Drew

Is This The Complete Reel Of The Pgf?

Drew

I think it has parts I haven't seen before.

This would probably be classified as Reel 1.

Reel 2 would have the stomp test, and the casting of the footprints? Unless the casting scenes were filmed long before the actual film shown in the link. But the point is, I think this has stuff I haven't seen before, anyone else concur?

• Upvote 1

GreatBIGFoot

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Thepattywagon

Wow!

WV FOOTER

I've never seen the part before "Patty" is seen. But, I also remeber a piece from this where footprints are shown, along with distances between footprints. Where is that part of the film, that you never see, nor have I ever seen discussed on any scientific program or documentary? Sorry to say, but the way that was put together, makes ya wonder. Although from expert opinions on the films authenticity, the mystery continues.

The reel ran out where the film ends. The portion you're referring to with the footprints, etc., is on the second reel. To my knowledge, that reel hasn't been seen in its entirety.

Sorry to say, but the way that was put together, makes ya wonder.

The way what was put together? The order in which Patterson shot each scene?

Drew

Someone else is shooting at least one of the scenes, you can see Roger riding in one of them.

I assume then that would be the G part of the PGF acronym.

Drew

We would assume that. He did a pretty good job for a guy who wasn't good with cameras.

Bill

Yes, this is the complete first reel. It's identical to the full first reel copy I scanned from John Green's archives.

Bill

Yes, this is the complete first reel. It's identical to the full first reel copy I scanned from John Green's archives.

Good to know!

Drew

Thanks Bill.

How many frames are in the reel you copied?

Is that the same number of frames that would be in the film original print?

Airdale

We would assume that. He did a pretty good job for a guy who wasn't good with cameras.

I don't see any part of the film prior to the money shot exhibiting cinematography skills beyond what any person of average intelligence and coordination might accomplish. The camera is either tripod mounted or being exceptionally well steadied against some fixed object. Possibly a monopod was used or a rifle stock type mount, but either of those would still have to be steadied to account for the smooth panning seen in some scenes.

There is an initial establishing shot starting with the silhouetted rider then panning to the right. Next a slow pan following rider and packhorse with an abrupt jerk to the left at the end. Then a slow diagonal pan to the upper left followed by a slow tracking shot of rider and packhorse from right to left then stopping as the rider stops, a resume of the pan to the right then a return as the rider turns toward and approaches the camera and a slow pan to follow until he passes to the right of the camera and another pan to the right. Finally a fixed shot as rider and packhorse move away from the camera then a transition to a slow pan to the upper left tracking away from the rider. Start camera, track horseman and/or pan scenery. Not rocket science, especially for someone used to tracking a moving game animal over the sights of his rifle.

Also, thanks for posting the clip Drew. I've not seen anything but the clip usually shown in documentaries, etc.

Bill

The film Roger used is called a 100' load, and labeled as such, but it's actually between 105' and 107', because there's an allowance for the lost portions exposed to light when loading and unloading a daylight reel. So depending on how a person loads it, their total usable film could run from maybe 101' or 102' down to 95' or so.

I scanned 3850 frames, and a true 100' exactly would be 4000 frames. So the copy I scanned could be just with the washout parts clipped off, and that length would be reasonable for a full load of usable picture.

Bill

added:

In so far as the parts where Bob Gimlin filmed Roger, the camera had a pistol grip and so holding the grip with the left hand and operating the trigger on the camera with the right hand and then holding the camera body steady with the right would result in a fairly steady image for a person who wasn't a real cameraman (I'd define a real cameraman as one who knows how to load and unload the camera, set the filming speeds, set the lens Fstop and focus, and change lenses, etc.)

But Bob made a mistake in segment 7 (his last segment before Roger filmed him from behind going down the road). Bob started the camera pointed at the back end of the white pack horse and then just lost the horse alltogether, Fairly amateurish as one would expect from a person who wasn't too experienced with a camera.

Bill

Edited by Bill