through that might take him seriously if someone doesn't stay on top of him.

The more I think about it, the more odd that setup sounds Cath. Why would a provider do that? It puts them on the hook for you actions more than the standard setup. If you were doing illegal downloads the source ip would be a Comcast city pod or whatever they might call it, rather than an individual user's connection. That's harder for DMCA folks to track yes, but Comcast must get bombarded with requests for logs. Instead of saying who had IP a.b.c.d at any given time during a download, they have to go to Comcast and say we traced this to your firewall, now tell us who was downloading from your internal network to such and such external location. That is a lot of work on Comcast part.. Why would they do that?

Plus like I said, your local security would be very highly in question. How does that even work? Do you have a modem or just an ethernet card?

The more I think about it, the more odd that setup sounds Cath. Why would a provider do that? It puts them on the hook for you actions more than the standard setup. If you were doing illegal downloads the source ip would be a Comcast city pod or whatever they might call it, rather than an individual user's connection. That's harder for DMCA folks to track yes, but Comcast must get bombarded with requests for logs. Instead of saying who had IP a.b.c.d at any given time during a download, they have to go to Comcast and say we traced this to your firewall, now tell us who was downloading from your internal network to such and such external location. That is a lot of work on Comcast part.. Why would they do that?

Plus like I said, your local security would be very highly in question. How does that even work? Do you have a modem or just an ethernet card?

They are able to do it. The DMCA goes to comcast says someone with this IP was downloading blah blak on this date and time. Then Comcast looks at the IP address and then matches it to the internal IP address to see who was doing what.

Its no different than an IT manager tracing which computer in the network is doing something.

Its done because its cheap and protects the end user from IP sniffers and people trying to find out where people live and who they are. Its Privacy

Post it. Prove me wrong. Do it !

well not happening now its 10:00pm I am not waking my neighbors up.

but seriously calling me stupid saying I don't know what I am talking about and have no clue is a personal attack on me.

Tontar, you sure do a lot of typing without saying much. And you're a pretty good dancer too...but your slip is showing. :D

One of the best routines I've seen since this:

I think I've been here before. Two people throwing punches and about a hundred folks just watchin. Just a Sunday afternoon in the park.

but seriously calling me stupid saying I don't know what I am talking about and have no clue is a personal attack on me.

I never called you stupid.

You are making a claim and I am asking you to back it up. I am saying that you do not understand the technical details of which you are speaking. Saying that you are wrong is not saying that you are stupid. I am certain you have deep profound knowledge on many things I probably do not.

This subject is just not one of them.

I ask you to back up your claim that you and your neighbors share the same IP address.

This thread has gotten a bit off track but it still relates in that you are claiming the IP address information posted about Tontar has no meaning whatsoever. I am saying that you are wrong.

They are able to do it. The DMCA goes to comcast says someone with this IP was downloading blah blak on this date and time. Then Comcast looks at the IP address and then matches it to the internal IP address to see who was doing what.

Its no different than an IT manager tracing which computer in the network is doing something.

Its done because its cheap and protects the end user from IP sniffers and people trying to find out where people live and who they are. Its Privacy

Yeah, I understand how the DCMA would take place in a setup like yours, it just seems like a hassle on Comcast part to have to deal with that all the time. But hey, it's their setup. I do understand what you are saying now, I didn't at first since I've never heard of an ISP setting things up like that. Do you live in a condo or something maybe?

Like i said you won't believe it if I showed it to you so what is the point.

Since you think I don't know what i am talking about. Stop trying to play it will mean something, You know it won't prove anything to you. Because you think I am incorrect even when another person confirmed it.

You want to prove me wrong call comcast I dare you!

Yeah, I understand how the DCMA would take place in a setup like yours, it just seems like a hassle on Comcast part to have to deal with that all the time. But hey, it's their setup. I do understand what you are saying now, I didn't at first since I've never heard of an ISP setting things up like that. Do you live in a condo or something maybe?

No i do not live in a condo area. Its a dead end street and the geoIp location is several streets over.

Like i said you won't believe it if I showed it to you so what is the point.

And with that I think we are done. That is a standard answer when people know they don't have the goods to back up their claims.

And yes mud wrestling does sound fun.

Edited by BipedalCurious