The Ketchum Report (Part 3)

Guest Admin

Guest Urkelbot

Is there any hope of salvaging this whole thing or will it just end up in the trash like that fake dead bigfoot from Georgia?

Guest OntarioSquatch

I don't think there's anything to save. If she had sequenced real Bigfoot DNA, things might be different, but apparently she didn't. I really wanted this to be real, but now I wish I could have abandoned ship earlier.

Then there is only one reasonable scientific explanation left.....

Clearly an amorous Native American seduced a bear at some point. They gave birth to Patty, and Smeja turned her into Steks'ums.

Case closed! Well done. Drinks, anyone?

Has anyone heard the rumor that the Sykes project found bear and human DNA in the Smeja sample?

I heard the rumor. I also heard that Justin is claiming it is only a rumor, they don't know yet. So, take it for what it's worth, I guess.

*Steak-umms

I never believed the whole Smeja incident. Why wouldn't he have just picked up one of the little ones? If they were worried about getting in trouble, he could have just said he thought it was a bear. The whole story doesn't sound right to me. In such a scenario, I wouldn't have pulled the trigger. But once I had, I certainly wouldn't have left such a discovery behind for weeks.

Guest JiggyPotamus

I will admit that I have not really followed this entire fiasco, so I have no clue what developments there have been. I read the report, but since I am not all that familiar with the science behind DNA extraction and analysis, I must admit that I could have been wrong in initially stating that there was something to her results. 

After seeing the public opinion within the bigfoot community itself, I think that it would be better for us as a whole to simply dismiss the entire issue. The mainstream scientific community has already condemned the results, whether they were justified in doing so or not I cannot really say, therefore where will it get any of us to keep pushing this report and its findings? I firmly believe that the community should present a united front to the rest of the world, and that we should be in agreement as much as possible regarding all evidence.

And one of the easiest things to do is simply throw out the evidence that is questionable to any degree. I realize that such a task is monumental in its scope, since the variety of opinions possessed by individuals within the community are quite extensive. But I still think this is what we should be aiming for. This means mostly skeptical individuals should admit when something very well could be authentic, and it means that the other camp should admit when something is not consistent with known data, and therefore is probably not any good evidence-wise.

The main problem I had with the scientific community, as well as individuals on this forum, when they initially responded to Ketchum's report, was that they went straight for attacking the circumstances of the publication, as well as attacking or calling into question various other aspects of this woman and her work that were unrelated to the results that were obtained, and the methods that were used.

I mean how can a scientist come out and say that the results MUST be tainted by human DNA, and therefore her results could not be accurate to begin with? I don't have a problem with the results being wrong, but I have a huge problem with the scientific community dismissing results without even commenting on them to begin with. One of the great things about science is that it is not supposed to be subject to the whims, biases, or personal opinions of anyone, scientists included. So how did the fact that the journal was not credible, etc, affect the methods and results of the experiments, or in this case the testing? So it does not matter what one believes regarding her results, as everyone should admit that she deserved a fair look from other scientists. Attacking anything other than the results and the methods is inexcusable in my opinion, because that is how I understand the scientific process to operate.

But like I said, it would just be better to drop the entire issue. Let's say her results did actually prove something regarding the existence of bigfoot. Apparently it does not matter, because those results have obviously not been accepted. And if her results didn't prove anything, we are still in the same boat. So how does continuing the debate actually help us? Scientists can still debate the results if they choose, but for those who do not have the specialized knowledge to analyze such results, the issue should probably just be thrown out, since as I said, the ONLY thing that should be an issue are the results and methods.

Has anyone heard the rumor that the Sykes project found bear and human DNA in the Smeja sample?

Sounds likely, given that that's what Trent University found when they tested Smeja's samples.

But like I said, it would just be better to drop the entire issue. Let's say her results did actually prove something regarding the existence of bigfoot. Apparently it does not matter, because those results have obviously not been accepted. And if her results didn't prove anything, we are still in the same boat. So how does continuing the debate actually help us? Scientists can still debate the results if they choose, but for those who do not have the specialized knowledge to analyze such results, the issue should probably just be thrown out, since as I said, the ONLY thing that should be an issue are the results and methods.

I really don't care if anyone wants to debate the results anymore. Just remember who said the results were human, and from nonhuman samples. I think this community will see that again and again and again until it sinks in. I've seen notable and "Prominant proponents" preach that we needed the DNA only to now shift to "we need a body". What made sense before, doesn't anymore. They'd rather throw Ketchum under the bus than to acknowledge what she found. It's too easy to say the samples were ALL human or contaminated and carry on believing the unknown ape roams the forests and never leaves a single shred of "unknown ape" DNA behind. 

Most people don't even realise that Ketchum was the first to say the results were "crazy".

• Upvote 1

Guest Silent Sam

Just remember who said the results were human, and from nonhuman samples. 

Nonhuman samples including a wookie costume.