Possibility Of Large Bones Being Found In North America

Guest JiggyPotamus

Guest JiggyPotamus

I was wondering whether there have ever really been giant skeletons found in America, which could corroborate the idea of bigfoot. A quick search will lead one to find numerous accounts of such instances, where many of the skeletons were associated with Native American burials and mounds, although some were accidentally found while digging for some purpose aside from archaeological discovery.

Now any inquiring mind would wonder, if so many skeletons were truly discovered, where these bones ended up. Granted that many were found during the 19th century, and thus had plenty of time to go missing, but one would logically think there should be scores of bones still around. And maybe there are. I know that some very large bones are held by some universities, locked away in cabinets and containers, and who knows when they will ever see the light of day. Why more study is not given them I have no idea, but I have no clue as to the true number of such specimens that actually exist. Then there is the possibility that, since the skeletons were found a long time ago, they are locked away in artifact storage rooms, where nobody even knows they exist. I think that there are a handful of specimens that likely fall into this category.

Something that struck me while reading these reports were the numerous claims of either a "double row of teeth," or the "teeth being transverse in their sockets." I am not quite sure what that means exactly, but suffice it to say that there is something unusual about the teeth. I am not speaking of 2 or 3 instances of such a claim, but many more. And I know there are modern day sighting reports that state the same thing. The one that immediately comes to mind, although I don't remember the particulars, was the claim by a man who stopped his tractor or truck in the middle of the road because there was a small bigfoot in the road. A large male came to attempt to get the little one out of the road, and a large female, about eye level with him, came up to his window. He claimed that there was something peculiar about the teeth, and mentioned that they appeared to be in a double row of some sort.

Not many witnesses get close enough to see such detail, and if they do, the animal may not oblige by opening its mouth. And I think it is a very telling claim, that these supposed skeletons had such teeth, and that modern day reports seem to corroborate this idea.

I am sure someone would claim that these are all just made up claims, and none of this actually happened. It is true that I cannot find corroborating evidence for some of these claims, but surprisingly, there are some of these finds that are documented elsewhere. And I would be willing to bet that some are further documented in old local newspaper archives. There are a few cases that are extremely well documented, in that actual names and places can be verified. I am trying to show that at least not all of these claims are hoaxes or outright fabrications. Some might be however, but it is difficult to know for sure.

Take the instances of double rows of teeth. Such a detail is quite unlikely to be consistent with individual hoaxes, and clearly many of these claims were in fact made in the year that is listed for the find, meaning that it is not some modern day hoax, where someone just made up all these different finds and the dates for them, and put them up online. Not conclusive by any means, but I think there is something to many of these reports. But the large question remains...Where are all these remains, if they were indeed unearthed?

Here is a more comprehensive list I found online.

1792 New York, Buffalo: Turner’s History of the Holland Purchase reports that 7 and 8 foot skeletons were found at an earthen fort in Orleans county with broad flat topped skulls.

1800 Ohio, Conneaut: Among the normal size skeletons found in the remains of mounds were found gigantic bones. Some of the skulls and jaws were large enough to fit over the head and face of a normal man

1821 Tennessee, White County: An ancient fortification contained skeletons of gigantic stature averaging at least 7 feet in length.

1825 Ohio Valley: David Cusick, a Tuscorora by birth, wrote that among the legends of the ancient people of the stock, there was a powerful tribe called Ronnongwetowanca. They were giants, and had a "considerable habitation." When the Great Spirit made the people, some of them became giants. After a time, and having endured the outrages of these giants, it is said that the people banded together, and through the final force of about 800 warriors, successfully annihilated the abhorrent Ronnongwetowanca. After that, it was said that there were no giants anywhere. This was supposed to have happened around 2,500 winters before Columbus discovered America, around 1000 BC.

1829 Ohio, Chesterville: In digging away a mound where a hotel was to be built, a large human skeleton was found, but no measurements were made. It is related that the jawbone was found to fit easily over that of a citizen of the village. The local physicians examined the cranium and found it proportionately large, with more teeth than the white race of today. The skeleton was taken to Mansfield, and has been lost sight of entirely.

1833 California, Lompock Rancho: Soldiers digging at Giant Lompock Rancho, California, discovered a male skeleton 12 feet tall.  Carved shells, stone axes, and other artifacts surrounded the skeleton.   The skeleton had double rows of upper and lower teeth. Unfortunately, this body was secretly buried when local Indians became upset about the remains.

1835 Illinois, Lake County: In the numerous mounds in the county, skeletons ranging between 7 and 8 feet are discovered.

1845 Virginia: A human jaw bone of great size was uncovered in a burial mound on which the teeth stood transversely in the jawbone.

1849 New York: From "Illustrations of the Ancient Monuments of Western New York" comes the report that an elliptical mound above near the Conewango Valley held eight big skeletons. A thigh bone was found to be 28†long. Exquisite stone points, enamelwork, and jewelry were found. Also discovered in the area were a number of other large skeletons one almost 9 feet in height.

1850 New York: From the History of Allegany County in 1879 a report that very large human bones were uncovered during excavation for the railroad.

1851 New York: A skull, rib bone, and shin bone were found that indicated the height to be over 8 feet tall.

1856 West Virginia, Wheeling: A human skeleton was discovered by labourers while ploughing a vineyard measuring almost 11 feet tall.

1858 Ohio, Vermillion Township: Skeletons of a race of beings much larger than the local inhabitants were discovered.

1870 Ohio: In Brush Creek Township a large mound contained skeletal remains of several humans up to nine feet tall. A large stone tablet with unknown inscriptions similar to Greek writing was also found.

1872 Ohio, Seneca Township:  When the "Bates" mound was opened the remains of three skeletons, whose size would indicate they measured in life, at least, eight feet in height, were found. A remarkable feature of these remains was they had double teeth in front as well as in back of mouth and in both upper and lower jaws.

1873 Ohio, Seville:  An Ohio Bicentennial Commission historical marker serves as a reminder that the Giants of Seville, Captain Martin Van Buren Bates and his wife, Anna Swan Bates, lived in the village of Seville in Medina County.  Anna stood 7 feet 11 1/2 inches tall and weighed 413 pounds. Martin was 7 feet 9 inches tall and weighed 480 pounds.

1873 Washington DC: "The objects here collected which have not been given, or acquired by exchange, have been purchased for the use of the museum by order of the surgeon-general... There is a skeleton of a giant, who, in life, measured seven feet, prepared by Auzoux and mounted by Blanchêne's method, which, if I may use that term, is really a beauty. It is as white and clean as new fallen snow, and the brass joints and screws which keep it together are bright, and of the latest style and finish." From the article "The Army Medical Museum in Washington" by Louis Bagger, Appletons' Journal: A Magazine Of General LiteratureVolume 9, Issue 206.

1875 West Virginia, Rivesville:  Workmen constructing a bridge near the mouth of Paw Paw Creek uncovered three giant skeletons with strands of reddish hair clinging to the skulls. The skeletons had supported people approximately 8 feet tall.

1876 Wisconsin:  Mounds were excavated containing a giant skull and vertebrae.

1877 Missouri, Kansas City:  A giant skull was unearthed when mounds were opened and giant man tracks belonging to humans 25 to 30 feet tall were discovered.

1877 Nevada, Eureka:  Prospectors found a human leg bone and kneecap sticking out of solid rock. Doctors examined the remains and determined they were from a human being, and one that stood over 12 feet tall. The rock in which the bones were found was dated geologically to the Jurassic Period, over 185 million years old.

1878 Ohio, Ashtabula County: While excavating the ground for graves, bones were exhumed, which seemed to have belonged to a race of giants. A skull and jaw were found, which were of such size that the skull would fit easily over a large man’s head like a loose fitting helmet, even with the jaw in place.   The number of these graves has been estimated to be between two and three thousand. (Jiggy's Comments: HERE I found the source for this paragraph, and in the next paragraph of this article the same double rows of teeth are described.)

1879 Indiana, Brewersville:  A skeleton almost ten feet tall was excavated from a mound.

1880 Ohio, Zanesville:  A skeleton was reported to have been of enormous dimensions found in a clay coffin, with a sandstone slab containing hieroglyphics.

1880 Minnesota, Clearwater: Several giant skeletons were found with double rows of teeth.

1881 Ohio, Medina County: A jawbone of great size belonging to a human being was discovered, which contained eight jaw-teeth in each side, of enormous size; and the teeth stood transversely in the jawbone. It would pass over any man’s face with entire ease.

1882 West Virginia, Brewersville: The remains of a giant human in a sitting position with artifacts of stone and flint were discovered near White Day Creek.

1883 Minnesota, Warren:  Ten skeletons of both sexes and of gigantic size were taken from a mound.

1883 North Dakota, Mandan: A cemetery of over 100 acres filled with bones of a giant race was discovered.

1883 Ohio, Marion County: During general construction projects in the area giant human skeletons were unearthed.

1883 Ohio, Brown County: In ancient settlement sites remains of giant humans among the fromer residents of normal stature.

1884 West Virginia, Kanawha County: A skeleton 7 feet 6 inches long was found in a massive stone structure that was likened to a temple chamber within a mound.

1885 Pennsylvania, Gasterville:  A large mound contained a vault in which was found a skeleton measuring 7 feet 2 inches. Inscriptions were carved on the vault.

1886 Pennsylvania, Ellisburg: An 8 foot skeleton was discovered.

1886 New York: Dozens of human skeletons were discovered with oddly shaped skulls avearging 7 feet in height

1886 Illinois: A number of large skeletons were found in Logan County and artifacts showing a degree of advancement much higher that the native population had attained.

1887 Wisconsin, Le Crescent: Bones of giant humans were discovered in burial mounds.

1888 Ohio, Toledo: 20 skeletons were discovered with jaws and teeth twice as large as those of normal humans.

1888 Minnesota, St. Paul: The remains of seven skeletons 7 to 8 feet tall were discovered.

1890 Tennessee, Roane County: A giant skeleton was discovered measuring over 7 feet tall.

1891 Illinois, Dunleith: Members of the Bureau of Ethnology of the Smithsonian Institution discovered a large skeleton between 7 and 8 feet tall.

1891 Arizona, Crittenden: A giant was unearthed and a huge stone coffin that had evidently once held the body of a man 12 feet tall. A carving on the granite case indicated that he had six toes.

1892 Ohio Proctorville:  From the Ironton Register, “Where Proctorville now stands was one day part of a well paved city, but I think the greater part of it is now in the Ohio river [sic]. Only a few mounds, there; one of which was near the C. Wilgus mansion and contained a skeleton of a very large person, all double teeth, and sound, in a jaw bone that would go over the jaw with the flesh on.â€

1894 Illinois, Pike County: In a conical shaped mound a skeleton over 7 feet tall was found.

1895 Ohio, Toledo: A mound held 20 skeletons, seated and facing east "twice as large as those of present day people."

1896 Minnesota, Lake Koronis: The skeleton of a huge man was uncovered. At Moose Island and Pine City, bones of other giants were found.

1897 Ohio, Jackson: A mound on a farm contained a giant skeleton.

1898 Ohio, Lake Erie Islands: Eight skeletons were found near the United States Coast Guard lighthouse, one measuring over seven feet in height.

1911 California, Lovelock Cave:  An 8-foot tall, red-haired mummy discovered.  This mummy eventually went to a fraternal lodge where it was used for "initiation purposes".

1918 Alton, Illinois: Robert Pershing Wadlow was born, educated and buried in Alton, Illinois. His height of 8' 11.1" qualifies him as the tallest person in history, as recorded in the Guinness Book of Records. At the time of his death he weighed 490 pounds.  Robert was born on February 22, 1918, and weighed a normal eight pounds, six ounces. He drew attention to himself when at six months old, he weighed 30 pounds. A year later at 18 months, he weighed 62 pounds. He continued to grow at an astounding rate, reaching six feet, two inches and 195 pounds by the time he was eight years old.

1923 Arizona, Grand Canyon: The bodies of two petrified human beings 15 and 18 feet in height were discovered.

1931 Nevada, Lovelock:  Large skeletons were found in the Humboldt lakebed.  One measured 8 1/2 feet tall and appeared to have been wrapped in a gum-covered fabric similar to Egyptian mummies. Another skeleton was almost 10 feet long.

1932 New Mexico, White Sands:  Supervisor of the Lincoln National Park, Ellis Wright, found human tracks in the gypsum rock 22 inches long and from 8 to 10 inches wide. The prints were human in origin due to the outline of the perfect prints coupled with a readily apparent instep.

1939 Nevada, Lovelock: A 7-foot 7-inch skeleton was found.

1947 California, Death Valley: The skeletons of nine foot tall humans were found.

1965 Kentucky, Holly Creek: Kenneth White dug a "perfectly preserved skeleton" from under a large rock ledge along Holly Creek which measured 8 feet, 9 inches in length when reassembled. He states, "the arms were extremely long and the hands were large. The skull was "30 inches in circumference. The eye and nose sockets were slits rather than cavities, and the area where the jawbone hinges to the skull was solid bone.

â—  Buffalo Bill Cody spoke of Sioux Indians who told about giants that ran down the buffalo.

â—  Some time in the late 19th century, giants with double rows of teeth, red hair, and skulls 3 to 6 times the size of normal humans were discovered on Catalina Island in California.

â—  The Algonquin have stories of giant, bearded men who first occupied their native lands.

◠ The Cherokee speak of giants who were twice as tall as the Cherokee and also about a great hunter of giant stature named Tsul´ kalu.

SOURCE

Like I said before, this is nothing definitive. But I would be willing to bet that there is at least one or two cases out of this comprehensive list that, if followed up upon, would yield some interesting discoveries. I also would think that if so many skeletons of this nature were discovered, then there are many more out there waiting to be found. I also find myself wondering about sasquatch burial in general, and whether they do this with their dead. Why would their remains be in Native American burial mounds and cemeteries? Was there some mingling between the two species, or did the Natives simply bury dead bigfoot without the consent of the bigfoot, lol? IF any of this is true to begin with of course.

So I am not claiming there is any fact here. Just conjecture, but there is some evidence here as well, or at least there are some of these instances that are probably accurate.

Guest lightheart

One of the mounds is located close to where I was born. See the Kanawha County, WVa mound with the temple interior and large mummy. I have been fascinated with this topic for quite some so I have read a great deal about these large red-haired skeletons. There seems to be a variety of opinions regarding their origins. One hypothesis is called the Kurgan Hypothesis which you can search for more information. In my humble opinion there isn't a connection between these mummies and bigfoot even though they are of comparable sizes. They sure are fascinating however. Some of the mummies have double rows of teeth and were buried in ritualistic clothing with copper jewelry and adornments.

Guest lightheart

There may be a connection between these mummies and the red-haired mummies of the Tarim Basin in China. Another group possibly connected are the Chachapoyas (cloud people) of South America.

Agreed--thx Jiggy. Really more questions than are likely to be answered, but I am also particularly intrigued by the double rows of teeth. It will be interesting if there is any indication of this feature when Sykes' DNA reports come out. It certainly feels "other worldly" to me, like previous civilizations like Atlantis, etc.

For now, I'd settle for just a good old fashioned "bigfoot is a natural wood ape gone undiscovered by science all these years" type report. A guy can only take so much weirdness with all the rest of it.

Hello JiggyPotamus,

Lot of work went into your OP. Thanks, much appreciated.

What I've read suggests they were collected and taken to the Smithsonian Museum where they remain boxed up in storage.    Classic conspiracy theory.  :)    Beats me.  Without the bones, it is just a story.  (Sound familiar?) 

MIB

Googled Mound Builders: 937,000 hits. 

Clicked images: Scrolled down a ways, I find 2 images: One a tall, skeletal 

looking mummy standing next to two men. Below that, a pair of skulls. 

I've not studied this, can't recommend a particular web site or book. 

There is no cover up. If people today haven't heard of the Mound Builders,

it's due to lack of interest. 

There are so many mounds, so many mummies, so many artifacts, the Smithsonian

couldn't begin to hold them, hide them, if they wanted to.  Museums all over America

would have them on display if people wanted to see them.  

Guest Darrell

I heard a lecture one time given by a professor of archelology that asserted that when all the conective tissue, muscles, tendons, and cartlidge decays away the skeleton will actually stretch. In many cases a body can measure over a foot longer, sometimes more, when there is no connective tissue holding it together. Seems to me a more plausable explanation than giants.

And lets not forget that it was somewhat common to hoax those types of things in the 1800's. How about the Carfiff Giant for an example. Here is some interesting reading on giant skeleton hoaxes:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/howaboutthat/6069057/Monsters-kittens-and-aliens-the-greatest-hoaxes-that-fooled-the-world.html?image=10

Edited by Darrell

First, the source:  http://www.sott.net/article/256712-A-giant-mystery-18-strange-giant-skeletons-found-in-Wisconsin-Sons-of-god-Men-of-renown

Second, some interestings 'conjectures'.  ;-)

"Scientists are remaining stubbornly silent about a lost race of giants found in burial mounds near Lake Delavan, Wisconsin, in May 1912. The dig site at Lake Delavan was overseen by Beloit College and it included more than 200 effigy mounds that proved to be classic examples of 8th century Woodland Culture. But the enormous size of the skeletons and elongated skulls found in May 1912 did not fit very neatly into anyone's concept of a textbook standard. They were enormous. These were not average human beings.

First reported in the 4 May 1912 issue of the New York Times the 18 skeletons found by the Peterson brothers on Lake Lawn Farm in southwest Wisconsin exhibited several strange and freakish features.

Their heights ranged between 7.6ft and 10 feet and their skulls "presumably those of men, are much larger than the heads of any race which inhabit America to-day." They tend to have a double row of teeth, 6 fingers, 6 toes and like humans came in differant races. The teeth in the front of the jaw are regular molars. Heads usually found are elongated believed due to longer than normal life span."

/clip/

"In 2002, National Geographic reported a dozen Cyclops skeletons found in Greece that stood 12-15 1/2 Ft tall. That is 3 humans tall. One eye socket. Giants in history are typically cannibalistic in nature. The reason why I am bringing up giants will all tie into politics, and word happenings. Look at a basketball hoop and add 5 feet. That tall. Greek Mythology talks about war with cyclops learning they had to bring down by taking out their legs rendering them slow and helpless. American Giants (Red Hair Giants) where found with egyptian writing on their tombs have been found in multiple locations."

/clip/

"On 10 August 1891, the New York Times reported that scientists from the Smithsonian Institution had discovered several large "pyramidal monuments" on Lake Mills, near Madison, Wisconsin. "Madison was in ancient days the centre of a teeming population numbering not less than 200,000," the Times said. The excavators found an elaborate system of defensive works which they named Fort Aztalan.

"The celebrated mounds of Ohio and Indiana can bear no comparison, either in size, design or the skill displayed in their construction with these gigantic and mysterious monuments of earth -- erected we know not by whom, and for what purpose we can only conjecture," said the Times.

On 20 December 1897, the Times followed up with a report on three large burial mounds that had been discovered in Maple Creek, Wisconsin. One had recently been opened.

"In it was found the skeleton of a man of gigantic size. The bones measured from head to foot over nine feet and were in a fair state of preservation. The skull was as large as a half bushel measure. Some finely tempered rods of copper and other relics were lying near the bones.""

/clip/

"The January 13th, 1870 edition of the Wisconsin Decatur Republican reported that two giant, well-preserved skeletons of an unknown race were discovered near Potosi, WI by workers digging the foundation of a saw mill near the bank of the Mississippi river. One skeleton measured seven-and-a-half feet, the other eight feet. The skulls of each had prominent cheek bones and double rows of teeth. A large collection of arrowheads and "strange toys" were found buried with the remains."

giant_skeletons_maple_creek_wi.jpg

"On December 20th, 1897 the New York Times reported that three large burial mounds had been discovered near Maple Creek, WI. Upon excavation, a skeleton measuring over nine feet from head to toe was discovered with finely tempered copper rods and other relics."

"A giant skeleton was unearthed outside of West Bend near Lizard Mound County Park and assembled by local farmers to a height of eight feet. More about this can be found in Washington County Paranormal: A Wisconsin Legend Trip by local author and investigator J. Nathan Couch."

newspaper_clips.jpg

Guest Darrell

^ from the SOTT website you obtained your informationn. This is in the sites about us section:

"SOTT.net is a research project of the non-profit Quantum Future Group (QFG). The project includes collecting, arranging, and analyzing news items that seem to best reflect the movement of macrocosmic quantum energies on the planet. This research further includes noting whether or not human beings, individually and/or collectively, can actually remember from one day to the next the state of the planet, and whether they are able to accurately read that information and make intelligent decisions about their future based on that knowledge. In short, SOTT.net is an experiment."

And here is part of the actual NatGeo article that was linked on that site:

"The tusk, several teeth, and some bones of a Deinotherium giganteum, which, loosely translated means really huge terrible beast, have been found on the Greek island Crete. A distant relative to today's elephants, the giant mammal stood 15 feet (4.6 meters) tall at the shoulder, and had tusks that were 4.5 feet (1.3 meters) long. It was one of the largest mammals ever to walk the face of the Earth.

"This is the first finding in Crete and the south Aegean in general," said Charalampos Fassoulas, a geologist with the University of Crete's Natural History Museum. "It is also the first time that we found a whole tusk of the animal in Greece. We haven't dated the fossils yet, but the sediment where we found them is of 8 to 9 million years in age."

Skulls of Deinotherium giganteum found at other sites show it to be more primitive, and the bulk a lot more vast, than today's elephant, with an extremely large nasal opening in the center of the skull.

To paleontologists today, the large hole in the center of the skull suggests a pronounced trunk. To the ancient Greeks, Deinotherium skulls could well be the foundation for their tales of the fearsome one-eyed Cyclops."

Not actual cyclops skeletons, but dinasoar fossils!  It wasnt even humanoid. At some point you need to get away from the crazy alternative history websites.

Edited by Darrell

"At some point you need to get away from the crazy alternative history websites."  

Darrell, you're bordering trolling with comments like this. Please respect the opinions and curiosities of other members.

Great thread, Jiggy! This has been an interesting topic, and seems to be almost as elusive as the bigfoot phenomenon itself. We hear of giant skeletons found, but very little tangible evidence is available to observe. Conspiracy is as likely an explanation as any at this point IMO.

post-17666-0-81695600-1382396757_thumb.j

I always thought this was interesting, finally something really is shown in a museum.

For a more indepth, no holds barred discussion of this matter, I would invite you all to join the PMP

Edited by AaronD
typo