The Researchers Habituation And Field Observations Thread "a Place To Discuss Your Activities, Thoughts, Observations, Methods And Results.

NathanFooter

Wow - thanks for sharing.

Good luck on your expedition - I think I'd be most careful of giving them space.

Let us know how it goes!

Here's a link to a NatGeo article - describes giant human remains in Africa named Goliath:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/national-geographic-channel-takes-you-on-the-ultimate-detective-story-in-the-search-for-the-ultimate-survivor-54024212.html

search on "Goliath"

I recall seeing this on their cable channel some years ago.  I am not an anthropologist - just sharing.

BFF Patron

There is a resistance in science to even address giant humans. Skeletal finds have pretty much been ignored. I think some scientists are uncomfortable with that because of the mention of giants in religious texts. The Sumerian texts mention giants also. As a group, scientists tend to be agnostic or atheist and anything that supports religious beliefs might make them uncomfortable.

Hello everyone, well Friday night was uneventful do to my laziness. I couldn't keep my eyes open past 10pm so I retired shortly after and oddly enough slept without waking until 4am.

Coffee time !!

I spent Saturday walking the bottoms like normal and found little hints of things, but nothing to write home about. Found a couple strange rock formations in the middle of no where that I can't ever remember seeing before, thats it.

Saturday night around 11:45pm things picked up a bit. The familiar whistling was present aswel as what sounded like a woman screaming in the far distance.

Owl's can make a similar sound, but no "hooting" was accompanied with the screaming sounds.

Had me alittle on gaurd I must admit.

They sounded somewhat muffled but yet very powerful if that makes sense.

Didn't experience the usual stick throwing that normally follows the whistling, but the whistling wasn't as prevalent as other times i noticed.

The screaming sounds lasted most of the night, into the early morning (off and on) and seemed to move in a very wide circle around me. Estimated distance from camp would be 100yrds, at times

Slightly closer.

I'm more stumped by those odd rock formations in the middle of the bottoms....ring any bells with any of you ? Thanks :-/

BFF Patron

Got any pictures of the rock formations? I find them all the time in my research area. Have no direct evidence they are made by BF but the remote locations I find them suggest that.

No,sorry didn't take pics, but i go every weekend so I'll snap a few pics of the rock formations.

They are approximately 24" in diameter at base then cone up like a upside down hornets nest.

Approximately same height as its base width, 24" tall.

Reminds me alot of the old dutch ovens the settlers used to build along the prairie trails, but there is no openings for fire building, cooking etc..

Its all large river stone so however they got there it was a 100yrd trip back and forth to the river.

I'll be posting alot of my photos once I get past this probation period here on the site. I'll set up my avatar and photos etc. Thanks.

Hello everyone, well Friday night was uneventful do to my laziness. I couldn't keep my eyes open past 10pm so I retired shortly after and oddly enough slept without waking until 4am.

Coffee time !!

I spent Saturday walking the bottoms like normal and found little hints of things, but nothing to write home about. Found a couple strange rock formations in the middle of no where that I can't ever remember seeing before, thats it.

Saturday night around 11:45pm things picked up a bit. The familiar whistling was present aswel as what sounded like a woman screaming in the far distance.

Owl's can make a similar sound, but no "hooting" was accompanied with the screaming sounds.

Had me alittle on gaurd I must admit.

They sounded somewhat muffled but yet very powerful if that makes sense.

Didn't experience the usual stick throwing that normally follows the whistling, but the whistling wasn't as prevalent as other times i noticed.

The screaming sounds lasted most of the night, into the early morning (off and on) and seemed to move in a very wide circle around me. Estimated distance from camp would be 100yrds, at times

Slightly closer.

I'm more stumped by those odd rock formations in the middle of the bottoms....ring any bells with any of you ? Thanks :-/

Sounds like you may have a juvie owl...(great horned or barn) that's doing a bit of screaming by/around you.  Also, owls whistle as well - just as an FYI.

Cotter, yes very well could of been owl's screeching/screaming, but as I mentioned usually owl's will start off by hooting then incorporate that distinct screech/scream that is so recognizable.

This was just a muffled scream that actually started out as low scream then progressed into a full scream.

I'm leaving this morning after this heavy fog lifts, its horrible ! Thinking about taking my dog along, what thoughts do you have on that ?

Thanks !

I realize you've already taken your trip, but I just wanted to say I think dogs are problematic. If the individuals you're around like dogs, you might end up with a dog with divided loyalties who disappears on you for extended periods; and if the individuals you're around do not like dogs, you could end up with an injured dog. 

Depends on the dog, too, though. If the dog is aggressive, I wouldn't bring him (or her). There's greater danger for both BF and dog, if the dog is aggressive. If the dog is generally good natured, he's less likely to ruffle feathers (so to speak), and therefore less likely to get hurt.  

If you did take your dog, how did it go?

And if you don't think you heard an owl, I don't think you did, either.  :)

Hello to all....LeafTalker, no I didn't take my dogs. They are both pitbulls, but they are over grown lap dogs. Not aggressive unless someone approaches our children.

I'm a very open minded person and I'm still not fully convinced that bigfoot exists, but I have to agree with what LeafTalker was eluding to about the possible "owl screams".

I heard it again both nights and no way was that from an owl ! These were full out screams. Very intense this time out and very deliberate.

At one point the screaming was so loud and close my eardrums actually were vibrating !

I even yelled "shut up !" to which it did stop, but started back up again minutes later, but not as intense.

I also noticed heavy "ground thumping" if that makes sense. If you were to take a flat board and smack it on the ground. That is a new one for me.

Never heard that sound effect before while out there.

As i said my fear tolerance is fairly high, but the last two times out ive been a little unnerved lol.

For no apparent reason a strange feeling of fear comes over me ??

One of the rock formations has fallen over, but nothing looks fishy about it. Something has been walking all around me at night because the fallen leaves are all spread about like something was circling me, but no tracks anywhere.

Pretty much it :-/.....Thanks !

Awesome report, Nightwatcher! You're getting a good variety of BF sounds and behaviors. Most of us are lucky to have one or two things happen, or to hear even one sound we can point to as out of the ordinary. 

And you DO have a high threshold, if the screaming was so loud your eardrums were vibrating! 

I think it's funny that you yelled "shut up", and very significant that you got a response that revealed they understood what you said. They're smart, they are.... Next time, you might try experimenting with a friendlier, more conciliatory tone, and see what happens then. Might mean you hear less of the ear-vibrating kind of sound. 

It's tough, figuring out when you've crossed the line from interested visitor to nuisance in their minds. If the display behaviors start to escalate, you may need to start bringing some apples with you when you go out, to leave as a goodwill offering. (I would do that even if they don't seem upset.) Or again, talk a lot more, and express that you want to be there, but not at the expense of their comfort. Those things are very much appreciated. A kind word turneth away wrath, etc. 

Your dogs sound great. They would probably be fine out there, but I think it's good you didn't take them. 

Hello again ! Well, i only was able to spend Sat night in the bottoms, BRRRRR ! Anyway, i took a peace offering of apples, bananas and 75% dark chocolate bar.

I put the items in a wicker basket and tied 50lb fishing line to the handle. I then climbed the arched over tree (glad nobody seen that) lol.
The basket was suspended approximately 10ft from the ground and about the same distance from the main trunk of the tree. Again the tree was a massive arch if that makes sense.

I must say the night was uneventful in all aspects. Almost no identifiable sounds, smells etc...
I feel asleep, I'm guessing around 2:30-3am.
Last time I remember checking my cell for time.

I woke to turkey gobbling just yards from me at 6:20am. Walked the 100ft or so where id hung the basket and it looked untouched until I cut the fishing line and to my surprise there was only one apple left lol.

Im figuring **** or opossum ?? That 50lb line will actually hold alot of weight. I can't explain how they would of been able to shimmy down that thin line ? Possibly jumped into the basket from the arch above spilling out the contents ?

At any rate, very strange. I looked most of the morning for banana peels or the chocolate bar wrapper, but found nothing. Thinking of putting some kind of noisy toy in the basket next time like a bell or some kind of whistle so if it is a bigfoot maybe i will be able to hear it playing with the toy ?

Any other tips would be put to use so chime in :)
Thanks!

BFF Patron

Night watcher. The ground thumping you are hearing I ascribe to their footsteps when they move. The large BF are so heavy they make thuds that can be felt through your feet if you are very close. Others have mentioned that here too. A running buffalo makes the same sort of noise but since they are Quadra pedal it sounds more like a galloping horse.

Wow, Nightwatcher! That is verrrry cool, that almost all the food you left was taken! I guess it could've been an opossum or raccoon that took the food, but I would bet BF. It's pretty typical for BF to take some, but not all, of an offering. They are not greedy and believe in sharing. I don't think many other beings worry too much about sharing with the person who leaves the offering. Plus, they've been watching you all along, as evidenced by the strange noises you've been hearing out there, etc.; so it's an almost 100% certainty they were watching you as you hung the basket and investigated it right away.  

What's really cool is that they took what you left immediately. Sometimes it takes a while for them to feel comfortable taking anything at all. They must have a good feeling about you. That would be my guess, anyway. 

A noisy toy is a good idea. OHZoologist left them a flute of some kind (a recorder, I think he said it was) and heard a few toots on it in the middle of the night. Here's a link to one of his posts about the flute: http://bigfootforums.com/index.php/topic/41983-habituating-bigfoot-continued/page-3#entry775183

SWWASP, someday I hope you'll tell us more about the experience you alluded to recently in another thread (forget which one), when you took a picture and something strange happened. Would be fun to hear about that (although I certainly understand your hesitation about talking about it more).  

Edited by LeafTalker

I had another thought about the types of treats or objects that I can leave. How about something that would take more of a human characteristics to open ?

Like a jar of peanut butter, can of soda or even a can of sardines ? Something that takes coordination to open.

Items such as fruit, veggies, meat etc...are to easy for any animal to take and devour without a trace, but the other items I mentioned takes some thought process to gain access to the goodies.

Any thoughts on this theory or am I a day late on this idea too lol ?

Thanks.