Rex

New Member Here... With My Story.

namtrag

I am jealous that you have seen bf so many times when others spend a lifetime with no luck!

It makes you wonder if there is some sort of paranormal aspect to it, doesn't it?

WSA

Rex, I was willing to give that episode less credibility, and I was wondering if you would, but, ya know? Now I'm not so sure. My initial reaction was just that the instructors were jacking you, as they are wont to do, and expected to do. Your Platoon Leader? He saw nada, even no IR? 

(Oh, and Dmaker, above?  In case you missed the snark in his post...he never saw an eyewitness account in which he couldn't substitute his judgment for the narrator's. I'm thinking it is trust issues :-) But, the world is full of people who have logged significantly more time in the boonies than he has)

• Upvote 1

Rex

I am jealous that you have seen bf so many times when others spend a lifetime with no luck!

It makes you wonder if there is some sort of paranormal aspect to it, doesn't it?

Don't be...  I didn't find it fun at times.

I am currently trying to upload this recording to soundcloud and seem to be having difficulty..   I will post a link when it is there.

Rex, I was willing to give that episode less credibility, and I was wondering if you would, but, ya know? Now I'm not so sure. My initial reaction was just that the instructors were jacking you, as they are wont to do, and expected to do. Your Platoon Leader? He saw nada, even no IR? 

i really do not know if he saw anything or not.. he would have been in a position to thats for sure but we never really had the time to discuss it in detail afterwards.

Were were all pretty much scraping our skivvies for the next two days.. some of the guys were flat scared and it showed.

The fact the cadre acted the way they did was a sure indicator to me that they were not responsible.

I considered it.. but they were almost as put off by it as we were.. as a matter of fact.. they made no mention of it and continued on like it didnt happen.

(Oh, and Dmaker, above?  In case you missed the snark in his post...he never saw an eyewitness account in which he couldn't substitute his judgment for the narrator's. I'm thinking it is trust issues :-) But, the world is full of people who have logged significantly more time in the boonies than he has)

Meh..  thats OK... it's his time to do with as he pleases.

Got the recording in.. i just played it in a cheapie radio / cassette i borrowed.  and recorded it with the mic on my puter. It is very tinny and my mic is not that good. but the original recorder was pretty lame as well..

You can hear all the dogs around going haywire. and I noticed my mother had the sense to add a date and time.

It was actually much louder than it sounds on this recording.. i don't know what else to do with it..

here it is.

Edited by Rex

Gotta Know

It sounds like bigfoot really likes you, you should take up habituation as a hobby.

Kind of like how you've taken up being the resident Doubting Thomas as a hobby? Now THAT'S a hobby...

Rex, thanks for your great posts AND your service to our country. I find your accounts very earnest and well presented. You use a lot of military lingo that makes it hard for us non-military types to follow at times, but i certainly get the gist (and can look things up as needed). Haven't figured out "GE" yet though--what's that?

Oh, and I wanted to ask about that night you slept in your tent in with your wife and daughter in the truck nearby. You were locked and loaded, presumably expecting a human encounter and ready to throw down as needed. Yet, when you realized the silhouette was of a BF you don't state what changed in your mind prompting you to sit it out. You obviously were prepared to shoot if you perceived a threat; that leads me to think you did not "feel" a threat, or you were too overcome by fear to move at that point.  Or, you simply did not want to shoot BF, and that would be completely understandable if not commendable!

Thanks again for having the courage to share with all of us. As you have figured out, there are many out here who take sport at trying to poke holes in people's stories, just to make them feel better about themselves, I suppose. I get being skeptical, but coming out to a board of people wanting to positively discuss the phenomena only to poo-poo it seems very sad to me.

Keep those stories coming!

Explorer

Rex,

Thanks much sharing your experiences and taking the time to write them up.

I have no military experience, so many of your terms fly over top of my head.  Also I am not familiar with Fort Bragg and its surroundings.

i related the experience to my 1SG several weeks later.. he laughed and said we had run into the "manchester monster".. i was not so amused.  i left it alone until a few years ago.. there really was no internet then and you really could not research this stuff.

over the years i have come to find out that this was a pretty common occurrence in that area and we were not the only ones who had issues out there.

The cadre knew it as well.

I was curious that your 1SG (first Sergeant?) replied that it was the Manchester Monster. 

This implies that there was a known mythology about that area among the trainers.

Not sure why the unknown creature will hang around next to a military training facility for years on end (and even creating a mythology around it) unless the creature felt safe and got away with it for years.  

You mentioned that all of you used blanks; so maybe there never was a threat to the creature (whatever it was). 

Do the soldiers at Fort Brag ever use live ammunition for training in that forest?  Just curious.

Can you describe the layout of Ft. Bragg and where this forest is in relation where live ammunition is used.

The fact that Manchester Monster mythology existed before your visit, suggests that it is not only you who are making these creatures appear or experience them. 

But, the fact that you have experienced so many of them may suggest that you are a BF magnet.     Who knows!

Thanks again,

Explorer

Rex

Haven't figured out "GE" yet though--what's that?

Sorry.. thats just google earth..  lol

Oh, and I wanted to ask about that night you slept in your tent in with your wife and daughter in the truck nearby. You were locked and loaded, presumably expecting a human encounter and ready to throw down as needed. Yet, when you realized the silhouette was of a BF you don't state what changed in your mind prompting you to sit it out. You obviously were prepared to shoot if you perceived a threat; that leads me to think you did not "feel" a threat, or you were too overcome by fear to move at that point.  Or, you simply did not want to shoot BF, and that would be completely understandable if not commendable!

Nothing really changed my mind... i typically do not shoot anything that doesn't need shooting, unless i am going to eat it.

I was prepared for anything that MIGHT happen..  and would have shot anything I considered a threat.. even in a state park.

It posed no real threat.. had my girls been harassed, my tent messed with etc..  it may have ended differently, for all of us.

One thing i forgot to add in that post.

BOTH of them were periodic at the time..  AND were urinating in the woods behind where we were camped.

But it just circled through the site and left the way it came.

I was curious that your 1SG (first Sergeant?) replied that it was the Manchester Monster. 

This implies that there was a known mythology about that area among the trainers.

Yes,, as i have come to find out there is a history there.

Not sure why the unknown creature will hang around next to a military training facility for years on end (and even creating a mythology around it) unless the creature felt safe and got away with it for years.  

I believe there was a group of them.. not just one. I also believe they have been there for a long time.. maybe a family of some sort and that is their area.

Do the soldiers at Fort Brag ever use live ammunition for training in that forest?  Just curious.

No..  there are specific ranges on other parts of the post that are designated for qualification and live fire, as well as explosives use, missiles and air defense.

those ranges are across post (or were) and they are the only places where live ammo is used. There was a shooting range at mckellers lodge which was several miles to the west but it was just for target practice and such.

Can you describe the layout of Ft. Bragg and where this forest is in relation where live ammunition is used.

Fort Bragg is located just west of Fayetteville, North Carolina.The fort is named for Confederate General Braxton Bragg. It covers over 251 square miles in four counties. Camp Mackall is also a part of it as well which is an additional 70K acres.

image attached. most of the ranges were around where the green areas are.. the yellow highlighted area is close to the area this happened.

post-23181-0-11833100-1371153056_thumb.j

Edited by Rex

AndrewOW

This is all so very fascinating. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. :)

I know you said you haven't really enjoyed the experience, but looking back now, you must feel quite privileged at least?

Rex

Not so sure about that either..

these things don't leave you with a feeling of gum-drops and unicorns defecating skittles.

I have found them to be unnerving.. I really don't know what else to say.

I enjoy being in the expanses.. under the sun or stars enjoying the peace and quiet... these things really put a damper on that now. I am always expecting another not so nice surprise.

I hope that makes some kind of sense.

Airdale

First paragraph following is quote from Explorer, obviously I messed up trying to quote part of a post. Last paragraph is my post in reply. Edit by Airdale.

There is a history of that on some bases. Fort Lewis (now Combined Base Lewis/McChord in Washington. Fort Pickett, Virginia, where the MP's refer to it as the "Pickett Creature" (see BFRO Report 29305). One thought is that hunting is limited or non-existent in those areas.

Edited by Airdale

WSA

We also recently had a thread by a new member who related participating in a patrol w/kill of a BF at Ft. Drum, N.Y.  He even posted a copy of his orders  and post-action report, a copy of his d.l. w/name and d.o.b., etc. redacted.  He was clearly and knowingly  violating his security clearance by doing that. I'm not sure what happened to that thread, and I've searched without finding it. Hmmmm.....

I've read/took a ton of testimony over the years, and I can tell you prevarication is something you can come to know and recognize with a high degree of accuracy. Some here doubt this is a learned skill, and there would be no way to convince them without letting them work in a courtroom for 30 years like I have.  I've come to just recognize they won't ever have that ability, and will scoff at those who present anything that tests their credulity in the least way.  (Probably too they will have a much more peaceful relationship with their wives and husbands because of it ..."Stop cross-examining me!" is often heard around my house. Guilty.)    

Rex

There is a history of that on some bases. Fort Lewis (now Combined Base Lewis/McChord in Washington. Fort Pickett, Virginia, where the MP's refer to it as the "Pickett Creature" (see BFRO Report 29305). One thought is that hunting is limited or non-existent in those areas.

AD..  you hit on a thought so I searched for a map of hunting areas on Ft. Bragg.. attached is a snip.

The green circled area is about the location where that incident would have been.

You may be onto something.

WSA, I spent 90 days TDY on Ft, Drum NY. I was tasked with training 10th mtn Div. soldiers and  then an FTX where we were OPFOR.

Nothing out of the ordinary .. it was fall/winter 88.

I can tell you I hated the place.. the only reprieve from the misery of being tent camped on the snow was a couple of weekends in Kingston Ontario. . .  And canadian beer.

Never heard any thing while i was there from any of the 10th guys about wierdness.

I would not mind seeing the report you are referring to.

Next question.

As lousy as it is, does anyone have any thoughts on the recording.  These were the second type vocalizations. Over the years i have tried to find other animal sounds that it could have been, one recording of a red fox sounded sort of close..  but  it was not continuous like this and was more of a bark.  Also this thing would travel fast when it left and the sound would come from higher up.. you could tell when it was on its feet.  A fox would have had to have been sprinting AND screaming the whole time.. The volume was phenomenal also.. this thing was loud.

GottaKnow...

there are no more stories.. thats it.  i have laid it all out here.

post-23181-0-01482700-1371222171_thumb.j

WSA

On the recording: Well, as you already warned us, the quality is not all that great, which I'm not surprised to have confirmed given the nature of the of the original analog recording, which does not improve in the conversion process. I'm not really able to say what I hear with too much certainty, so I'm reluctant to offer any opinions. I do find the recording to be corroborating evidence of a different kind though as it has every indicator of being contemporaneous to the events you relate. Other than that.....?   

Not so sure about that either..

these things don't leave you with a feeling of gum-drops and unicorns defecating skittles.

I have found them to be unnerving.. I really don't know what else to say.

I enjoy being in the expanses.. under the sun or stars enjoying the peace and quiet... these things really put a damper on that now. I am always expecting another not so nice surprise.

I hope that makes some kind of sense.

That makes perfect sense to me, like I said in my previous post I have heard quite a few things but never saw a BF. I have been chased by cougars, ran across black bear and grizzly, several deer, elk, ect ect (never a moose though dangit).... Not ONE of them ever left me feeling like "something" was wrong or out of sorts. The first time I ever saw "anything" I was about 12, I saw movement that was it, but it was taller than my dads Ford Highboy... That and several other "things" left me with the feeling you described. So yea several not so sure encounters, nothing concrete... but that feeling once in awhile when you're out in the sticks.

Your encounter at Bragg reminds me of another one I had read about, I believe it was report by 3 or 4 MP's on patrol, they saw something moving really fast, scaled not one but two very tall fences like they were a foot high. If I remember correctly it was also at Bragg.

Edited by megacabcummins

Airdale

I noticed in the recording, at 8:04-5, right after one of the shrieks, there is very clear audio of a dog yelping as if in pain, then suddenly stopping. Did anyone else notice this? I agree with WSA that the recording definitely seems to fit the time frame you report.

Rex

That is really the first time I have noticed that.

i don't know what it may have been.. I do however remember by that point in the recording "it" had been moving away and was several hundred yards to the east.

the people who lived that side did have several dogs that just ran loose.. smaller beagle mix types.

Dont know.