Weird Stuff / Encounter My Family Had Camping In Northern Iowa

georgerm

At the Shell Rock River Reserve between Rock Falls and Nora Springs.

Never thought of that but that very well could be a logical explanation. 

The photo below is close to Nora Springs. If bigfoots live here, can they remain undetected?

post-447-0-00693600-1389229051_thumb.jpg

Redbone

This is not the part of Iowa that I'd expect to find them. I keep my eyes open around all of the rivers. If the ARE in this part of the state, they will cling to the rivers. It will at least be worth a look.

I have twice heard a strange "Owl Chorus" along the Shell Rock River, but well south of there.

The first time was mid-morning in early spring and I stepped out of my car to look at an odd assembly of branches stuffed into a tree.

The second time was at 4 am while I was at Scout Camp with my son.

I heard (3rd of 4th hand) that somebody has heard what sounds like a woman's scream along the same River.

I had a friend leave their camping area in Clear Lake because they heard "something" in the trees and found damaged trees, in an area smaller than this one by Nora Springs.

There is a BFRO report (1977) at Idlewild Park, which is just East of Nora Springs.

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=1630

This report also mentions "Clarksville" which is along what river? The Shell Rock.

Edited by Redbone

georgerm

"About then the whatever straightened up and walked right at us, the eyes were 6-7 feet above the water, and then the thought came to mind, dont bears while in the water generally walk on all fours? You can call this animal very dark brown or blackish color. It waded about fifty foot out raising it's feet out of the water bringing them down flat on the water, kind of a sploosh-sploosh effect. Then it turned down river and started walking at a faster rate." from above report.

The human population is sparse along the river, and I suppose a BF could live there and eat crops from the field. Seems like a very constricted area for BF.

DWA

I doubt seriously if a boyscout was watching so that he could go back and redo the bed after the kids messed them up.  Really???  None of the limbs were cut, they were broken/snapped?  Don't boyscouts cut the limbs to make a shelter???

Yes.  If everything was snapped and twisted it was done by hand, and I don't think they have Testing Top-Secret Military Bionics in Boy Scouts.  I'm doubting Ninja Woods Bedmaking is on the agenda either.

The 14 y o girl saw one and you guys would still think that boyscouts were responsible for making the shelters???  Growling, chattering, holy crap I thought I had a hard head..... :crazy:

All I will say is...I'd be interested.

The sister in law and family went back out a couple times and still claimed to see and hear stuff that didn't make sense.  She went out the last time in early October and said a lot of the huts were gone/destroyed and they were gone.  I am going to go out with them next summer.  I don't know....we'll see.

My first thought is boy scout huts, but she said no twine, nothing was cut, only snapped off and some of the sticks were pretty big. 

I was surprised to see the thread brought back to life....ha

Redbone

It's a requirement for scouts to get the wilderness survival merit badge, to improvise a natural shelter.

http://scoutermom.com/6217/wilderness-survival-merit-badge-boy-scouts/

http://boyslife.org/outdoors/3473/taking-shelter/

I drove past Nora Springs twice today. I had no time to get off the avenue though. I had to keep moving.

Edited by Redbone

DWA

Right.  The question is whether the merit badge involves using superhuman strength instead of a bow saw.  :mole:

Redbone

Don't underestimate what scouts can do. I have seen them build a trebuchet out of sticks and stumps.

Although Scouts would use twine, there is something in the first picture that makes me think it's not scouts.

Most troop leaders and parents would never allow the scouts to leave the twine wrapped between the trees like that.

"Leave no trace"

By the way, there is twine wrapped between two trees in that first picture.

That really has nothing to do with the reported activity there though.

Since I live close, I plan to go take a look and see this area for myself...maybe soon

post-21915-0-33643900-1389380130_thumb.j

Edited by Redbone

georgerm

For bigfoots to travel in this confined river bed seems unlikely.

However,  they could migrate along the river bed from the mountains to the lowlands during summer, where food is plentiful. Seems risky but again, few homes line the river bed, just empty farm lands.

Redbone

It is a confined area. There is gated entrances on both ends, and houses across the river.

This is NOT an ideal location for a creature that wants to avoid human contact.

In the summer, there may be added 'security' of corn fields surrounding the trees.

Snowmobiles still cut right through here in the Winter.

I did not enter the area today, but next time I may have to take a hike.

post-21915-0-89621200-1389500421_thumb.j

post-21915-0-25437800-1389500456_thumb.j

post-21915-0-52080600-1389500480_thumb.j

post-21915-0-10267800-1389500521_thumb.j

post-21915-0-70437400-1389500537_thumb.j

post-21915-0-60809900-1389500552_thumb.j

Edited by Redbone

Redbone

I made a visit on Monday and these structures are still there.

Some interesting observations.

There are no branches in this structure that have been cut. Every branch has broken ends.

There is no twine or string holding things together. It's all branches.

It does not appear that anything has been inside of this shelter all winter.

There are three of these things in two different groups of trees, but within site of each other.

They are easily visible from two different roads...no stealth here at all.
(Edit: they are easy to see now, but maybe in Summer time they blended better)

I thought I was taking clear pictures and most turned out blurry.

I'm very likely to be in the area again soon and will keep an eye on things there.

post-21915-0-79533600-1395354317_thumb.j

post-21915-0-62048700-1395354382_thumb.j

post-21915-0-11828600-1395354395_thumb.j

post-21915-0-47887000-1395355373_thumb.j

Edited by Redbone

Sasfooty

I thought I was taking clear pictures and most turned out blurry.

The blurry ones are the ones with BFs in them. ;)

• Upvote 2

WV FOOTER

Redbone, the branches not showing signs of being cut is just peculiar.  Did the branches show signs of being twisted or just broken?  You stated that this structure was close to two roads, but is it close to neighborhoods or out in the boonies?   When you first saw this structure was it green or dead looking?

Redbone

I really didn't see signs of twisting. I intentionally took pictures of the ends of branches that did not turn out.

It all looked dead when I saw it, but if you go back in this thread and see it last summer, it looks like it may have had fresh evergreen branches. (I didn't see this structure the first time I was there)

This is in a wild life refuge...no hunting.

There is one farm not far away and there is what appears to be a house on or near park property that has no driveway from the road. You have to use the park drive and it has a closed gate on the west end of the drive.

This structure is in one of the most open places in the park, and not far from the picnic shelter

The Park is to the west and farm land is to the east.

I had a dash cam running and I may be able to pull some images off of the video that show areas around this spot.

This is NOT the spot where I expected the structures to be. I thought they were deeper into the park than this. (See smiley faces on the attached image)

post-21915-0-19300700-1395362556_thumb.j

post-21915-0-74745700-1395364167_thumb.j

post-21915-0-49216800-1395364203_thumb.j

Edited by Redbone

Redbone

Here are three images from my dash cam.

One is from the south driving on Yucca. The shelter belt to the left contains the structure I took pictures of.

The second image is the view as I pulled into the park drive. The structures would be to the left of the stop sign.

The third image is from partway up the park driveway, where you can see the picnic shelter. The tree structures would be to the left of the car at that point.

The last image is a zoomed in view of the smallest structure. I did not observe this one close up.

post-21915-0-07432000-1395366357_thumb.j

post-21915-0-35052800-1395366370_thumb.j

post-21915-0-54984800-1395366386_thumb.j

post-21915-0-90912200-1395366393_thumb.j