The Researchers Habituation And Field Observations Thread "a Place To Discuss Your Activities, Thoughts, Observations, Methods And Results.

NathanFooter

Excellent thread Nathan! Will be following this close. I'm eye to eye with you on your approach to research. Respect is the name of the game. Will be following your blog also. Please feel free to read about my research in the East Tennessee Smoky Mountains...

Yep, it is a good thread idea and justified IMO!  But, alas I spent my sharing capital in the Habituating BF thread in General Discussions, in that I don't really want to repeat that, on the other hand there are certain events/media  that might be relevant within the discussions here and subject to a more methodical problem solving approach...how to improve our collective effort...  we redo and redo past efforts...b/c we are unaware of them, or don't buy into the conclusions, or method...etc..or just want to do for ourselves.  

So, for me..the question of...IR is settled...IMO they can detect near IR wavelengths.

Also, the question of intelligence, falls more clearly on the side of...human, than I would have predicted based on popular CW...although, that CW is out there...just depends on what your inclination is to read initially..

Habituation with baiting has ethical issues.... and so I really don't know what to suggest there..in contrast to homeowners who are just trying to cope....and...if one allows BF intelligence of an order along human, it might be patriarchal to say baiting is bad...the whole anti-anthropomorphic bias falls away ...and baiting might be considered sharing....depends on intent I guess in that situation!

Telepathy is now an open issue for me, and was not even on the table for the first three years...that also in Habituating thread...so. either way..telepathic or just extra observant...intent seems paramount to success beyond the typical so many have...tracks, etc.  .Or, conversely, disguising intent successfully?

And, along those lines...what is the intent?  What can one reasonably expect to arise from their efforts?  What is in it for BFs?   What is your motivation and how to execute to that... really  ?

Tough issues and one reason I  don't walk away even with the proof issues, and BFdom circus, ...so much remains unanswered (even among researchers who claim intimate knowledge/friendship)...after so many efforts, for so long...  whether habituation or not...

Edited by apehuman

From everything I have experienced , it is very true they seem to pick up on your intentions but then again that is not all that surprising when you think about what humans do.

When one decides to go hunting or scouting { sneaking around } we wear camo and take a very predatory stance, so when they see a guy walk into the woods really quietly and he hides a trail cam in the environment it is not that crazy to think they may know that we are trying to trick or ambush them. 

What would you think if a somebody in black { approaching at night lets say } that you witnessed sneak into your yard and hide some strange unkown object in your garden near your door ?

I would assume that that person has it out for me in some way.

Certainly.  

Assume they at least perceive in such a defensive manner as you would.  

They do a much better job of it than most any human though, and anticipate in ways that are remarkable.

Whether or not telepathy plays a role, as a credible explanation, depends a great deal on whether one believes telepathy is even a reality for any being.  It isn't something that can be sufficiently demonstrated to rise to scientific acceptance, and the experience of it is not sufficient to rely on for the truth of the matter necessarily.

Hedging one's bets (variables) in approach with so many stories claiming such wouldn't be considered bad form to me, and almost called for after a certain amount of either research or personal experience. ...(gee, the taboo of Bigfoot is enough for any query to be bad form anyway , isn't it?). 

Don't worry about proving it, or persuading, but if it's there..try and use it..if nada...oh well., another data point...maybe...hahha...I don't think I am telepathic...which is why this issue is finally on the table for me...but, really difficult to design a way to answer....  

looking forward to more from you Nathan, sounds like an active site.

Edited by apehuman

• 1 month later...

We like to leave gifts behind like food or polished stones and such.

Nathan,

I am wondering if you have noticed them taking the polished stones?

I'd have another suggestion:

Leave sticks or stones set up in patterns or formations. Take pictures:

Next time in the area, look for very subtle changes. I had read of instances where they had 'corrected' stick signs that had been left by humans. This person would also change stick signs that she found, and noticed they also corrected these.

(To give credit: this thought was inspired by "Backyard Bigfoot" by Lisa Shiel)

We placed 1 stone out and it was not taken or messed with so we brought it back home, we will be trying some new ideas using stones and such when we find a good spot to leave them this spring upon returning to the site.  The idea was a bit premature at this site and we need a better location to leave them so humans will not happen upon them.  

Still working on getting some stuff out, I have been hung up due to tech issues but things are working out slowly.

What would you think if a somebody in black { approaching at night lets say } that you witnessed sneak into your yard and hide some strange unkown object in your garden near your door ?

.50 cal, but that's just reflexive....

Edited by Trogluddite

Branco. WesT & bipedalist, I am raising my class of soft drink in agreement with your statements.  Nostrovia (Sp?)/cheers/etc,

Nathan, Chris Noel told me via e-mail where another person in Florida told him that BF eyeshine color is related to mood.  Amber or green and they are okay with what you're doing.  Red, means they are unhappy with what you're doing.  I don't know if this is true, but my experience has been in line with this hypothesis.  For this reason, I'd recommend not using red lights unless you're worried about saving your night vision. 

• 4 months later...

I will be updating this fairly soon if I can get through a few more hours of audio, been really busy with assembling notes and such.

Guest lightheart

Nathan this is a good place to hypothesize, look for patterns, brainstorm, compare notes. I appreciate this thread. 

Here's one of my plans I've been thinking about for this summer. I'm going to go back to the last place I had possible bigfoot activity (power knocks and calls). This spot has a history of bigfoot activity, a water source, big timber, and plenty of food. Its elevation is around 4000ft, so it will be at least July or August for the huckleberries to ripen. Then I'll wait for clear/mostly clear and calm weather to go. On clear, calm, no moon nights I'll focus more on hearing calls. On clear, moonlit nights I'll focus more on possible camp visitations. Either way I'll still have my FLIR, parabolic mic and recorder set up at night only.

My plan is when I arrive at the camp site. I'll get out and walk around the camp site, lake, road, and trails looking and listening to see what is and what was around. When I get back to the camp site I'll change my clothes to camo or earthtone colors. Then I'll clean up the camp site if it needs it and then work on getting a curiosity bait. When I'm at the camp site I'll do a short single tone whistle around every 30 minutes or so and write in my field notes/journal ever so often. I won't have a campfire and I don't put food bait out. IMO the bigfoots don't need our food and are better without it.

Around dusk I'll set up the FLIR, parabolic mic, and recorder in a blind or tent and face them towards the area I heard the power knocks come from. Hopefully by now I'll have my curiosity bait and I'll set it up 6ft on a tree about 20 yards or less away in front of the FLIR. I'll put a trail camera on the opposite side of camp where I don't want a bigfoot to approach. Then I'll do one last check of the equipment to make sure everything is working well and in place. Before I crawl in the back of my truck, I'll do three tree knocks, wait then do one single tree knock only loud enough for something around 100 yards or less to hear it. Then I'll listen for about 10 minutes for a return knock or footfalls, hopefully coming my direction. If I hear something or not, I'll get in the back of my truck and get out of sight and have the canopy windows open so I can listen until I fall asleep.

In the morning I'll turn off all the equipment and check everything out. If I get anything good I'll adjust my plans accordingly. If I don't get anything it's no big deal. Then I'll repeat everything for the duration of my stay.

Now I just have to wait several more months to try this plan out at this location.

• Upvote 2

Great strategy and game plan CMBigfoot, sharing information gathered in the field can help find patterns and common factors.   I look forward to hearing about your results.  :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully by now I'll have my curiosity bait...

Well, I for one, am curious about your curiosity bait. Seriously!

The first campout of the season is coming up in a bit over a week and I'm excited. Will be a small group in a great riverside spot on a weeknight. We will have fun all day, grill some dinner, make music, and retire early. Will do audio recording. I agree that leaving food of any kind around is a bad idea for many reasons, so I'm trying to think of non-food attractants. I have a few ideas and will appreciate any of anyone else's.

Edited by JKH