' Mythical Yeti Could Be Descended From Ancient Polar Bear '

Guest Darrell

In both of the hair samples that were found to be bear, both were actually claimed to be yeti hair. One from a discovered lair and the other from a proposed yeti hide. All the other hairs were found to be of other known animals.

Also take into consideration that this 'bear' would have to be pretty different looking for people to not identify as just a common bear. Didn't both say the subject was walking upright?

^^^That's my problem; and that's the reason "this isn't bigfoot, it's bear" hasn't quashed bigfoot.

Natives and Europeans alike are describing an animal that reminds them not of a bear but an ape.

India is 11 times the size of Texas.  I will guess that the Himalayan range

covers a similar amount of land, very rugged. 

There is room in the Himalayas for Man-bear, Man-ape, Man-goat plus a

flock of flying dragons.  Most of us would never know. 

Besides that ... I kinda hope Sykes is withholding his best stuff for the Book. 

He analyzed two Yeti samples.  What if he has more? 

Another likely scenario:

Western mountaineers travel to the Himalayas, Sherpa guides tell them ghost stories about the Abominable Snowman, the westerners travel home, tell the stories.  Sherpa guides realize the AS stories bring people back for more exploration, and continue the tradition.

Scooby Doo episodes are created, and a whole generation of Westerners are aware of the Abominable Snowman legend.

Edited by Drew

Guest Urkelbot

Go to Nepal and see how much yeti merchandise is sold. Yeti shirts, mugs, restaurants, hotels, airlines, etc. The yeti makes the locals lots of money. Everything the locals have had purported to be from Yeti tested for human or known animal except the Sykes bear. So no good evidence no good photos, no pgf just the locals and a few tourists stories.

You can't prove it but come on you have to admit I'd doesn't look good for the yeti.

Guest crabshack

Yea, the locals were pimping yeti appeal and gear in the 1920's and I'm sure Charles Kenneth probably purchased a coffee mug to take home.

"According to H. Siiger, the Yeti was a part of the pre-Buddhist beliefs of several Himalayan people. He was told that the Lepcha people worshipped a "Glacier Being" as a God of the Hunt. He also reported that followers of the Bön religion once believed the blood of the "mi rgod" or "wild man" had use in certain mystical ceremonies. The being was depicted as an apelike creature who carries a large stone as a weapon and makes a whistling swoosh sound."

Another likely scenario:

Western mountaineers travel to the Himalayas, Sherpa guides tell them ghost stories about the Abominable Snowman, the westerners travel home, tell the stories.  Sherpa guides realize the AS stories bring people back for more exploration, and continue the tradition.

Scooby Doo episodes are created, and a whole generation of Westerners are aware of the Abominable Snowman legend.

I think the word you're looking for is plausible, not likely. I don't think either word describe the reality, however. Culturally these are a very honest people, whose very reputations and livelihood hang on their words and actions. I don't think they are "likely" to manufacture a beast to bring in the western climbers.

Most Americans have absolutely no idea how much of this land is seen by few, if any, pretty much ever."  DWA

Cool. You know the drill. Prove it.  

Please provide data that proves what every American knows in regards to land surveys and how often people traverse every square inch. Otherwise admit your statement is pure speculation.

Go to Nepal and see how much yeti merchandise is sold. Yeti shirts, mugs, restaurants, hotels, airlines, etc. The yeti makes the locals lots of money. Everything the locals have had purported to be from Yeti tested for human or known animal except the Sykes bear. So no good evidence no good photos, no pgf just the locals and a few tourists stories.

You can't prove it but come on you have to admit I'd doesn't look good for the yeti.

True.

NA national parks sell tons of bear merchandise.  They make tons of money off bears.  Doesn't look good for the bears.

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem is a nail."

Most Americans have absolutely no idea how much of this land is seen by few, if any, pretty much ever."  DWA

Cool. You know the drill. Prove it.  

Please provide data that proves what every American knows in regards to land surveys and how often people traverse every square inch. Otherwise admit your statement is pure speculation.

Why?  To satisfy you?

I'm not sure you're seeing the point of this exercise, which is:  long as we know you're wrong we'll go on looking.

^^ That's cool. You seem so fond of asking other people to prove things that I thought you would jump at the chance to lead by example and do the same. Guess I was wrong. You prefer unsubstantiated speculation.  Don't expect different from others then. k, thx.

Nope.  Just see no need to confirm to anyone what my experience tells me.

My experience also tells me that in the history of this planet, nothing like sasquatch and yeti has ever existed that hasn't been proven.  So it's only a matter of time. 

Contradict that with evidence that I'm wrong any time you like.  If you offer no evidence for your proposition I am inclined not to respect it enough to offer any more than the overwhelming evidence that exists for mine.

How stuff works.

"My experience also tells me that in the history of this planet, nothing like sasquatch and yeti has ever existed that hasn't been proven.  So it's only a matter of time. " DWA

While I agree with your premise, I do not grant your conclusion. 

"Just see no need to confirm to anyone what my experience tells me" DWA

Of course not. That would be counter to your love of anecdotal evidence.  You love unconfirmable evidence. 

I have offered evidence to support my position many times. You just don't like it. I have offered papers that show the fallibility of human recall. We have numerous studies that analyze alleged Bigfoot evidence and return results of bear, etc.  We have evidence of numerous frauds and hoaxes among Bigfoot evidence. What more evidence would you like?  It is not practical ( or even logical) to demand evidence that something does not exist. A point with which you must agree since it is a popular one being made by Footers right now vis a vis the recent Yeti discussions. 

So what evidence is lacking here for my position?  Remember now, you have to stick to what is practical, possible and testable. 

The lack of evidence is on your side my friend. 

Remember, I cannot prove to you that Bigfoot does not exist, but you can prove to me that it does. 

Edited by dmaker

Why would I want to confirm all the details of my daily life to someone who doesn't grant anything as real that isn't proven?

Of course it's confirmable.  Look for the dang animal in the places it's seen.  (Ever heard of NAWAC?  Them over you.)  You haven't offered any evidence to support your position, none.  "100% not real" cannot be supported with "here's what it could be."  My coathanger could be a green anaconda that I just didn't appraise properly.  Can I pronounce the green anaconda not real?  Saying that someone could possibly be mistaken is nowhere near beginning to think about possibly some day starting to hunt for the beginnings of looking to find evidence that all of them are.

Fact. 

(THOSE are what I like.  Some prefer their deeply-held beliefs.)