Establishing Study Area Predictability

BFF Patron

I couldn't wait that long.

Ok here's some tidbits, in no particular order, of 139 sightings on the Olympic Peninsula that we've researched so far.

Sightings by month :

23 - July

20 - October

15 - April

15 - August

14 - September

12 - June

09 - January

08 - March

07 - November

06 - December

05 - February

05 - May

** The remainder aren't dated **

89.9% of Olympic Peninsula reports are at under 1,000ft in elevation.

Of the 14 reports that are above 1,000ft in elevation, August has 4, April has 2, June has 2, October has 2 and Feb/Mar/Jul/Sept all have one.

The months of Nov/Dec/Jan do not have a report over 1,000ft from the 139 we have researched.

4 reports reported a form of speech.

29.3% of Class A reports involved road crossings.

The six months of Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb/Mar/Apr only made up 24% of Class A sightings.

91.3% of all Class A Sightings were under 1,000ft in elevation.

Since the year 2000 there have been 63 sighting reports, with the months of October ( 10 ), September ( 9 ), August ( 9 ) and July ( 9 ) being the most fruitful months,

These numbers, specifically the elevations, differ quite considerably to other parts of WA State.

The high number of road crossings is significant where elevations are concerned due to there not being any main roads that use higher elevations on the Peninsula, unlike other areas of the State.

Highway 101 for example ( correct me if i'm wrong someone but i thought of this recently when there ) rarely travels at any kind of elevation over 500ft or so it seems and mainly sticks to the coastal areas, around the National Park and Forest.

Another thing to note where elevation is concerned is that these Animals could highly likely make up 4,000ft in elevation in an afternoon/evening but we can only use the location of where the reports were from of course.

Interesting stuff and the more work we do, the more numbers we have to play with.

We could break this down so much more of course even now but for the time being, it's some food for thought. ;)

Bumping this cool thread hoping to hear of any new developments.  

• 1 month later...

Bipedalist , I'm hoping for the same thing. I love this approach to the study of Sasquatch, I think it will allow us to be educated about the species. I understand the burden of proof will still be heavy using this method but the reward of understanding will be well worth the efforts. Updates anyone?

SSR Team

I'll smash some out for you Guys, no problem.

Bear in mind the numbers change as that post was from 18 plus months ago and there's more data in the database now.

B or anyone else for that matter, if you want anything regarding this, just shout, I'm always here to help but don't always stumble across these threads.

Here's an update on the Olympic Peninsula

89.2% of Olympic Peninsula reports are at under 1,000ft in elevation.

Of the 16 reports that are above 1,000ft in elevation, August has 4, April has 2, June has 2, October has 2, Sept 2, July 2, Feb/May all have one.

The months of Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb/Mar only have one report over 1,000ft from the 146 we have researched.

Edited by BobbyO

SSR Team

South Cascades : From I-90 down to Columbia River with Western border being the I-5 and Eastern border being the edge of the forest.

216 reports, September tops the pile with 34, August next on 33. Lowest are a February with 2 and December with 4.

62% of all Class A's (95) are in daylight hours, with October (14) being the most popular months for these sightings (hunting season) followed by September and May, both 13.

34% of all Class A sightings are when the witness have been driving.

73% of "knock" reports have come from nights when the moon hasn't been visible.

Only 15/216 of all reports (7%) have been in the winter months.

76% of reports from people at home, on their own property, came in the hours of darkness.

Of all Class A reports at night in the last 10 years, every single report ( 6 ) has been on nights when the moon hasn't been visible, compared to every single report ( 8 ) in the previous 10 years coming on nights when the moon has been visible, that is a small data set however.

Edited by BobbyO

BobbyO, 

Looking at the information provided, the relevant information includes. 

1. Location 

2. Time of day

3. Time of year

4. Classification (A,B or C)

5. Weather conditions

I was wondering if you thought an cataloging of prints was documented in a database would yield any more information.  I would think prints would be somewhat easier to find and may lead to a quick establishment of a pattern of movement. 

SSR Team

We've got it already.

I can access everything you want with all of the search parameters you want, for just print reports, no problem.

Do I think they'd yield more information ? Not so much so really, but that's just my personal opinion.

After reading hundreds of reports over time, there are not that many actual trackway reports out there, with more than six print for example.

So many reports are of single prints, which I find strange but which leads me to think that at times they may be "placed" on purpose, as a signal of direction mainly, used as a communication tool, I don't know.

My belief where patterns of movement are concerned would undoubtedly be looking in to seasonal sightings and their locations, over x amount of years.

I believe this will yield the best information of potential patterns of movement.

For me, mapping plays the biggest part right now.

Most of the forest floors in the Pac NW are not conduscive to recieving a good track. A good tracker tracks by other tell tale clues, such as a broken branch or grass pointing the wrong way.

Even the tracks I saw were not something that was castable for a wall hanger.

A creek or spring or lake side might record something worthwhile. And you better find it before the weather does.

Not an easy thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Norse, I agree with you on the PNW forest floors. Both sets of tracks I have found were the result of the individual having to cross a skidder road. The first one was only one track because I think there was probably snow on the sides of the road when it crossed. The second set, with three decent tracks, we had to track as you stated by following scuff marks and broken branches through the woods.

I always check out the edges of marshes, lakes, and creeks but in those cases a person better be a good tracker to sort out the real from the possible hoaxes.

BobbyO, I appreciate your sharing the sighting info for SW WA. Most of the sightings are to the north or south of our research area, but I know from the evidence that they pass back and forth through the area. The lack of sightings in the area are probably due to two factors.

1) The gates are closed to the area in the winter.

2) People tend to pass through and not remain in the western side of the area. Which is fine with me. The whole eastern side is rugged country with nothing but a few trails. BFRO report 4779 is an interesting one from this area.