Drew

Is This The Complete Reel Of The Pgf?

Bill

To my knowledge, no. There is a total physical disconnect between camera filming speed and projection speed. That's what enables stop-motion animation and time-lapse photography (showing flowers bloom, for example) to be done.

Nothing that I know about projection speeds and telecine conversions can lead us to some conclusion about Roger's camera speed. I'll defer to more knowledgeable people who may want to write up a mechanical analysis on the topic.

Bill

Bill,

You're correct. There's another unknown variable I was completely overlooking.

What in the world is that sound at 1:35?  It almost sounds like a groan!

There's no sound on the original film. Whatever you hear was recorded by the video camera recording the film being projected.

Maybe the guy who did this had indigestion. 

wufgar

Bill - sorry if I am just having a blonde moment here about matters already discussed, but Roger's camera required two hands to operate?  So he was filming and running with no hands to use for stability?  Just point me to a link if this is clarified elsewhere.  Many thanks!  WUFGAR!

Edited by wufgar

Bill

Wufgar:

The K-100 camera requires the left hand to hold it either by cradling the base in the hand or holding a pistol grip, and the right hand works the trigger to run the camera. But the trigger has several settings, one if you hold it down, the camera runs as long as you hold it and stops when you take your finger off, but it has another setting where you press it down and the camera runs and even if you release the trigger, the camera keeps running until you deliberately push the trigger switch up to stop the camera.

So it can be operated with one hand or two, but the way the film shows starts and stops, it seems more likely Roger used the first setting and each time he lifted his finger off the trigger, maybe to balance himself, the camera stopped, and he had to restart it again when his footing was more secure.

Bill

Backdoc

I seem to remember the old conversation in the 1980's was about film speed. That is, if it was filmed at say 24 fps vs 18 fps.  Thus, some experts like Grieve in England said one of the settings pointed to it being real and not a man in a suit.  

It seems since that time there has been little talk of film speed on the TV shows and more about the enhanced film and the detail it shows.  Is this because the film speed is just an unknown or is it because the film has more detail to focus on?

Backdoc

JiggyPotamus

I do not recall having seen this before. Just looking at the landscape at the time that Patty was captured on film, it is quite obvious why they had success on their venture. The sand-bars created by flooding meant that animals, including sasquatch, had to cross a vast open area to get a drink. So if it was not for the weather that had recently occurred at that location, the reels from this trip would exist only in someone's closet or storage unit, and none of them would contain a depiction of sasquatch. 

roguefooter

Kit said he had a person who claimed to have it, and in my conversations with Kit, I know who that person is. But he has only about 17 seconds and a full reel should be 3.5 to 4 minutes so it obviously isn't anywhere near complete.

I was thinking, is it possible that the second reel is only a partial roll and they never actually used up the whole thing? I would think that the section of film trailing the footage would be able to tell us something.

Edited by roguefooter

Bill

I have scanned 16 feet of Roger standing by a tree holding two plaster casts (you've seen a few frames of that often) and I found in this print of that footage indications of a light washout, meaning that was the last 16 feet or so of a reel. We presume that's "reel 2" but we actually can't prove it yet factually. Calling that Roger by tree with casts footage second reel is largelt based on testimony, but not validated by physical film inspection. But that show is most definitely the last shot segment of some reel.

Bill

SweatyYeti
Bill wrote:

I have scanned 16 feet of Roger standing by a tree holding two plaster casts (you've seen a few frames of that often) and I found in this print of that footage indications of a light washout, meaning that was the last 16 feet or so of a reel. We presume that's "reel 2" but we actually can't prove it yet factually. Calling that Roger by tree with casts footage second reel is largelt based on testimony, but not validated by physical film inspection. But that show is most definitely the last shot segment of some reel.

Bill

Bill, does that 16-feet of film contain footage showing Roger with this other grip on the casts...(shown on the right)?...

RogerCastsDisplay-TwoGrips_zpsbcd055fa.j

Also, about how many seconds does it run for, if it was filmed at 16-18 fps?

I'm wondering, because kitakaze claimed that he had the "complete 2nd reel footage"....which, if I recall correctly, he said contained only about 45-60 seconds of footage.

The problem with his claim, is that the 2nd reel may have contained footage of 3, or 4 separate events. Those being...

1) footage of a section of Patty's trackway,

2) Roger casting one track,

3) the 'stomp test', 

4) Roger displaying the two casts.

If it did include those 4 events, then that would only allow for about 10-15 seconds of footage, per event. So, I'm wondering if you could provide any additional information, about this. :)
Edited by SweatyYeti

roguefooter

Bill I think you should just get your hands on the reel that the guy has (whoever he is) and see what exactly is on it, and if there are any splices, etc. What he has may really be the whole thing.

If that were all there was to the 2nd reel then that would support the rush they were in that day to get the films shipped off.

Bill

Sweati:

16 feet at 16 frames per second is 40 secones of footage.

Roguefooter:

The guy Kit says had second reel stuff I have talked to but he's reluctant to allow inspection. I am still working through that problem

Bill