TD-40

Why Patterson And Gimlim Were Successful That Day.

Guest DWA

By Wikipedia definition, the smart take on Patterson-Gimlin is:  real.

All known facts point to that conclusion.

Thanks, man!

Guest Cervelo

In your opinion ;) your welcome!!

Edited by Cervelo
Remove Objectionable Material

Guest DWA

Didn't work with my brow ridge.  :sungum:

Guest Cervelo

"Everyone has a right to their own opinion, but no one has a right to be wrong about the facts. Without the facts, your opinion is of no value.†Rene Dahinden, August 1999.

This has to be one of the most ignorant things I've ever read

Guest DWA

Why?  What is an opinion worth if it doesn't consider and reflect the facts?

bipedalist
BFF Patron

I'm wondering if he (Dahinden) was talking about the "fact" that Bigfoot is an "ape" (nonintelligent/nonthinking) in that quote (though I don't know for sure, just a hunch).......  which is far from a fact btw.   I'm sure he thought it a "fact" that he would kill a BF and haul it's body in during his lifetime too (wrong on both counts). 

Guest Cervelo

Why? What is an opinion worth if it doesn't consider and reflect the facts?

It's someone's opinion it doesn't have to be right or backed up by fact...

To categorically state someones opinion is not worth consideration or have value without facts to back it up would render this whole fourm invalid by his standards.

Not to mention the astounding arrogance and condescension of such a statement!

It's quite astounding that proponents quote such drivel, hypocritical and sadly hilarious at the sametime.

Edited by Cervelo

Guest Bigfoothunter

Why? What is an opinion worth if it doesn't consider and reflect the facts?

It's someone's opinion it doesn't have to be right or backed up by fact...

So are you saying that two wrongs do make a right and/or why attempt to raise the bar for intelligent discussion when it is so much easier to lower it?

In post #30 is a quote from Rene Dahinden that if really actually thought about - it is really a common sense rule of thumb that applies to about everything in life ... don't you think! Rene was saying that people are entitled to their opinion, but how much that opinion is worth is based on it being supported by the facts. The claims Davis made over the Massacre in Bluff Creek should have taught everyone to avoid implementing poor research practices when ever possible.

Edited by Bigfoothunter

Guest Cervelo

Hummm I think I was pretty clear on my opinion of his statement.

To suggest I'm dumbing down something or not applying common sense is rather childish IMO but whatever works for you is good by me :)

Please feel free to pick up a button!

Edited by Cervelo

Guest Bigfoothunter

Hummm I think I was pretty clear on my opinion of his statement.

To suggest I'm dumbing down something or not applying common sense is rather childish IMO but whatever works for you is good by me :)

Please feel free to pick up a button!

Me too, especially when I quoted you. In fact, you've been critical against the posting of opinions that have little to no factual merit.  I refer to your responses to Patty3's opinions on the Jacob subject not being a bear.

To categorically state someones opinion is not worth consideration or have value without facts to back it up would render this whole fourm invalid by his standards.

Let's try and stay consistent. This is just one such response you gave over the worth of Patty3's opinion on the Jacob subject being a bear, "Ahhh your the one claiming it's an undocumented, unproven hominid apparently doing yoga in front of a camera as opposed to a bear."
Edited by Bigfoothunter

Guest Cervelo

Sorry I don't understand what your point is?

norseman
BFF Donor

Horseback is a double edged sword.

Yes you can get closer to wildlife as they often equate what they see, hear and smell to another animal and not a human.

But by the same token if your mount doesn't like the situation? A rider could be bucked off, trampled, crushed in a rear over, so on and so forth. At the very least if the rider plans to dismount either somebody has to hold the mounts or find a suitable place to tie up too. And trust me.........rotten dead falls do not work well. :no:

I have no idea if being on horse back helped Roger and Bob or not in that particular situation. But it certainly allowed them to cover alot more ground over the course of their trip. A hard day of riding in mountainous country is roughly 20-30 miles depending on trail conditions, bucking deadfalls, etc. Your not going to do that walking. Also I've noticed if I'm hiking and blowing wind and tired, I tend to miss more, than if I'm on horseback and not winded and tired. The horse for the most part is doing the work and your mind is better able to observe it's natural surrounding. Or in the case of a four wheeler or motorcycle, I'm more concentrated on driving and avoiding ruts, rocks, logs, etc, than if I'm riding a horse that is doing all that for you.

I do remember Bob saying that they had some trouble controlling their stock during the encounter though. 

I have worked with good mountain stock and I've worked with some real knot heads. That too places a crucial part in if your going to have a productive, hassle free day. Or if your going to have a nightmare of a trip. My mantra is "Life is too short to deal with a bad horse or mule". I do not have a lot of time to train something anymore. So the best bet is to go buy yourself a bomb proof mountain horse, pay the extra dinero and your body will thank you in the end.

Guest Bigfoothunter

Sorry I don't understand what your point is?

Maybe having less than 15 minutes to respond wasn't enough time for you to digest it all. I am sure it will come to you eventually.    :)

Guest Cervelo

Awwwww now your just being....

Guest COGrizzly

Love that word...