Sign in to follow this  
Guest dHb

Ostman Story, One Of My Favs

Guest Bigfoot Proof

Is Mr. Ostman's FULL interview available for purchase anywhere?

Guest rockinkt

I love the part where he claims to have been able to see and Identify Mt. Baker through the Coastal Mountain range at a distance of at least 200 miles! :blink::wacko::lol:

This tall tale should never have seen the light of day - IMHO.

Guest Kerchak

Just out of interest, what is the furthest you can see Mount Baker from, at good elevation and on a clear day?

BobbyO

Just out of interest, what is the furthest you can see Mount Baker from, at good elevation and on a clear day?

Well here's a Picture taken North of Vancouver, looking South obviously..

post-136-027897900 1311607604_thumb.jpg

Mount Baker to Vancouver is 70 Miles, Vancouver to the Toba Inlet is about another 90 Miles further North.

Edited by BobbyO

BobbyO

I love the part where he claims to have been able to see and Identify Mt. Baker through the Coastal Mountain range at a distance of at least 200 miles! :blink::wacko::lol:

No, it's most definately less than 200 miles..

But don't let that get in the way of making a point.

Edited by BobbyO

Guest Kerchak

Well here's a Picture taken North of Vancouver, looking South obviously..

post-136-027897900 1311607604_thumb.jpg

Mount Baker to Vancouver is 70 Miles, Vancouver to the Toba Inlet is about another 90 Miles further North.

Wow, geez that's 70 miles away already? Looks like you can almost touch Mt Baker there.

A further 90 miles to the north (i.e just over the same distance again) at a higher elevation seems to me then that it's possible with a clear view to see the same mountain.

Thanks a lot.

Guest Kerchak

By the way, one thing that has always confused me about the Ostman claim is the location. He said he was about 25 miles northeast of Toba Inlet when he was kidnapped and he thought the sasquatch took him further northeast, yet the logging camp he eventually made it back to was near the Salmon Arm Branch of the Sechelt Inlet and that's about 60 miles or so southeast of Toba Inlet, from what I can figure out.

Edited by Kerchak

Guest vilnoori

I still think that is a faked pic. I have been on those mountains North of Vancouver and I can't remember seeing Mt. Baker and certainly not so huge. Or maybe it is some fabulous zoom effect. Anyway the angle is wrong, that is the Vancouver Downtown from out on the bay, not from across up the mountains.

Here is the same skyline from Google Earth, the little white bump in the background is Baker Mt.

vancouverskyline.jpg

Edited by vilnoori

BobbyO

I still think that is a faked pic. I have been on those mountains North of Vancouver and I can't remember seeing Mt. Baker and certainly not so huge. Or maybe it is some fabulous zoom effect. Anyway the angle is wrong, that is the Vancouver Downtown from out on the bay, not from across up the mountains.

Here is the same skyline from Google Earth, the little white bump in the background is Baker Mt.

vancouverskyline.jpg

Vil, i promise my Dear, i had it looked at by a Guy who is a Graphic's Man who i didn't attempt to persude one way or another on whether it was fake or not & he was adament that it wasn't fake, " no chance at all " he said..

It may be touched up wiith regards to colouring etc but it's not a fake Picture..

Here's some more so that you can see the scale a little better..

post-136-056803800 1311788401_thumb.jpg post-136-056803800 1311788401_thumb.jpg

post-136-039134600 1311788415_thumb.jpg

Guest vilnoori

Well I don't know what particular zoom he is using but I lived in that area for many years and you cannot see Mt. Baker from Vancouver with the naked eye from the ground. If you go up Mt. Seymour to the North of Mt. Baker you can see it in the far, far distance.

The first pics you showed are from the air above Vancouver, or is it perhaps Abbotsford or Bellingham--both cities are much closer to Mt. Baker.

I'm sorry but I think the voice of experience (seeing it myself with the naked eye) trumps any expert from afar. I do see Mt. Baker each day, you know, from the road near my street you can see the very tip but it appears much, much smaller. And we are much closer to it here than Vancouver is. The only reason we can't see it totally is that it is blocked by other mountains (Cascades).

Edited by vilnoori

BobbyO

By the way, one thing that has always confused me about the Ostman claim is the location. He said he was about 25 miles northeast of Toba Inlet when he was kidnapped and he thought the sasquatch took him further northeast, yet the logging camp he eventually made it back to was near the Salmon Arm Branch of the Sechelt Inlet and that's about 60 miles or so southeast of Toba Inlet, from what I can figure out.

I personally think the Guy got his locations mixed up, but if he says he made his way up the Toba then we'd have to assume he did..

Assuming this is true however,, i don't believe that he could be sure of being taken 25 Miles North/North East of the Toba by a Sasquatch ( he actually said 10 Miles in what i read ), especially with, as you pointed out, him coming out down by the Sechelt Inlet.

That would say to me that he got taken South/South East instead, it would also mean that Mt Baker would have been more likely with regards to visibility.

Anyway's, he believed that he had made 10 Miles or so from the head of the Toba Inlet in a North/North East direction when he first noticed disturbances..

He said he was awake for around about 3 hours inside the Sleeping Bag until they reached their destination & was asleep when he was picked up, speed would be unknown but was " going at a trot for a long time "..

He actually said he was awakened when he was picked up but half aseep, then said he had " no idea when it started as i was asleep when he picked me up "..

On his " escape " he made 3 miles in " record time " & then headed West emerging 2 days later on the Salmon Arm of Sechelt Inlet..

He simply must have headed South/South East whilst in the Sleeping Bag, towards the Sechelt Inlet but on the East side of the Jervis Inlet..

The distance from Ostman's alleged Camp which is inclusive of the 10 Miles North East he thought he made from landing at the head of the Toba, to the middle of the Salmon Arm is around 60 Miles..

If we are to assume that Ostman was taken South by the Sasquatch, then in 3 hours the Sasquatch would need to have been going at a pace of around 15 Miles per hour on average for those 3 hours or so that he was aware he was being transported, to be there or thereabouts & within the time & distances..

Who knows how quick a Sasquatch would travel " on level ground and was going at a trot for a long time "...

That's just a rough outline anyway but close i'd guess, to what would have had to have happened.. :)

Guest vilnoori

Here is another picture to assist you in assessing the distance. I measure that the Vancouver City skyline pictured is about 130 km as the crow flies from Mt. Baker. Where I am at here is about 50 km away as the crow flies. Here is a map to help you visualize it. There is NO way you could see Mt. Baker from Toba Inlet, too. The green spot is me. The blue spot is the bay near downtown Vancouver where that picture is (part of it) taken.

vancouverskyline1.jpg

Edited by vilnoori

Sign in to follow this