The Researchers Habituation And Field Observations Thread "a Place To Discuss Your Activities, Thoughts, Observations, Methods And Results.

NathanFooter

BFF Patron

Peanut butter in the jar basically takes a thumb to open without destroying the jar. I would try that if the local BF like it. However there are reported instances where the jar lid is punctured with a rock or other tool and the contents dipped out with a stick. If the jar is bitten, smashed, or otherwise destroyed then it is most likely a bear or other animal that does not have a thumb or use tools.

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

Saturday night around 11:45pm things picked up a bit. The familiar whistling was present aswel as what sounded like a woman screaming in the far distance.

Owl's can make a similar sound, but no "hooting" was accompanied with the screaming sounds.

Had me alittle on gaurd I must admit.

They sounded somewhat muffled but yet very powerful if that makes sense.

A couple of weeks ago I was awakened in the middle of the night by what I first thought was a dog bark. The 2nd bark brought me up and out onto the front porch. At that point, it began to sound like a loud deer snort, then a mixture of both. They were coming 5-10 seconds apart, it seemed. It was getting closer with each snort/bark, until I heard the leaves rustling, and thought "this thing is gonna come up on the porch with me!". It also had gotten so loud, I KNEW I would at least be able to see it when it went under the security light. But, no. The next sound was similar to a woman's scream, from a good distance on down the road. The sound was so loud when it was in front of me, I had NEVER heard an animal sound like this, and began to think it had an almost mechanical sound to it, so yes, the "powerful" note makes sense to me. I sat up on the couch for an hour wondering what it could have been. The next day I decided to research some hunches and found this:

The "alarm" sound fit some of what I heard, only mine were MUCH, MUCH louder.

I heard them again the next morning, only softer.

Strange thing is, my husband heard them for the first time right after this in his treestand, bowhunting.

Odd, considering we had both spent decades being in the woods.

I just thought one of these might sound more like your "screams", than that of the owls.

Wouldn't account for the other happenings, though. ;)

--Foxfire

I believe that although they manifest in our world, they can be invisible, and they know exactly what

you are thinking.  I can't explain it, but they are way smarter than us, in my humble opinion.

Awesome experience, Foxfire! I've heard that, too -- familiar animal sounds kinda mashed up together in creative combinations. But not as close by as your sounds were! Good job, keeping your composure. And you seem to have a good sense of humor about all this, which is awesome. 

Peanut butter in the jar basically takes a thumb to open without destroying the jar. I would try that if the local BF like it. However there are reported instances where the jar lid is punctured with a rock or other tool and the contents dipped out with a stick. 

Yeah, I've noticed strange things like that, too. Although they're supposed to be (and are) as dexterous as we are -- and as smart -- sometimes they don't quite understand what's required to open a jar or container and can hurt themselves trying to get at the contents. So I'm not a fan of leaving them things in containers that are hard to open.

But Nightwatcher, your basket was a great idea. I'd stick with that. And you're not a "day late" with anything! Seems like you're right on time, to me.   :)

Edited by LeafTalker

frap10...That GPS idea is awesome ! I actually have one that I no longer use for my dogs.

It can be taken off the collar and is about the size of a half dollar. Good to about 1.5miles

Foxfire...Your similar encounter with the screams are amazing ! I listened to the vid link you posted and it wasn't anything like what i heard, but thank you for sharing that.

norseman...I listened to your vid too and sorry to say that wasn't close either, but thank you for posting that. I really appreciate any help given.

The scream I heard was so close to a woman's it kind of frightened me to be honest. It reminded me of being kids and chasing my kid sister around with a bull snake or a big corn spider lol.

Its great hearing all this input ! Thanks;))

BFF Patron

Nightwatcher wanted to conduct an experiment that defined what was getting into the basket. Opening a jar eliminates a lot of animals who have to destroy the jar to get into the contents or cannot get to into it because of the screw lid. Sure we can always put out stuff that is easy to get to but what do you learn from that since most anything that can access the location will just eat it? I wonder in some cases if the humans in habituations situations are being manipulated by the BF involved. I hear it all the time. Comments are: "I don't want to offend them". "I don't want to hide cameras". "I don't want to conduct experiments". If the goal is to learn about BF, where does that reluctance come from?

In my own case when I was zapped during an encounter, my whole purpose for being in the field that day was to have contact with BF. But after I was zapped, I felt driven to leave the area immediately. Why? I was not any more afraid than I had been other times. Why would I feel driven to leave when my whole purpose for being there was to have contact? I left the area, thought about it, and realized that what I just did was not logical, so I turned around and went back. Of course when I did, nothing seemed to be there any more. I felt like I had been manipulated.

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

Randy -

You are exactly on the mark so far as I can tell.   I believe we're being habituated, not the other way around.  People "wanting an experience" adjust their behavior to produce that experience.  It's response conditioning.   Whether it is deliberate on the BF's part or inflicted on us by ourselves is harder to tell.

MIB

Nightwatcher wanted to conduct an experiment that defined what was getting into the basket. Opening a jar eliminates a lot of animals who have to destroy the jar to get into the contents or cannot get to into it because of the screw lid. Sure we can always put out stuff that is easy to get to but what do you learn from that since most anything that can access the location will just eat it? I wonder in some cases if the humans in habituations situations are being manipulated by the BF involved. I hear it all the time. Comments are: "I don't want to offend them". "I don't want to hide cameras". "I don't want to conduct experiments". If the goal is to learn about BF, where does that reluctance come from?

Why do you think the goal is to "learn about" BF? For me, and for many people who have ongoing experiences with BF, the goal is to be in relationship with BF. It is to learn about an individual BF person, not "the" BF -- as if there's some cardboard cutout BF character running around who represents all BF.

And you cannot be in a relationship with someone if you are disrespectful to them. 

If someone approached you and said, "I really like you and want to be your friend," and then turned around and started taking pictures of you surreptitiously and trying to publish them somewhere to promote themselves, without your knowledge or approval, and trying to gather "evidence" about you, what would you conclude about that person? You would think he was a traitorous wretch, and you'd drop him like a hot potato. 

That's what BF people do to us. They drop us like hot potatoes when we act disrespectfully -- although they are a little nicer and a little more forgiving than we are. They sometimes take you back, even if you've had a run of thinking you needed to take pictures of them and scrape hairs and flesh off them. But who wants to take the chance that their particular buddy is that forgiving???? 

Now do you understand the reluctance? The reluctance is a reluctance to destroy any chances of furthering the relationship. 

Who would be foolish enough to jeopardize an ongoing -- and ever-growing -- intimacy and connection for one picture? Or one anything?

You can learn about BF behavior and habits without being disrespectful. It just takes a little patience. Of course you'll figure out who's taking your stuff -- over time. But you need to give it that time -- IF you want your "subject" to stick around.  

And if you're really worried about being able to tell the difference between a BF and a squirrel, just do what OHZoologist did: build a platform supported by a greased pole in a clearing and then conduct the same experiments he did. Voila! No more having to make them cut their hands off trying to get at your peanut butter. (And continue to read about the platform in that thread. It was really interesting, what happened, and what OHZ concluded, after giving his experiment some, um, time.)

I'm sorry, SWWASP. The same way you get impatient with "humans in habituation situations", I get impatient with "scientists". 

SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT: In my own case when I was zapped during an encounter, my whole purpose for being in the field that day was to have contact with BF. But after I was zapped, I felt driven to leave the area immediately. Why? I was not any more afraid than I had been other times. Why would I feel driven to leave when my whole purpose for being there was to have contact? I left the area, thought about it, and realized that what I just did was not logical, so I turned around and went back. Of course when I did, nothing seemed to be there any more. I felt like I had been manipulated.

Why do you think it's okay to have contact with someone at the expense of their comfort? Contact is a two-way thing. Both parties should be receptive to it. If one isn't, for whatever reason, the other party needs to respect that and leave. The zapping seems like a pretty clear signal they were not pleased with you being in that spot at that moment. You did the right thing that day. And I don't see the manipulation you're speaking of. Seems like a very clear statement of preference you were getting that day. Nothing indirect about it!

You don't lose anything by appearing to be willing to let them set the agenda. In fact, it's the total opposite. You prove your worthiness to be a true friend by so doing. You gain, you don't lose, by showing respect at all times. 

• Upvote 1

frap10...That GPS idea is awesome ! I actually have one that I no longer use for my dogs.

It can be taken off the collar and is about the size of a half dollar. Good to about 1.5miles

Foxfire...Your similar encounter with the screams are amazing ! I listened to the vid link you posted and it wasn't anything like what i heard, but thank you for sharing that.

norseman...I listened to your vid too and sorry to say that wasn't close either, but thank you for posting that. I really appreciate any help given.

The scream I heard was so close to a woman's it kind of frightened me to be honest. It reminded me of being kids and chasing my kid sister around with a bull snake or a big corn spider lol.

Its great hearing all this input ! Thanks;))

I know my video didn't play that sound for you, but cougar screams are described exactly like a woman screaming. 

This one is far off, but I think better fitting to what your describing.

I believe that although they manifest in our world, they can be invisible, and they know exactly what

you are thinking.  I can't explain it, but they are way smarter than us, in my humble opinion.

Wow, SweetPolly! I somehow missed seeing your post when it first appeared, but just wanted to say I couldn't agree with you more. And I can't explain it, either. But knowing and being able to explain are two different things.

Rock on!

• Upvote 1

norseman; thank you for that big cat vid and yes, that is a lot closer than the others. We have had cougars in Iowa, but very rare and none reported in this area as far as I know.

I had an " Anonymous" person send me a vid of a peacock screeching/screaming and it was almost spot on ! There is no peacocks in the bottoms i can almost guarantee that.

Thanks again !

bobcats make some very weird sounds as well. Anyone going into the woods to research should listen to as many animal sound files as they can get their hands on. Most animals have general sounds they make but most animals have very odd sounds they only make on rare occasion as in mating fighting over territory etc.. Check out the sounds made by foxes, they can make some pretty creepy calls on rare occasion.