N A W A C - Field Study Discussion

slabdog

Bipto - some of the comments got me thinking.

Pettronics has a GPS dog collar for around 200 dollars.  

http://www.pettronix.com/

I bought one when I got a new pooch.  It doesn't have the range the 'expensive' units have.  About a 1/2 mile (more on 'good' days).  It has rechargeable batteries as well.  If you could come up with a faux firewood piece that you could open and close easily.  Your crew could have a GPS tracked piece of firewood.

They make higher end units that will go miles upon miles as well, but be ready to fork over a grand for those.  But they are nice, with 'breadcrumb' options, and alerts when they get to certain ranges....

ANYWAY....food for thought.

With the thermal gear on the weapons, have you guys changed tactics, or is that what was in place last year? 

We had one thermal-equipped weapon last year. Now we have two. We also had one additional hand-held thermal device. We will mostly likely have two this time around. Therms are hella expensive but are, IMO, the pathway to success. 

I wonder if a tazer could also be useful in a close surprise encounter, and could lead to a possible live capture, well if that is remotely even possible.  I guess if it didn't work you would be toast.  

Any "live capture" scenario inevitably leads to the question of what you do with a 1,000 pound pissed off monkey. No thank you. 

How can you hope to retrieve it when the rest may have their own plan...or do you think they would abandon the body and run for the hills?

The prevailing thought is they would run away. But there's no way to know for sure. 

ANYWAY....food for thought.

Yeah. Interesting idea. 

1000 pounds?  Was that exaggeration or is that your actual size estimate of the biggest one?

That would put it at 9' tall? approx?

Well, seeing as how they are only a touch about 5 feet tall, one could extrapolate an estimated weight for a similar subject that is taller.

Weight would go up at a greater proportion than height, but I would think that Wood Apes are much more Svelte than a Mountain Gorilla.

This thread is being continued at the link below:

http://bigfootforums.com/index.php/topic/47032-n-a-w-a-c-field-study-discussion-2/