The Researchers Habituation And Field Observations Thread "a Place To Discuss Your Activities, Thoughts, Observations, Methods And Results.

NathanFooter

Plussed LeafT, staying in a smallish area can be rewarding for the patient. Your reports are very interesting, perhaps consider using more non-food items in your experiments. No clue on the food in the tree, but it suggests storage to me, not necessarily for you, though. I hate to bring bad news, but if you and your neighbor don't want special attention, notifying authorities and posting cellphone pics online are not good ideas. Best of luck, NW.

Thanks, JKH. It's funny, but I don't really consider myself to be experimenting anymore. I just talk to the hairy guys and hang out with them. I bring them food because they requested a particular food item once, so now it's just a thing I do. They almost always give me a sign that they're present, so I know it's they who are getting the food, and nobody else. 

That's a good point, about cellphone pictures. I wouldn't risk it, myself, because I don't know how to remove metadata.  :)

Thanks, JKH. It's funny, but I don't really consider myself to be experimenting anymore. I just talk to the hairy guys and hang out with them. I bring them food because they requested a particular food item once, so now it's just a thing I do. They almost always give me a sign that they're present, so I know it's they who are getting the food, and nobody else. 

That's a good point, about cellphone pictures. I wouldn't risk it, myself, because I don't know how to remove metadata.   :)

Leaf, I'm sorry my message was unclear. I was addressing NW with my advice, which may or may not be helpful to them. Just being a mom, I guess. No worries, I'm sure you know what you're doing!

Does anyone have a opinion on this "bend tree" theory ? Obviously some just grow in an arc, some ive seen look to of been purposely bend and a heavy object placed on the end to hold it down.

I read that Indians would do this to mark a trail or point the way to water. The ones ive seen all point in the same direction which is southwest and is in the direction of the river.

The rock formations that i spoke of when i first joined this forum were also in that direction, oddly enough the formations are gone ! I mean not a single rock or any evidence of them ever being there. Wow, so much to learn !

Thanks.

Guest Divergent1

I bring them food because they requested a particular food item once, so now it's just a thing I do. They almost always give me a sign that they're present, so I know it's they who are getting the food, and nobody else. 

I was serious about what kind of food item they liked, was it something they couldn't easily get in the wild?

Thanks for that clarification, JKH, and sorry I got that muddled up. 

Nightwalker, that's cool, that you're seeing so much 'sign'.... I really love the tree bends, too, and the little shock you feel when things are rearranged or missing altogether. I don't have any theories about the tree bends, but the water thing is a possibility, for sure. I think there's a thread going right now, in the General section, about stick formations and tree stuff. What I really wanted to say, though, is that I think you're pretty caught up with the state of the art about now.... You're the expert now, as much as anyone else, and we'll be learning from YOU, hearing about your adventures. 

Divergent, I can't answer your question directly, for several reasons, but I think I can address your larger question, if we back up a bit.... The hairy guys have been connecting to us for a long time, including during times when there wasn't much difference between the way they lived and the way we lived. First Nation peoples have been exchanging things (and food) with them for a long time, and it isn't always about providing stuff that the other one doesn't have. BF eat a lot of what we eat. Did you see the recent video the Browns made, about the people who helped heal a BF's broken leg, and got all kinds of game as a 'thank you' on a regular basis for quite a while afterward? The people who helped the BF could've caught their own turkeys and deer and whatever, which the BF clearly understood. But that wasn't the point of the gifts. The point was to communicate something -- and to me, it seems pretty clear it was gratitude the BF were expressing.  

So I'm just saying there's a shared consciousness, a shared awareness that food is a sign of friendship and connection. It doesn't matter whether the party getting the food really likes the food or not, or has ready or limited access to it. Not at first, anyway. As you get to know each other, you might get to understand better what an individual's tastes are, and then the gifts can become even more meaningful... But nobody will mind if you give them an apple they could pick themselves off a tree somewhere. Here, as in most places, it's truly the thought that counts. 

• Upvote 3

• 2 months later...

For next year I'm going to make a few minor adjustments to my plan in post #43.

1) Instead of waiting on the huckleberries in August. I'm going to go in June/July when the water level is high and reaches the edge of the forest. And the waterfowl and their young are hiding in the brush.

2) Instead of aiming my FLIR in the direction of the power knocks I've heard before. I'm going to aim it at the meadow where I saw a bigfoot this past summer and use a different curiosity bait.

3) I'm not going to do any knocks, whistles, or calls. Just be quiet and watch the forest/waters edge during the day.

4) Keep my camera fully charged and with me from the time I wake up to the time I fall asleep.

5) If I see a bigfoot again I will not chase after it, especially at dusk. I will stay at my camp site and out of sight.

Well, I can scratch this plan off. Since there has been no to very low snowpack and rainfall this year around here. The water level at this lake is very low. No where near the edge of the forest. So I'm going to have to come up with another idea and area.

I think since the vegetation got green earlier this year at low elevations, the BF were probably at lower elevations earlier as well. So then they will be making their way up in elevation earlier too, following the green vegetation & wildlife. Also as dry as it is and probably will be this summer, I think finding a good water source and staying near it will be a plus.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again to all! I have a dilemma I need advice on. I have a creepy feel the persons in question may even monitor this site but I'll chance it.

I was approached back in March (this year) by two gentlemen asking me if i would be interested in aiding them in a "capture mission" and they would even be money involved if a Bigfoot was captured or filmed.

They went on to say they have very influential friends with a well known research group in the NW United States. I'm very puzzled on how they found me and concerned where they found me.

No way i would ever participate in anything like that but I'm worried i will lead them to my "area" unknowingly.

Any suggestions?? Thanks.

Did they give you their names? Or the name of the so called group in the NW that they are affiliated with? That is kind of creepy. I think I would ask them directly how they came to think it was ok to approach you with that kind of proposition. Did they just walk up to you out of the blue? No prior discussion of BF?

I was at a local sporting goods store and i was headed for check out and the gentleman said "sir, can i please ask you a question". They were both dressed almost military like.

They didn't say what group they are with nor did i ask. I probably sound of grilled them good! The one who did the talking gave me a local cell number but i noticed the SUV they let in had Washington state plates.

My guess it's a disposable phone? I kinda know the store owner and asked if he knew anything about the men and he said they have been in and out of the store for about 4 days. And has approached others too.

Said they have only bought propane tanks for stove/lantern's and bug spray. Maybe I'll reverse it and start asking them questions ;)

I think I would do just that. Sounds kind MIBish, huh?  Just odd that they would hang out in the store approaching random people...

BFF Patron

Nightwatcher the way you describe it, it seems like their hanging around the store is their primary objective. If they were doing field work in your area, they would minimize their need to go to the store by stocking up so they did not have to go as often. It is quite suspicious. Perhaps they are legitimate researchers and just want to find local BF hot spots from a local. But the money aspect is suspicious. Everyone knows how tight amateur BF researchers are with their money.

I'm planning on going out again Friday and Saturday night,so I'll make my usual stop before i head into the woods. I think I'll approach them this time if they are there. I don't want to call them letting them know my number so hope they are there.

I just don't want to take the chance of being followed,so I'll have to be on the ball. There isn't any of those hunting for Bigfoot shows here in Iowa is there ? Offering money as you say is very strange.

I'm spending $100 in fuel eveytime I go out, barely enough left over for munchies Lol :)