Urban Bigfoot, Seriously?

Lake County Bigfooot

When I first began researching the Bigfoot phenomenon I had to grapple with the thought of how such a creature could have alluded detection from science, and remained in isolated populations presumably in the mountain ranges and rain forest of the Pacific West.  It sounded plausible that, given the vast wilderness and resources available in this region, that such a large animal could hide and sustain itself.  Then you begin to read the books and sighting reports and discover that, far from what you thought was a localized population of rare animals, you discover them to be seen in every part of the country, excepting parts of the great plains, which for obvious reasons makes good sense.  You continue to discover that in areas, such as suburban New Jersey, and even Chicago you have very credible sightings, not more that 30 miles from a sprawling urban center.  There are even a few reports of the large hairy biped much closer to these areas.

The question I have for you is one that was answered in my mind this summer in July, when at 3:50am, tossing in my bed, I was given a rare experience.  I overheard what I will call a conversation of two bigfoots, one that was crossing between mine and my neighbors house, and one further into a tree line.  They were alarmed when a night police patrol came down my semi-busy road shining a spot light into the yards.  It started with a Whooooeeeeep Whooooeeep, followed by an answer from inside the tree line, Whoooo,  Whooo, which was lower and more emphatic.  The sounds were only possible to a human or primate, and given the volume and the clarity, as well as the pitch, not possible to humans either.  The sounds repeated again but moving deeper into the marsh that borders my backyard, and the police car paused, as if he saw something in my yard, and even returned to look again. On the fourth of July a week or so prior my wife and I heard strange whoooops coming from the trees and marsh in response to some noisy fire works, at the time we knew they were odd, but dismissed them as human until that late night conversation. Oh did I mention I have an apple tree in my backyard that was producing nice little apples at the time

I live in a semi rural/suburban environment, 40 miles or so from downtown Chicago, and bigfoots frequent my backyard.  Reality check!  How can such a creature live in a fairly populated area, which almost always has traffic, except between 2:30am and 4:00 am, when it is more sporadic.  Yet it avoids detection, excepting a few foot prints in the snow and a rare sighting, usually crossing a road in the wee hours of the morning, probably returning to it's safe spot.  If it did not happen to me I would probably never excepted the possibility, though when the foliage comes in mid summer the possibility seems much better.  Do a little research on the BFRO sightings around the bigger cities, you will discover the geographic correlation, the connecting of greenways, bike paths, rivers and streams, all serve as pathways for these semi urban bigfoot to travel, and that is where the sightings are occurring.  Not hysteria, or misidentification, just honest people encountering a real creature that leaves real footprints, makes audible sounds different from any other animal, and lives just beyond our gaze.  Winter is a question I will address later as I have not come to terms with that yet, though we have had footprint findings in our area for several years.  I should mention that my County has been buying vast amounts of land for several decades in order to preserve our special environment, which is noted as one of the best wetland areas in the country, and recently is being incorporated into a federal wildlife refuge called the Hackmatack Wildlife Refuge.

SSR Team

Well I'm normally the first to question these urban type reports but that of course is stupid of me given the fact that I saw one of these things in South Florida, because they didn't just evolve there.

So I'm not into debating the existence of the animal, I'm passed that stage and try not to get involved in it first and foremost.

I am however into trying to work out what in the world is going on with them.

With regards to Chicago specifically, I lived there for a couple of years and know it very well and know the suburbs prett well.

But I still can't stop myselfasking the same question as you are with regards to how is it possible for them to evade detection if they are that close in to major cities ?

And I can't answer it which cause me to continue to wonder if they are actually doing that.

A couple of summers back I went out with a researcher in the western suburbs of Chicago to have a check around an area that had had numerous alleged activity and we came across some interesting things if not conclusive.

We also heard a scream which I found odd but cool.

After I left the Guy though I got a phone all that same evening from him saying that he had found a track an hour or so after I had left which he lodged as a report with the BFRO.

Truth is if I had been there when he found that track I would have been in and around that area religiously and be much more at ease with the possibility of them being so close to cities but the element of doubt always sneaks in given those circumstances.

That's not to say the Guy was hoaxing at all as I'd hope he didn't ( if he did, wouldn't he have " found it " when I was there ? ) but there is of course still an element of doubt which I guess is only natural given those circumstances.

If they are this close to cities, and by close I mean in the western suburbs of Chicago, I can only assume they are moving solely at night and solely through the river systems there which is fully wooded if you want it to be.

It's possible even though it seems incredible.

There are reports and evidence to this day that are within city limits or within a hours drive of many large cities. OKC, DFW Yes and San Antonio, Denton TX... The greenbelt forested creek and river corridors provide all that is needed to travel unseen at night , find food at night and water with cover.. etc.. What sso hard to believe about it? They could travels miles nightly in and out and sleep away from town by day..

Chicago is an interesting one, but a city with a lot of alleged sightings.

Keep in mind there's a river running through the middle of the city. 

Also, I would disagree with your great plains comment above, there just aren't a lot of reports made about them.  (Sighting reports on Reservations out there are mainly kept on the reservation).

Of course, they don't hang out in the open plains, but rather hang out in the pockets of terrain out there.

Less not forget a certain 150# mountain lion that showed up in inner city Chicago a few years ago... probably followed deer along the river and... some major happening in Central to Southern Illinois see Stan Courtney.. LOTS of CORN and LOTS of DEER..together or seperately would sustain large animals and grow  up strong and grew up right on an Indiana night........

Edited by GEARMAN

To answer your question, regarding avoiding detection... 

given the facts, they failed at avoiding detection, because you detected them. It's possible that lots of people have, they just didnt know what they were hearing. Most people would probably just attribute those sounds to an Owl or some kind of more common urban animal. 

All I can say now, is that I hope they move into Brooklyn so I can see one too. ;)

Less not forget a certain 150# mountain lion that showed up in inner city Chicago a few years ago... probably followed deer along the river and... some major happening in Central to Southern Illinois see Stan Courtney.. LOTS of CORN and LOTS of DEER..together or seperately would sustain large animals and grow  up strong and grew up right on an Indiana night........

I would like to say that I get and appreciate that reference. :D

Guest Darrell

Or just maybe those making all the sightings near the big cities resemble a certain type of German clock named after a bird. Just saying.

Most people would probably just attribute those sounds to an Owl or some kind of more common urban animal."

That would seem to be the more reasonable and likely scenario.

Lake County Bigfoot, have you ever laid eyes on these Bigfeets in your backyard?  I would suggest you maybe familiarize yourself with the range of sounds capable by common animals. I can assure you, you will be very surprised.

Edited by dmaker

Reality check!  How can such a creature live in a fairly populated area, which almost always has traffic, except between 2:30am and 4:00 am, when it is more sporadic.  Yet it avoids detection, excepting a few foot prints in the snow and a rare sighting, usually crossing a road in the wee hours of the morning, probably returning to it's safe spot.

Santa Claus does it, he is far more elusive than Bigfoot. LULZ.

I've battled this in my own mind often.  On one hand, it just doesn't make sense.  With several hundred years of population you would think that populated areas east of the Mississippi, BF would have been discovered by now.  And by discovered I mean scientifically, not just the occasional glimpse etc.  Where is the physical evidence - a body?  There are more reported sightings of an 800 lb hairy, bi-pedal creature in/around Chicago than there are reported sightings of mountain lions - yet there is proof of the mountain lion being there.  So many people, trucks, cars - why hasn't one been hit by a car?  A few weeks ago I was in sagebrush desert land and saw a moose that had been hit by a car.  That is not moose territory, there couldn't be too many there, but this one got hit by a car.  It just doesn't add up.

Yet, on the other hand - people in general are very unaware of their surroundings.  Because we have been able to alter our environment we have lost much of our ability to monitor what goes on around us.  We live in a mostly controlled world.  I've even witnessed hunters walk right past game and on other occasions have watched game slip right behind a hunters - and these are people out in the field who are making a concerted effort to find game. 

I still find it hard to believe a lot of these urban/sub-urban sightings however.

There is too much report data to ignore the possibility of them getting around within city limits if not downtown. 

My suggestion ... if you have a very specific location, like your own house, use Google Earth to search for travel corridors.  These would be stream channels with brushy cover, under-developed parts of parks that still have cover, etc.   If there is a "green corridor" to your house's location, you might have something going on there. 

Of course, it's not only bigfoot that might use it, so you could have some other unexpected visitor you're overlooking instead.   Also, such cover is sometimes used by transients and drug users, so outlandishly bizarre and unexpected human behavior have to be considered. 

You need more than just something unexpected to support a conclusion it's bigfoot.  All you have now is "could be."

IMHO :)

MIB

I saw mine in a similar overall environment between Toledo, OH and Detroit.  Could not believe it but there it was.  Just the one event, now I think it was a wandering male passing through...

Most people would probably just attribute those sounds to an Owl or some kind of more common urban animal."

That would seem to be the more reasonable and likely scenario.

Lake County Bigfoot, have you ever laid eyes on these Bigfeets in your backyard?  I would suggest you maybe familiarize yourself with the range of sounds capable by common animals. I can assure you, you will be very surprised.

I haven't been on here in months, Dmaker, but it's good to see you're constantly on vigil and fighting the good fight. Yep, no doubt about it. I think it's possible for you to completely reverse all progress into the bigfoot phenonenon with your endless key strokes. It's almost as if a single footprint or sighting is erased with each keystroke. Strong work!

By the way, I think it's extremely condescending to assume the OP can not tell the difference between an owl and a primate. You have no idea what field knowledge this person has.

Edited by Gotta Know
  • Upvote 1