Backdoc

Attempts To Make A Patty Suit

Rockape

I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned this very bad attempt.

WV FOOTER

IMO, regardless of how well an attempt is made to replicate a Bigfoot by means of a costume or suit, Folds would be visible alerting viewers that it is a suit. Muscle movement would not be detectable.  Even if a suit could be reproduced with 100% accuracy, Footprints of appropriate depth would be extraordinarily difficult to reproduce while in the suit, not to mention the distance between footprints associated with a Squatch. Just my opinion.

ExTrumpet

Lots of threads on how technology simply wasn't available...I don't know if Patty is a man in a costume or not, but I certainly believe technology in the '60's was certainly advanced enough to make a costume look real enough in a blurry, bouncy film clip.

After all, this was done in 1968--with close-ups!!   :biggrin: 

planetofapes10553.jpg

WV FOOTER

The Planet of The Apes costumes/suits were 95% from the neck up. They wore clothing. IMO this does not make a legitimate comparison to an entire body suit which many claim is "Patty."  Patty shows muscle movement during her stride which leans me in the "It's the Real Deal" direction.

Backdoc

Sweaty,

I am not saying it is Great. I am saying it is the most Patty Like. And, you I must give credit where credit is due. It may look like a furry jump suit, but there is bulk there and the subject can clearly move in it. Now since Patty is not wrestling a bear, I was asking for the source so I could see it walking. There is NO muscle movement and many other issues I could go on about. We would be in agreement. I am impressed though in that it is the least foolish of the pics and vids that have tried to go out of their way to make a Patty. This is just a nice attempt by a person to post an interesting vid. Drew may or may not think Patty is real. I can think patty is real --which I do and then still applaud the Bigfoot Bear Wrestler. If I looked at the video without a lot of quick cut editing, I am sure I would laugh at the thing walking. it does have a patty like look to some extent and it does have the ability for the subject inside the suit to move. Having never seen it before, I am glad to have it as part of the discussion.

It continues to be the failed attempts of making and filming a patty suit in a very Bluff Creek Patty way that is most convincing.

I agree with you Sweaty, but I guess I am just a little more impressed by it is all.

I am glad the topic is getting the attention and energy I hoped it would!

Backdoc

Backdoc

I still think this modern attempt at a Bigfoot is pretty revealing for our purposes:

This may not be an attempt to make a patty suit, but we see no muscle movements, and the many other things Patty contains. Something to consider.

Backdoc

Airdale

post-22377-0-98706100-1374605114.jpeg

These apes from "2001, A Space Odyssey" which also debuted in 1968 were portrayed by mimes. 

Dan Richter who portrayed the ape " Moonwatcher" said that they looked at about 10,000 people to find the twenty with the ability to perform the roles and a sufficiently skinny build that they could fit into the padded costumes. They required stamina training to be able to handle the exhaustive action which was filmed in front of projected backdrops on a London soundstage where the temperature was over 100 F. Richter said "I spent a lot of time at the zoo, in front of the chimp cage and the gorillas. I got all the footage of Jane Goodall's work and watched it over and over again. I met with anthropologists.My goal was to take this group of twenty man-apes, drop them in a parking lot without telling them what to do, and they would just look right." 

SweatyYeti

Sweaty,

I am not saying it is Great. I am saying it is the most Patty Like. 

I am impressed though in that it is the least foolish of the pics and vids that have tried to go out of their way to make a Patty.

Sure, Backdoc...it does look a little more respectable, in some aspects. :) But when it comes to 'grading', a suit should be given grades for individual aspects, of what constitutes 'realism'.

Ultimately...unless it passes on many points....it's a failure!

It continues to be the failed attempts of making and filming a patty suit in a very Bluff Creek Patty way that is most convincing.

I agree with you Sweaty, but I guess I am just a little more impressed by it is all.

I am glad the topic is getting the attention and energy I hoped it would!

Backdoc

I agree, Backdoc. As the old saying goes....."Almost doesn't count...except for in Horseshoes and Hand Grenades".

We're not looking for a suit that "comes close", in only a few respects....we're looking for a suit which matches what we see on Patty. (Which is why I highlighted the word 'matching', in my earlier post.)

Backdoc

Sweaty,

I will gladly admit if given the change to re-grade these, I would not grade on a curve. I am giving the Bigfoot Bear Wrestler much more credit than it deserves. I admit the grade would be way too high. By the way, the still shot alone of our wrestler shows suit folds and so on.

Backdoc

Squatchy McSquatch

Bill made a pretty bad Patty suit earlier this year. Just sayin'

Bill

I made suits for specific scientific study of the motion dynamics of costumes, which is quite different from making a real-looking suit for a theatrical performance. A scientific study costume does not need any cosmetic detailing, so no cosmetic detailing was applied.

When I do cosmetic detailing, I usually produce something which can take a "Best in World" award at the world taxidermy championships (as I did in 1988 and 1992).

just sayin'. . . . .

Bill

• Upvote 1

AaronD

So....what's the damage on something like that?

This one looks like Patty from neck down.

Are you kidding? The first thing I noticed is that the legs look like furry trousers. If PGF was fake, they did a masterful job of making it appear as if there were distinct muscle bulges in the legs. One of the most impressive things to me about the PGF film is that there are places all over the body that look as if there is muscle movement beneath the hair, and even more striking is the toes do not remain stationary compared to the foot, in some frames you can see the toes flexing upward when not in contact with the ground.

Edited by Irish73

SweatyYeti

Bill made a pretty bad Patty suit earlier this year. Just sayin'

With a head too small for a human cranium. Just sayin'... :)

Bill

So....what's the damage on something like that?

For a "Best in World" quality level recreation of Patty, standing about 6' to 6 1/2' tall, I'd ask about $25,000, which includes the base it would be mounted on (since making a free-standing one would be unwise), perfect glass eyes, meticulous hand and foot detail (including nails), all facial hair punched one hair at a time, and same for the breast area hair, We'd be looking at about 3 months work. Client could select pose. Inside of nose would be detailed to the point you could look inside them with a flashlight and not see an end of the nasal passage (in world class taxidermy the judges do that and if they see the nasal canal end unnaturally, they ding you down a few points.) Eyelids would have eyelashes, etc. That's world class detailing.

crud under the fingernails is optional, no extra charge.

:)

Bill

Edited by Bill