Do Bf's Mimic Sounds Other Animals Make?

Guest jsbelljr83

Of course there's no way of knowing if it was mimicking a panther but I found it unusual in his description of the sound.

I don't. It's just the way humans describe known sounds, to try and relate what they've heard. There's no other simple way to do that without relating it to known animal sounds.

Humans/primates can make a wide variety of rounded, vowel sounds. A lot of animals in nature can too. It neither means that we're imitating them or they us.

Edited by GuyInIndiana

Go to the recordings portal top left, then click on July 2 2007,play the top clip.

Doesn't sound like a crow, sounds like a Lynx.

At best, rank speculation, all of this. Has anyone even claimed to witness bigfoot mimicking another creature or sound?

I think it's interesting that - when just about every conceivable shade/nuance of interaction with a wild animal has been reported, including a number of reports of one seen wood-knocking - I can recall not one single report of someone actually witnessing this happening.

The Lynx in the video are making the exact same AAAAHHHH sounds. The one you hear in the audio clip of the Michigan Recording Project is just in a higher pitch.

Guest LarryP

But that's my point Larry... it COULD all just be 'matrixing'. It's possible it just sounds like that and IS completely random. THAT wouldn't even be mimicing. That would be intentional, attempted direct communication with us. IF that were the case, I would find it ground breaking. If that's what they want, they can always try it again.

Or it could just be an attempt to wake y'all up to let you know that you were not welcome in their territory.

And again what you and I think is gibberish, very well may be language to them.

As I've told you before, those recordings are very clear and very high quality. 

Sure. It 'could' be. Now how we'll ever know it, remains to be seen. But the thread is about mimicing, and as far as that goes, I've seen no attempt of that in the 8 seasons of being at that location that I've been there... because that implies intent to do so. Not just that something *could* be interpreted as sounding like another known sound.

But I do understand your point.

Guest LarryP

Guy, like you I have never heard them live and in person mimic other animals.

All I've ever personally heard is whoops, howls, and tree knocks.

There are sounds in the MRP recordings that I've felt for a long time were a perfect rendition of dog (canine) behavior, the bark-like huffs in particular. I would think that a hominin with little social structure could have behaviors that were adopted to manipulate other animals in the environment.

The key phrase here - "which makes them think they are hearing a large primate".

The logic used is pretty simple- if it sounds like a person then it probably is.

As long as you recognize that this is nothing but one big assumption then that's the whole point. You simply cannot equate anything here as being factual.

Well what's it gonna be Rogue? An assumption or simple logic?

The Lynx in the video are making the exact same AAAAHHHH sounds. The one you hear in the audio clip of the Michigan Recording Project is just in a higher pitch.

I thought I'd give it a fair shot, so here is a comparison file. The MRP screams still sound much more like a human/ hominin. And I'll add, like it's mimicing a drawn out crow caw.

MRP ahhh scream and Lynx comparison.wav

• Upvote 1