Weird Stuff / Encounter My Family Had Camping In Northern Iowa

salubrious

Any idea the length of that cast?

Redbone

I am so close... I may take a short road trip tomorrow. Every time I have been there I have seen no signs at all. I have not camped though. I also visted Idlewild Park which is about 15 miles west of this place and with more rugged terrain, again with no signs.

Edited by Redbone

Redbone

Correction - Idlewild is EAST not West of the Shell Rock Preserve.

I visted the Shell Rock Preserve today and found very little. The stick huts that were there through the winter and spring are long gone. I found no trace of them whatsoever.

I followed the creeks for quite a ways, thinking if there are tracks to be found this is where they would be. I saw lots of deer tracks, horse tracks, and a few dog or coyote tracks but no bigfoot prints.I followed a flock of turkeys for awhile and was startled by a crane taking off from one of the creeks. I did scare up something large as I walked by on a trail. I never saw it but I think it was a deer.

I found a pile of turkey feathers but no bones and no tracks around it that I could make out.

As I first entered the trails I heard wood knock sounds all around but nothing close to me and nothing loud. There were acorns dropping all around and may have been some of what I heard. It is odd though that I heard this all at the beginning as I headed North but heard nothing as I headed back South on a different trail.

I left my audio recorder and my dash cam going at the car which was parked at the East end, somewhat near to where the huts used to be but I have not reviewed the audio yet. If I caught anything interesting I will share it later.

post-21915-0-94055600-1411870830_thumb.j

post-21915-0-27401200-1411870872_thumb.j

post-21915-0-60736000-1411870910_thumb.j

post-21915-0-24621900-1411870954_thumb.j

post-21915-0-53673100-1411870984_thumb.j

post-21915-0-68593900-1411870999_thumb.j

post-21915-0-11480600-1411871049_thumb.j

Edited by Redbone

Any idea the length of that cast?

Sorry I didn't reply earlier sal,  I posted twice the day she was  interviewed and for whatever reason I was not allowed to post that night after that and have been busy everyday since.  She saidt the cast was 16-17" and says she's seen smaller ones out there as well.  They interviewed her for quite a while that night and she talked quite a bit about her experiences. 

Redbone, have you had a chance to listen to the interview either that night or if there is a podcast?  I'm not sure what to make of the stories but usually when she goes camping, there is a group of 8 or more.  She claims usually they show up shortly after they get there to set up camp and they trust her.  I need to get up there and see for myself because she sends me pictures where there is obviously a BF there but I can't find anything so go figure...

Redbone

Listening now...

I could not find any of the structures she described but I'm sure I didn't look it the right places. I stayed mostly toward the North end.

Hearing her describe the area I think I went the wrong direction, like all the activity was south of the camping area.

South of the Preserve across the road there is quite a bit of cover - a decent place to escape people when needed.

Next time through I will check the south side for places they may cross the road.

Redbone

So....I may have had my first daytime Bigfoot siting yesterday, but can't be even 50% sure. Despite having a camera THAT WAS RECORDING, I have no proof. :(

I returned to the site yesterday so I could explore the area south of the camping place. This is a place where I have not been before and as she said in the interview on blogtalk radio, it is full of cockleburrs. Once again I could not find any tree structures in there but I did have activity. As I came to the top of the creekbed on the far side of the creek, I startled 'something' and it took off away from me moving from right to left near the far edge of the stand of trees I was in. There was a lot of cover between me and it but what I could see was above the cover. I could not make out any form or features other than it was dark, it was big (above the brush) and it was fast.

I actually HAD a camera on me and recording at the time. I had mounted my dash cam on the top of a walking stick, specifically in the hopes of having such an encounter. I could not swing the camera to that spot in time. I've been trying to stabilize shaky video and I see no signs of it. The camera was actually lower than my eye line and may not have been high enough to see what I saw.

I was shocked by the reaction time. I had only become in sight-line for a fraction of a second before it was GONE. It did make noise in the brush but in the video I can't distinguish it's noise from my own as I was also making a racket.

NEXT TIME - I go in camera first, having it mounted on a 4 foot stick, I can raised it above my head.

Other than this one incident, that left more questions than answers, I once again found no signs, and no tracks.

I will continue trying to stabilze that section of video but I'm not feeling much hope.

I have included one screen shot n this post. This is the place (and time 14:52:02) where it happened. It was more likely a second or two earlier but I don't have the correct area shown on camera :(

Whatever it was, it moved from right to left above the green brush, and very fast.

It was much darker than the deer I see here. There are turkeys here but I've heard turkeys taking off from brush like this and they make different wing-flappy noise (I may actually have audio of that from another trip)

I do have about an hour and a half of video I have not watched yet.

If I spot anythiing in video I will share. I know I have deer on camera that spotted me, stared for a few seconds before taking off. This dark thing moved MUCH differently than the deer.

post-21915-0-24496800-1412596462_thumb.j

Redbone

Here is a scaled down version of the few seconds of video that I am trying to stabilize. Sadly, I see nothing moving here, even in the 1280x720 images from the video.

post-21915-0-79936000-1412601885.gif

Redbone

Just a small update to bump this thread and because I was at this location again on Tuesday, July 21st 2015. I tried to look around in my usual areas but the vegetation made it difficult to get where I wanted to go. I did come across this poop pile.

post-21915-0-39031200-1438019461.jpg

There was an old dropping and a newer one in the exact same place. Despite having a doggy poop bag in my pocket, I was not inclined to collect this specimen. I wouldn't know what to do with it anyway. Lucky for all of you I had my camera so I can share! It's size caught my attention. The fresher version is about 2 inches across by 5 inches long. Whatever made this pushed though tall weeds to this point, did it's thing and moved into heavier brush from here. If anybody knows of an animal (in Iowa) that makes a prize such as this please let me know.

I saw no other signs of Bigfoot in this park, but my review was limited. It's much easier to get around in early Spring or late Winter.

One big change at this park. They repaired the road along the river. You can drive all the way through the park now.

Edited by Redbone

LeafTalker

Lovely poop.   :)

Foxfire

I've seen a lot of really fresh deer droppings that look like this.

Redbone

^ There is no shortage of deer here and based on the cover it went into I think it was not very tall. I could not have followed. You could see the path clearly in the open area through long grass.

It was just after I found this that I realized I was standing in and around wild parsnip on a sunny day. I felt it best to go back where I came from...carefully!

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives/terrestrialplants/herbaceous/wildparsnip.html