Sign in to follow this  

Is There More To The Pgf?

Bill

There is more to the story, which can't be publicly disclosed at this time, because the efforts to locate the film do need to procede in a somewhat delicate and discrete manner.

Basically, the total of what we know can't be disclosed until after the film is either found or verified as lost.

As to maintaining sanity, the film's 45 year history does have a few examples of people who got so obsessed with it that they went a little nuts (the massacre advocates as one example), and occasionally something about it still surprises me with both unexpected joys and disappointments. So I make a deliberate effort to occasionally step back and review everything and keep myself grounded in what's relaible fact vs rumor, speculation or outright lies.

But the larger mysteries of the film saga are complicated, that I can confirm.

Bill

Sunflower

Patterson gave the original to the ANE Company (under what terms we don't know) but it remained in their possession after Roger died. A few years after that, the company went bankrupt. At their bankruptcy auction, someone bought a lot of miscelaneous office furnishings, file cabinets, etc. and found buried in one file cabinet the camera original. Thus they legaly acquired it as physical property. They put it in a film storage vault in Southern California. In 1980 or thereabouts, Rene Dahinden used his 51% rights/ownership court judgment (which he purchased from Bob Gimlin) to bluff the film vault people into thinking he had majority ownership and thus a right to check out the film for study. He actually didn't have such a legal right.

The film was never returned to the vault facility.

The true legal owners remain the person or company which bought it at auction. If they choose to file a claim of theft, they would be entitled to do so. To our knowledge, they have not, thus far.

That's where it stands.

Bill

Did Patterson give it to ANE or loan it to them? I have a friend who loaned hours and hours of video to a person and that person never returned those videos, so my point is if it is a loan then Patterson's estate should have a claim to it? I realize that possession is 9/10's and all that but still the question remains in my mind.

Bill

We don't know the contractual conditions between Patterson and the ANE company. We know Roger supplied a lot of footage and authorized its usage in their documentary "Bigfoot Man or Beast" but I've never seen or heard of any reliable source for what the conditions of that collaboration were, and if the original film ownership was part of the package. Since the ANE company long ago went bankrupt and more than likely all it's business paperwork, contracts, etc. were lost in the sale of assets, we likely will never know what the terms of Roger's deal with them specifically was.

Bill

Bill are you suggesting that Rene Dahinden got to the original reel in the vault, then never returned it??? Is the original reel hidden in Rene's estate? And did he never come clean about having it because he obtained it illegally? This sounds juicy.

Bill

It is known that Rene got it. That's how the Cibachromes came to exist. From there, the story is a big "?"

:)

Bill

Bill

Rene Dahinden, who along with John Green was called the very day Roger filmed his footage, and Rene was one of the people attending the first showing of the footage on Sunday, Oct. 22, 1967, at Al DeAtley's house. Rene was a determined PGF researcher from that day until he died a decade or so ago.

SweatyYeti

It is known that Rene got it. That's how the Cibachromes came to exist. From there, the story is a big "?"

:)

Bill

Do you know if Rene was asked about it's location after the Cibachromes were made, Bill....and, what his response to such questioning was??

He must have been asked about it....and, more than once. :)

Bill

SY:

Various people who knew Rene and talked with him will tell different stories about Rene and his remarks about the original. Some will say Rene told them he had it, and others will say Rene told them he didn't have it. I've heard it both ways from people who say they knew Rene personally.

Hard to sort out.

Bill

SweatyYeti

Interesting responses from Rene, Bill... :huh:

I bet that Eric Dahinden knows where the Original is....or what became of it.

Bill

I have spoken with Eric, but everything we discussed is confidential at the present. So I can't say more at this time in anything regarding him.

Bill

MAybe something will come of that to eventually bring closure. Good luck! :)

SweatyYeti

I hope so, too! :)

Sign in to follow this