Initial Reaction To The Pgf

I'm curious about all of our initial reactions to the PGF after first viewing. How old we're you when you first saw it and what did you think at that time? What were your first impressions?

Guest OntarioSquatch

I saw it on the discovery channel the first time. I was intrigued. I couldn't tell if it was a guy in a suit or not, but it looked to me like it could have been a suit. It wasn't until closer inspection that I was convinced it's real.

I first saw stills from it published in a National Wildlife Magazine article in 1968. I was 8 years old, and a kid had brought in in for show and tell. I remember asking my teacher "Is it real?" and her just looking back at me with a skeptical look on her face. I later begged my father to take me to see the documentary (can't remember the name of it) that included the footage. I've kinda been hooked on the bigfoot mystery ever since. My feeling about the film today is that to me, it's not an obvious hoax and I would go so far as to say it appears to show a real creature. Still, I would need clear, up close, day time photos or footage to convince me that an 8 foot tall species of primate is living undetected in North America. Either that or a body.

Edited by barncat

TedSallis

Saw it first on "The Mysterious Monsters" hosted by Peter Graves back in the 1970's.  When I was in AV in high school, they had a tape (reel to reel video tape of course) of this and I watched it just about every day for a while.  I was convinced it was a real animal, and not a fake.  Of course I was too young to be skeptical in those days, but as time has gone on my feeling that the film is not a hoax has been strengthened.

WV FOOTER

I saw the PGF in a movie theater somewhere around 1969-1970. I was very young, and I was flipped out that something like this was roaming the Pacific Northwest. From then on that sparked an interest in Bigfoot. I have been a FOOTER ever since. After discovering sightings were documented in my home state, actually only a couple hour drive from my home, I began solo research outings in hopes of becoming a knower. The search continues.

TedSallis

I saw the PGF in a movie theater somewhere around 1969-1970. I was very young, and I was flipped out that something like this was roaming the Pacific Northwest. From then on that sparked an interest in Bigfoot. I have been a FOOTER ever since. After discovering sightings were documented in my home state, actually only a couple hour drive from my home, I began solo research outings in hopes of becoming a knower. The search continues.

Did you ever have any personal sightings, WV?  And if you have posted them elsewhere, is there a link where I can read them?

Thanks!

Patterson-Gimlin

I saw it in a theater  around 1968 or so. I was amazed. It looked very real to me. I had seen many monster movies and cheesy suits . This was nothing like I ever saw.

Airdale

I first saw stills in the Argosy Magazine Ivan T. Sanderson article and it excited me. That was the February 1968 edition so I was a Junior in High School. I'd been interested in the subject since about '63 when Boy's Life ran a story on the road building project when Jerry Crew found and cast the print by his Cat.

I never really had any doubt after that. There was so much detail, the musculature, the breasts. I'd seen what Hollywood did with ape costumes, even Planet of the Apes, which was released in the same month, was nothing like this. Also,and this is very subjective, Patty simply fit the environment surrounding her as would a bear, elk, or other native animal.

When I first saw the actual film it was anti-climactic because I can't remember exactly when it was, sometime within the next year I suppose.

Rockape

I can't remember what my first reaction to the PGF was, since it was so long ago when I saw it.

But I'm pretty sure it's the same reaction as now, if it's a fake, it's a **** good one.

• Upvote 1

I remember it on Leonard Nimoy's In Search Of TV show in the early seventies.  I was about 7 and then soon after seeing a book about bigfoot in the school library.  To me it still is the reason why I follow the bigfoot scene to see if we will ever again get evidence nearly that good.  Maybe the populations were small and there was more wilderness prior to the seventies for them and they are now extinct and PG were just lucky and smart (I still think using horses is the way to go to try to find bigfoot if he is still around).

I don't even remember when I first saw it.  Probably when I was a kid in the 1970s.  Since I can't remember the first time I saw it, I also don't remember what I thought about it, although I'm pretty sure I would have been intrigued.  I do recall seeing several documentaries when I was young about the supposed discovery of Noah's Ark on Mount Ararat, and that fascinated me no end, so I'm certain that Bigfoot also would have interested me a lot.

BOQUK

First saw this in the 70's watching with my brother and mother (about 8 or 9 years old) in black and white and remember this quite vividly as the loung door was shut and then started to slowly open, I ran behind the sofa only to find it was my dad messing about - scared to hell out of me though and will never forget it!

I think my dad enjoyed scaring me (RIP) as he also took me and my brother to the cinema to see both Jaws and King Kong in the 70's - needless to say I spent most of the time hiding and have never liked them since or any other horror films!

However, I always had a fascination with the PGF and bigfoot in general and drive my wife and kids crazy trying to get them to look at the film..!

interesting stuff

It's tough to remember but I think I saw the clip at about 8 or 9 years old. I had definately seen a still photo a few years earlier in a book or something but the actual film was obviously much more intriguing.

after first viewing I was leaning towards guy in ape suit. The funny thing is that the more I read about it, the more I was being swayed to the opposite side.

I've finally come to the conclusion that it's the most interesting and confusing video ever created. Whatever the truth is, it's utterly fascinating.

Early 70's mystery TV show, probably " In Search of ", I remember being so frustrated the next year when they didnt have another Bigfoot episode that I wrote them a letter. I figured they had been out looking for it all that time, they sent me package of photo copied pictures and stories.

But two things stood out for me then and still do today.

First if its a suit, why the breasts? For years I thought I was the only one to notice, it seems like it had only been mentioned in the last ten years or so.

The second is the face, It looks like a mask to me. Heavy dark hair above the eyes and below the nose with the white patch in the middle. It doesn't seem like a natural hair pattern to me.

But this always leads me in circles." It looks like a mask, must be suit. Oh yah, Who would put boobs on a suit "

gp

Edited by deernelk

The boobs are a bit of a conundrum for me

If its a suit, it's a stoke of genius to include that detail.