Slabdog's Tillamook Trip

slabdog

Admin

That last photo gave me a startle. LOL, while catching my breath!

Great pics and thanks for sharing!! I agree with Art, might want to get your blood checked for anemia! :yes:

KB

Admin

I was wondering Slabdog, do you cover your scent with anything while you are out and about? Oh, and I seriously agree with Art, You could pass for Teddy Roosevelt or his brother.

Ahh C'mon!

Ya gotta love Teddy!

OK, so on day 2 I drove to the coast to get some gas (and just to see the beautiful coast line...again, you PNW types are spoiled!  You better be appreciative!) 

So I stop in to this small "to go" food shop in the Netarts / Oceaside area.  (Netarts Bay area)

post-395-0-84029700-1374600030_thumb.png

(disclaimer...not my picture)

Small little ocean side community.

So small, the the gal that ran the oddities / gift shop in town seemed shocked to see me there.  "What are you doing here?" she said. (the local chamber of commerce must not be too good ehh?)

Admittedly, I thought I was going to "Seaside, OR"...there is a place there called "Bigfoot Steakhouse" that I have been years ago and wanted to pic up some new swag.  No such luck.

Anyhoo..

I stopped at this little "to go" place and I notice that the logo is of a hairy foot.

I asked the gal at the counter what it symbolized and she told me "Bigfoot".

(Duhh...)

I asked her why they chose that logo and she explained the cultural / regional significance of Bigfoot. (she was not the owner)

I busted out my nerd question "Bigfoot...real or not real?"

She immediately got kind of strange.  There was an immediate change in her demeanor.  She was hesitant to discuss any further.

I told her I was genuinely interested in the subject and not looking to poke fun at her.

She looked back to her boyfriend (working in the kitchen who was now walked towards the counter to be a part of the convo.)

"He's asking about Bigfoot" she say to him.

I asked "Have you ever seen one?"

she responded she had not...

..however...

She related that she and her boyfriend are avid hiker / campers / nature lovers who will delve deep into the coastal mountain range for week long camping trips.  (the dreads and nut and granola attire pretty much confirmed that  :biggrin: )

She said "something is going on out there."

She said that when they are deep in the woods camping that often times "something" is whistling at them, throwing rocks at them, huffing, screaming and making loud "knock" noises (like gunfire) at them.

She reiterated that she has never "seen" anything.

The boyfriend then took over the convo.

He related how his brother was hunting last season in the same general area that they camp (cant remember if he said it was for deer or elk).

He said that his brother heard some strange noises (can't recall if he said screams or huffing...I was so engrossed at this point) soon followed up with a near by tree being "violently shaken in the tree line as if by something with incredible strength and two hands".  He said his brother high tailed it out of there and has not been back.  He said his bro was pretty spooked.

Now I have to tell you.  I'm a body language guy.

Trust me when I say that...I am.

And no, I won't explain.

I detected no signs of deception with these people.

Not only that, I found it notable that I had to essentially "drag" the conversation out of them.  And once the conversation was flowing, they didn't take it "over the top" by claiming to have actually "seen one".

So my next question to them - as I planned next year's trip in my head - "If you were me, and wanted to see and hear the things that you have experienced... where would you go?"

The answer:

"Blaine / Beaver, Oregon...due South...desolate...virtually no people are there. Better fill up your gas tank"

Beaver, OR 

I checked the ol' Google map and saw what they were talking about.

post-395-0-26902600-1374600540_thumb.png

Desolate.

Methinks I have next years PNW trip figured out.   :vinsent: 

(lemme know if you wanna go Norse!  ;) )

Just before I left (after buying a dozen Oysters and a lemon to throw on the ol' fire pit grate that evening for din din -which  goes great with a Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy multipack by the way) the woman shared one more tid-bit with me.

She said that she was a long time resident of that area.

She said many of the long time locals consider the existence of Sasquatch to simply be a fact.

She then told me a story about a few local boys who were playing on the beach of the bay.

The kids suddenly came screaming their way up back into town and  - quite out of breath and scared - explained that "a Bigfoot had swum up out of the bay, walked up the shore and into the tree line".

Fascinating...

Now Imagine if your a couple kids and you want to come up with a whopper about Bigfoot?

"Swimming out of the bay" doesn't seem to be at the top of the list of possible made up interactions.

So in conclusion, I ain't say'n that ANY OF THIS is true of course.

I didn't see ANYTHING squatchy on this trip and the stories I was told could either be just that or possibly truths that were simply confusion over natural events.

Still petty cool though.

And pretty fun.

I wanna go back!

:cool: 

I was wondering Slabdog, do you cover your scent with anything while you are out and about? Oh, and I seriously agree with Art, You could pass for Teddy Roosevelt or his brother.

Nope.

I figured just act like a regular camper.

That's how my bud Bart had his sighting.

• Upvote 1

Admin

I am with you on Body Language, Witnesses I have talked too, I was extremely attentive to their body language trying to detect if they were pulling my chain. I am convinced that the 3 people that I know and talked to in great detail, have actually saw a Bigfoot here in WV. Thanks for sharing your trip with us. The last story of the convenient store was awesome. "There is something going on out there."

I was actually pretty surprised by my lack of any fear on my night hikes.

And let me tell you...it was pitch black.

I think it was kinda like "No time for nervousness....you've wanted to do this for years!  Soak it up boy!"

I know...I know...all you PNW'ers are wondering what the big deal is.

:biggrin:

Maybe ya gotta be a wide eyed midwesterner or easterner to truly appreciate it.

Maybe not..

Plus 1 Slab !   You have no idea how glad it makes me to be able to see people going out and getting their boots dirty.

Keep going back , go off trail , note the weather conditions/environmental factors , log food sources coming into season and note your interesting finds on a map. 

THIS thread is fine example of what I am trying to advocate, people spending time in the great outdoors with 2 things on their minds. { 1 collecting data.  AND   2 enjoying the great outdoors with or without squatches near by.   :D )

I crappy squatching trip is still an awesome camping trip that is good for mind and body.

Very glad for you sir.

• Upvote 1

I have to say...

I'm sure there are folks that scoff at the BFF..

"It's just an internet forum!"

"It's not real life!"

I can tell you this..

Without the friends I have made, and the things I have learned on this forum...I very likely would never had built up the gumption to do this.

This is something I have wanted to do since I was 9 years old and my Dad gave me the "Bigfoot Casebook".

(Dang you Dad!  :biggrin: I blame you!)

Yes, we may have our drama from time to time...and yes we can't talk "dirty" like they do on some other venues...but in my book, for the above mentioned reasons, I say the BFF is the best!

Thanks guys!

We have a great little community here.

And it makes a difference!

:drinks:

Great stories and I love the way you tell it Slab!! I agree 100% on the just go camping and enjoy. That is what we started doing when we would venture to our areas outside of hunting season. Just camp, bring the grandkids and be normal. This is exactly how my wife had her sighting last year!

Thanks again for the thread!!

KB

Admin

If any of ya ever come to WV. Bring your Fly Rod because I know where the best Fly Fishing spots are, and they are in areas of reported Squatch sightings.