New Member Here... With My Story.

Guest Rex

ThePhaige

Rex,

Thanks for posting the history of the experiences you had.

I think some of what you have encountered is very much consistent with mine. Mine were also in Florida a bit farther north than yours were

and have only been in Florida, and were several in number. I have been in Washington State for a lil over a year and have had nothing here, and was

on a deep woods float in Northern Idaho this week and it gladly was uneventful. So I understand the desire to not have these encounters. Mine seemed to

end for me in 2011 and I am very glad for that.

A couple of things really stood out for me regarding your drive by sighting and that was the reflectors on the creature (if I read that right). In one of my encounters

there were also what I thought to be reflectors involved. They were red and I have tried to speculate as to why they used them with me. I was tracking them

(or so I thought) and the funny thing was when I would lose the path I thought they were on, I would then see the red reflectors again as if a game to them,

which in my case I was the one on the losing end generally speaking. I felt taunted and after a time I felt the situation was totally unmanageable on my part. In other

words I had a false sense of control in the situation. Now after these years I thought, those couldn't have been reflectors could they have been? I thought perhaps it was eye shine or some other reflective object that was being utilized, but your post has caused me to think quite a bit.

I too like you and many others have had multiple encounters, and in all seriousness I don't know why. I have theories and that is all I can say.

I wanted to ask you since I did not see you mention it...did any of your encounters include any discernible odors ? Any other sensations that did not

feel consistent with how you thought you should be feeling ?

TP..  during none of this did i ever detect any odors.. no stink, no smell nothing.

I have read about it, heard about it but  with my experiences, Nothing.

i have never smelled anything out of the ordinary.

As far as sensations.. yes.. . an overwhelming urge to get out, leave and fast.

I chase down large iguanas 6 feet plus, vicious monitor lizards,  large snakes, land based shark fish for large sharks, I will tail rope them in the surf, I hog hunt with dogs and live catch them, I have crawled in under palmetto heads with my .45 and shot hogs in their own kitchen and have been known to pull a gator or two out of a mud hole..

I do not scare easily..  in fact normally not at all.  These things have scared me at times.. and they meant to.

I really don't want anything to do with them...

As for the "reflectors".. I believe what i was seeing was eye shine..   I was quite a distance away when I saw it.. but it was obvious and red in the lights of the truck.

Bull sharks are known to exist in fresh water, but these might a whole different kind of shark, or something else entirely!

dmaker

Yes, bull sharks are fascinating. They can spend their whole lives in freshwater it seems. There is evidence of breeding populations that remain in fresh water. Lake Nicaragua has had a resident population of fresh water sharks for ages. In fact they used to call them Lake Nicaragua shark as a species until they realized they were just bull sharks that swam upstream, including jumping waterfalls like salmon do, into the lake.  But in Australia there is a golf course that has become rather famous for it's bull sharks that got trapped in it's water hazard during a flood and now remain and thrive in those small fresh water bodies. 

Funny anecdote: it seems even bull sharks are not immune to TV spread myth. I was mowing my lawn the other day and two young boys walked by and I heard one remark to the other "There are bull sharks in Lake Michigan"  "Really?"  "Yep, I heard it on River Monsters".  Now they never actually said that on River Monsters, but I do think they referenced the common urban myth that bull sharks are reaching Lake Michigan and surviving year round. Neither of those is that likely to happen and certainly not the latter. A small bull shark was found in 1937in a fish net in Alton, Illinois in the Mississippi river, but there is no way they could survive the winter and create a sustainable, breeding population in Lake Michigan. Still, very interesting. 

Edited by dmaker

A bit off topic, but what types of sharks do you tail rope?  ( I'm a shark enthusiast)

Lemons, spinners, blacktips, duskies occasional bulls and hammerheads.

how bout you?

here is a Lemon i made dinner of...  they aint that good..post-23181-0-60879100-1371323810_thumb.j

Edited by Rex

Hey Rex, to comment on your recording, I heard the same sounds comming from up in a tree in our pasture. The tree was out in the open, about 20 feet away from the woods. What happened is, I came home late from work, it was dark, but not that late yet. I saw my wife, her cousin, and a couple friends trying to fix a metal horse corral we had up by the driveway, next to that pasture.

In the corral, was my wife's normally bomb proof quarter horse. It had apperantly panicked, and tried to crash through the rails. When I got out of my car, I could hear the shreiking. It was so loud, that you could hardly hear each other talk when you were standing right next to the person. I just realised today, that sound is probably what spooked the horse so bad. I helped them fix the corral, and asked what is that sound? They replied they didn't know, but it had been going on for hrs. I was surprised that nobody was curious enough to check it out, although the sound was pretty intimidating. I'm sure it could be heard about a mile away. LOL

I said I'm getting a flashlight to check it out, and I grabbed ours, which was big but probably inadequate. Her friend pulled a big light out of the trunk of her car, and as I was approaching the tree, she shined it up in the tree, waving the beam all around.

We couldn't see anything from that distance, and it pissed me off that she ruined it before I could get close enough to see. Whatever it was got scared out of the tree, we heard a loud thump of it hitting the ground, and loud crashes as it tore off through the woods and brush nearby.

I don't think a bear would make those shreiks, or that heavy of a thump. And what ever crashed through the woods was way bigger than a deer. Just thought I'd give you some feed back on the recording.

dmaker

Hey Rex, thanks for the cool pic of the Lemon shark. To answer your question, sadly the only shark that I have been near in the wild was

a nurse shark in Belize. Not too exciting, I know. But I live in Ontario, Canada, quite a long way from any salt water, so as much as I love sharks, I don't often have an opportunity to see them in the wild.

Hey Rex, thanks for the cool pic of the Lemon shark. To answer your question, sadly the only shark that I have been near in the wild was

a nurse shark in Belize. Not too exciting, I know. But I live in Ontario, Canada, quite a long way from any salt water, so as much as I love sharks, I don't often have an opportunity to see them in the wild.

I snorkel and dive here all the time.. nurse sharks are all over. I grabbed one by the dorsal one day and let it drag me along for several hundred yards until it got irritated and bolted.. couldn't hold on to it anymore..LOL

I see quite a few sharks diving... mostly going the other way, I have had more run ins with cudas spearfishing than sharks.

All of my beach sharking is catch and release now. i have tried several sharks and they are not very good eating...

neither are these... and no one i know makes "scallops" out of them either.

post-23181-0-21440200-1371348580_thumb.j

I don't think a bear would make those shreiks, or that heavy of a thump. And what ever crashed through the woods was way bigger than a deer. Just thought I'd give you some feed back on the recording.

Interesting.. as i said.. it was very loud. the recording is crap and over 30 years old.

I never heard it coming from the trees..only the ground and like I stated before.. it was close enough that you knew when it was standing..

I don't believe i attached these noises to something they didnt belong to.. your post is a bit of confirmation of that.

Airdale

After jaws came out I read everything I could find on sharks for a year or so. I recall that special preparations were necessary to make them edible as they don't have kidneys and their urea is cycled out through the gills and skin. No personal experience with the critters other than a few small ones when swimming in the ocean a few times while on detached duty in the Philippines for a few months in late '72 early '73. Montana is evidently shark free for the present! LOL.

I recall that special preparations were necessary to make them edible as they don't have kidneys and their urea is cycled out through the gills and skin.

i have tried it all.. at least all that I have been told from untold numbers of "experts" in this... I have found nothing that removes that ammonia stink from the meat.

Guest SquatchinNY

Dude, you have some really cool stories. Especially the OPS report. I have heard several like that, where pro army men are stalked during a training exercise. I believe there was a recent thread in Gen discussion about that. I'll see if I can find it later.

:)

Thought of this thread over the weekend Rex...bagged a nice copperhead in the back yard. I've hiked a lot of backcountry in my 54 years, and seen countless snakes, but I'm proud to be able to say I've killed not a one of them, or ever felt threatened. Here in the South folks  view that statement with genuine puzzlement, which is a shame. My children play all the time in woods crawling with them, as did I, but I figure education and a suitable appreciation of the danger are the keys. We had a nice lesson on identification and humane capture.  I transferred it to a more remote, non-residential area. And yes, I checked, it didn't smell like cucumbers... or anything else for that matter!

"...bagged a nice copperhead in the back yard"

The only good copperhead (and water moccasin) is a dead copperhead.  I hate those things!

NCBRR