Not Advertising What You Are Doing In The Field

Guest Cervelo

Quite frankly if I'm out hunting, fishing or hiking and especially if I'm introducing someone new to the outdoor experience.

The last thing I want going on is some idiot whopping and banging on trees, this behavior in public parks is frowned upon and rightly so.

Your crapping all over someone else's experience and potentially scaring the crap out of someone and endangering your own life if your sneeking around in the dark.

Keep in mind if your in a national park open carry is legal.

I like the Hab Bigfoot research theroy stay home they'll come to you!!!

BFF Patron

Wude,  A few years ago, the stickers would have only drawn good conversation. One time... it even got me a witness, and a follow up investigation. What was once positive, about a couple stickers... has turned negative. I'm an NRA member.. but would not advertise it on my vehicle, anymore. Too many goofballs out there, that might  target me... for whatever reasons or agendas.  Not the same America, it used to be.  Why I kept the BF stickers on after the TV series, is beyond me..and obviously, a mistake. I can admit that, move on.. and make the needed adjustments. It affected the others with me, that hauled in all their equipment through the forest, in hopes of good listening.  I've removed All my vehicle stickers.

I agree, others have every bit as much right to enjoy... the same natural resources in the field (for whatever reasons), as me... no question. 

You've got a point there bro.  I've tried my best to keep my car sticker free.  Have to omit I've put a few decals on the inside but they are usually small and barely readable.  I won't plaster huge bumper stickers telling my allegiances to anyone anymore...... I, like you, now think it could invite trouble in this post-911 world of ours.  

And Cerv, you make it sound easy for the Habs, hell you gotta find 'em first before you can invite them to follow you back to the house, speaking from experience, of course, hahahahah!  Don't be so lazy do some of your own work first.  Zing!

Guest Cervelo

Have been for 53yrs none followed me home yet...:( guess I don't have the correct "mental" disposition for that experience ;)

Guest thermalman

Adjust your pheromones, in order to draw BF towards you!   ;)

Edited by thermalman

Wow and you seem a little sensitive this morning and if that was my intent (which it wasn't by the way) mission accomplished ;)!!!

No harm done, and it's all good. I should never respond to a reply.. before I've had my first cup and coffee and done my duty  ;)

Your field experience is realistic, and appreciated... even if we do not always agree on the topic.

Guest Cervelo

Going back and reading my post I can now see I used to many you's and your's and did not intend for it to directed at you personally but it certainly could have been interpreted that way....and for that I apologize to you :)

All good here as well!!!

no matter what its a catch 22, if u hear a wood knock or whoop or you do one? its very likely another human.

I seen this kind of issue coming the moment I seen news about there being FB show in the works.

I do not where or carry anything on my person or method of transportation that may indicate I am some how involved in research.  If people ask me why I spend time in the woods I say I am observing wildlife { witch I am } , taking pictures or studying ecosystems.   Even at my camp nobody will find any trace of audio or visual collection devices but trust me, they are there.   

One thing I plan on doing is finding magnetic bigfoot related car adds, that way if you head into town you can slap them on in town parking lot and maybe get some information and just before leaving town you can pop them off and hide them under the seat. 

I have also selected areas where people shy away from, people like to camp where there is patches of level ground and where there is a established fire ring with wood near by. 

Registration stickers, that's it. I've never advertised, and I don't talk much about what I find either.

It's just the way I do things.

I don't want the hassle of the former and the stigma of the latter. When I am satisfied with what I have gathered, I will put it all between two covers and share it with other serious Squatchers.

If I happen to stumble across Bigfoot remains, then I will shout it to the world, without selling memberships.

Until then I an happy to quietly squatch.

no matter what its a catch 22, if u hear a wood knock or whoop or you do one? its very likely another human.

Sometimes, the "whoop or oop" turns out to be coyote.

https://soundcloud.com/imonacan/whoops-and-distant-train

We did hear (in one case, recorded) movements (could have been anything larger), and some interesting tap knocks. The knocks, sounding much like.. when one would lightly test the tone of their knocker on a tree. This took place, the night before the "Finding Bigfoot" impersonators set up. There was only one other group of three campers, well away from us. If it was them.. they walked through dense forest in the moonless dark, and stalked our camp... and then moved off without us seeing them, or hearing them (even, with my assisted listening device). Not coming to any conclusions on the source.. but it has happened in the past (in the general area), as well..where we were completely alone (so we thought). I don't think it was known wildlife, or human. One of the reasons I'm still out there... to try and discover to the source and truth, that's keeps teasing and eating at me... but not revealing.

An example... of one of the recorded knocks :

https://soundcloud.com/imonacan/tap-knock2

Edited by imonacan

Guest zenmonkey

Ya sorry man hopefully the finding bigfoot crap will phase out. I still like my recent approach just get myself way out there and just observe. Don't make a sound. Just sit. I dunno seemed different than the usual way I'd do things. Just my 1/2 a cent.

We did hear (in one case, recorded) movements (could have been anything larger), and some interesting tap knocks. The knocks, sounding much like.. when one would lightly test the tone of their knocker on a tree. This took place, the night before the "Finding Bigfoot" impersonators set up. There was only one other group of three campers, well away from us. If it was them.. they walked through dense forest in the moonless dark, and stalked our camp... and then moved off without us seeing them, or hearing them (even, with my assisted listening device). Not coming to any conclusions on the source.. but it has happened in the past (in the general area), as well..where we were completely alone (so we thought). I don't think it was known wildlife, or human. One of the reasons I'm still out there... to try and discover to the source and truth, that's keeps teasing and eating at me... but not revealing.

Thanks for sharing your recordings, and your right many people misidentify what they are hearing and a few will go as far as insist its a squatch mimicing a coyote or whatever.

But I also think there are alot of people out there simply whooping and wood knocking each other and not on purpose. Not unlike a heavily hunted area for elk where hunters will call other hunters in each thinking the other is a elk.

The only real defense I have found is to get away from roads and high use trails by a couple of miles

im guessing if somebody is pranking you because they can equate you to the car you drive then your too close to a road for my tastes anyhow.

I could have a giant squatch decal on the hood of my pickup at the trailhead but your never going to find me or catch me if on foot.

Guest zenmonkey

Thanks for sharing your recordings, and your right many people misidentify what they are hearing and a few will go as far as insist its a squatch mimicing a coyote or whatever.

But I also think there are alot of people out there simply whooping and wood knocking each other and not on purpose. Not unlike a heavily hunted area for elk where hunters will call other hunters in each thinking the other is a elk.

The only real defense I have found is to get away from roads and high use trails by a couple of miles

im guessing if somebody is pranking you because they can equate you to the car you drive then your too close to a road for my tastes anyhow.

I could have a giant squatch decal on the hood of my pickup at the trailhead but your never going to find me or catch me if on foot.

awesome thanks for sharing man! hey what recording device are you using and what program???   thanks   Chad

"The only real defense I have found is to get away from roads and high use trails by a couple of miles"

Norseman, I agree completely. Often, I / we do exactly that. This time, however..we tried out a location, also used for fishing and camping. It's doubtful, we'll be going back. Much more to choose from.. out of the way, and less popular.

Zenmonkey, both of these clips came from an overnight recording using a Samson Zoom H2 , as a drop recorder. It was set on 2 channel surround.  The audio editing software program I use, is Adobe Audition. Very little editing done, with just some amplification. Could have done the same thing.. nicely, with Audacity freeware.

Edited by imonacan