TD-40

Why Patterson And Gimlim Were Successful That Day.

TD-40

I am positing a theory that I would like your opinion on.

If P-G had been hiking on foot that day, they would not have gotten so close to Patty because she would have been alerted to them approaching and would have probably taken flight much sooner. No, I am not referring to the fortunate timing of crossing paths with Patty, I am referring to the fact that P-G arrived on horseback.

This is where my theory comes in... P-G had their successful encounter because they were on horseback. Patty did not recognize them as humans while they were sitting atop the horses. In fact, it's possible that Patty saw, heard, and smelled the horses and wanted to get near to them for reasons known only to her. But once P-G dismounted, that's when Patty saw them as humans and quickly departed. And the video camera came out and the two men had the experience of a lifetime.

This man's experience in this video is what made me see the correlation with Patty. The bigfoot continued approaching him without much concern while he was on horseback.

So what do you think? I think P-G had their successful encounter because Patty did not recognize them as humans which allowed them to get eerily close to her. If they had been hiking on foot, the experience never would have happened because Patty would have left the area or would have hidden and observed them from afar. Being on horseback is what allowed them to get so close to her because she did not yet recognize them as humans.

Edited by TD-40

I have thought the same regarding horses, but then I think that Native Americans are supposed to have a long history and connection with Sasquatch so men on horses wouldn't necessarily be unknown to a Bigfoot.

Guest thermalman

Agreed td-40. The horses acted as camouflage until the dismount.

Matt Pruitt

IF... (and I know that it's a pretty big if, which hasn't been fully resolved yet...) the PGF shows a real sasquatch, then I don't think that the horses had as much to do with the circumstances as the major flood of '64 did.

That flood eradicated so much of the tree cover, brush, and vegetation along the creek that any animal living in that drainage was forced to leave the security of the tree line to access the creek for water, fish, etc.

Moreover, Bob Gimlin claims that the sasquatch was squatted down next to the creek when they first spied it, so it's possible that it wouldn't have heard their approach over the sound of rushing water.

Guest thermalman

That is relevant. The river sound might have something to do with the late realization of the horse's close presence?

Edited by thermalman

Airdale

Modern horses were introduced to the Americas by the Spaniards, and while the plains tribes used them I'm not sure how widespread horses were among the peoples along the Pacific and inland from there. As I recall, when the Aztecs first encountered the mounted Spaniards they believed them to be integral with their mounts. It would be easy to imagine a Sasquatch making the same error.

Matt, if you haven't seen it yet, this thread: Bill Munns' Pgf Presentation From The Texas Bigfoot Conference would likely interest you. Good call on the stream noise also.

TD-40

I have heard of other experiences where people were able to get extremely close to one because the noise from a river masked their sound, and the sasquatch's attention was on what it was doing around the water instead of being alerted to an encroaching human. The fact that Patty's attention was on the water and that the river may have masked the sound of the approaching horses should definitely be part of the equation that answers the question as to why P-G were successful that day. Very interesting point you bring up there.

But still, isn't it true that Patty started leaving the area after they dismounted? If so, then being on horseback could be part of the reason why they were able to get so close to her.

Edited by TD-40

WV FOOTER

I have seen this report before. An extremely close encounter. I can't see what Clynn would have to gain by making up such a story. But, like I have always thought to myself, if you see a Bigfoot with your own eyes, what others believe is irrelavent.

Guest Bigfoothunter

My two cents:

I have stood at Bluff Creek along the film site when it had water rushing over the rocks as seen in the opening of the Patterson film and I must say the sound is deafening. From a distance of 8 feet, I couldn't be talking to the guy with me and he hear me. We would actually have to get up within 3 to 4 feet and speak loudly to each other to be heard. The further one moved away from the rushing water - the easier it would be to hear each other. That convinced me that the Patterson creature never heard the two men approaching.

Because the creature was at a fast flowing waters edge, I doubt that it smelled the men approaching either. I say this because when I am near a stream in a similar situation, the dampness of the ground and cool air found along such streams have a scent all their own. It mask scents much like hunting in a rain does.

The Sasquatch appears to have been taken by surprise. It was squatted down getting a drink when Roger rounded the overturned root system. It stood up at that point which caused Roger's horse to get spooked. Gimlin was still 15 feet or so behind and approaching and by the time Bob caught up and rounded the debris - the creature was now standing. Bob got to see it turn and step up the bank and start walking away.

Having spoken to Gimlin in detail on several occasions, he agrees that it was a combination of their persistence in staying out there for as long as they did - combined with pure luck to have had their encounter at all. Upon having had their encounter and leaving to send the film off, Roger called to see about getting a tracking dog brought down as he wanted he and Bob to remain there for another week so to try and track the creature down, but Bob was away from home longer than he had originally arranged to be, not to mention running out of money, so he refused to stay with the rains like they were. Roger then asked Bob if he could come back and get him a week later if he (Roger) stayed and Bob said that he wouldn't do that, thus the two left for Yakima together.

Edited by Bigfoothunter

Bill

The fack that Roger and Bob approached from the opposite side of the creek thtat Patty was on both explains their ability to approach unheard, and also defeats suspicions of hoax, because you need to communicate with your talent in a hoax filming and communication from one side of the crek to the other by voice is all but useless, and with a guy in a costume, the mask impairing his vision, visual signels also don't work.

The creek is a vital part of authenticating the reality of the encounter.

Bill

• Upvote 1

TD-40

What about the behavior of the horses? I do not know how they reacted upon seeing Patty.

Matt Pruitt

The point that I was trying to make by referencing the flood is this:

According to the majority of reports, sasquatches very, very rarely leave the cover of dense brush or large trees. The fact that the sasquatch is out in the open, away from the cover of the treeline may seem suspicious to someone who sees the film without understanding how the flood of 1964 changed the landscape.

If the film is legitimate, then it makes sense that the sasquatch would've been exposed to access water, as the flood would have eradicated all of the trees and brush that lined the creek. That vegetation has since grown back, and looked nothing like the 1967 film when I visited the site in 2010.

Edited by Matt Pruitt
  • Upvote 2

Guest OntarioSquatch

A couple different things might have been a factor to their success. One being that Patty was in an open area when they saw her. I think this was crucial. If they were in the thick woods, Roger might not have been able to film her. I think another factor was that Roger and Bob came around a bend where Patty couldn't see them until they got around it. Running water also blocks out a bit of sound. To me the story is pretty believable when coupled with what we know about the film.

Edited by OntarioSquatch

Hahaha. Without the Patty film, very few of us would be here! Patty is the foundation and lower level of the BF experience. Nothing else comes close, and even then, few people believe it. Without the film, you would only have eyewitness talk, and blobsquatches.

PBeaton

Wag,

Don't forget these !  

Pat...

post-279-0-01829400-1368225041_thumb.jpg