Possibility Of Large Bones Being Found In North America

Guest JiggyPotamus

;-)

"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance."

-Confucious-

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

-Einstein-

"To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step in knowledge."

-Benjamin Disraeli-

"Courage is the human virtue that counts most--courage to act on limited knowledge and insufficient evidence. That's all any of us have."

-Robert Frost-

"But instinct is something which transcends knowledge. We have, undoubtedly, certain finer fibers that enable us to perceive truths when logical deduction, or any other willful effort of the brain, is futile."

-Nikola Tesla-

"The only true wisdom is in knowing that you know nothing."

-Socrates-

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence". - Carl Sagan.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence". - Christopher Hitchens.

"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes". - Mark Twain.

So yet again, the evidence isn't strong enough to make a real conclusion about giant humans and the argument comes down to belief systems. Does anyone but me see a problem with that?

I'll agree with you to the point that the evidence isn't strong enough to convince everyone, likely because of prior belief system...but I'll go along with your statement.

Excellent post JDL, as usual ;)

JDL, you don't have to look far to find a book or paper on the evolution and the evidence for it. Now where's your giant evidence?

Jerry, you don't have to look far either.  I've already submitted the evidence in this and related threads.  Also, the two topics are not mutually exclusive.

So yet again, the evidence isn't strong enough to make a real conclusion about giant humans and the argument comes down to belief systems. Does anyone but me see a problem with that?

You are applying non-science, to a topic, and calling it science.

If I said 'Here is a doctored photo of a spaceship landing and dropping off unicorns, and the real photos were stolen by people who didn't want us to know Unicorns were really Aliens. Therefore, there are spaceships dropping off unicorns in the woods.  Unless you can prove otherwise.'  Then you'd think I was being silly.

But as soon as 'Giant Human' gets into the mix, it is all of a sudden a valid scientific endeavor?

There is no fossil evidence of giant humans.  The stories are written to make you think there is evidence.  They have fooled some of you.

Bipedalism has it's limits, spreading a huge mass over two points of support is taxing on lower limbs, spines, and hearts.  

• Upvote 1

Guest Darrell

Dr Ken Feder has written and been interviewed extensively on the human giant myth. IMO he pretty much nailed the coffin shut on the subject.

^Well no kidding, wouldn't you think they'd want to keep them?

And drew - are you thinking that bigfoot can reach heights of 30 feet tall?

B/C most of the BF sightings that I've come across have them in the 7-8 foot range.  Not really outside of what we see occassionally in humans.

Sure, we have the 10-11-12 foot reports as well, but they are fewer.

At what height does bipedalism become impossible?

As has been mentioned, there is a difference in folks' interpretation of the word 'giant' here.

To me, a population of 7 foot 'humans' would qualify as a race of giants.

But I guess the OP isn't about giants, but large bones tho.

Thanks for the links Bonehead!  Plussed!

This, from your second link:

"We then decided to do a careful review of the Smithsonian’s two major reports that detailed their mound investigations (the 1887 and 1894 Bureau of Ethnology Annual Reports). We used original publications for our search and went through them page-by-page. The 1894 report contained 742-pages detailing the mound investigations and the 1887 report had 100 pages. We found that the Smithsonian’s field agents found 17 skeletons in mounds that were close to 7 feet or taller. The largest they reported was just under 8-feet in length. The main concentration of these was in West Virginia’s Kanawha Valley, which I then visited along with Brent and Joan Raynes. 

I performed two statistical analyses on the “giant†skeletons found in West Virginia to determine the probability that the large skeletons excavated there could simply be due to chance. The first analysis assumed that the skeletons were measured correctly and it showed that the statistical probability of finding so many tall skeletons in the West Virginia mounds was well beyond chance: the actual results were as close to zero as it gets statistically. The second analysis assumed that all of the skeletons were measured incorrectly because of “spreading,†which can occur to skeletons as falling stone and ground cause pressure to push apart skeletons. This analysis essentially reduced the height of all the skeletons by about 7.5%. The resulting statistical analysis also showed that the probability of finding so many tall skeletons in West Virginia mounds were far blow what might be found by chance (p > .01). I also found that American archaeologists have actually termed skeletons about 5 feet 10 inches tall in Moche pyramids as “giants.†This is important because the skeptics have derided others for calling skeletal remains 7 to 8 feet tall “giants.†

In essence, for the Smithsonian to have found 17 skeletons that were 7 feet tall by chance alone, they would have had to excavate 2.5 million skeletons. (That statistic utilizes modern height statistics, not the smaller heights known to have existed in ancient Native American populations.) In sum, there is a genuine mystery here. The height of many of the individuals entombed in ancient American mounds was far taller than the general populace—far beyond what could be explained by simple chance. 

Skeptics have related that the disorder gigantism probably was the cause of many reports, but they actually cite no evidence for this assertion. It is a weak attempt to explain away and dismiss the issue. Gigantism is exceedingly rare, so rare that there is no actual incidence statistic for it. America has less than 100 cases of gigantism recoded in its history. In fact, the overwhelmingly vast majority of tall people today, those reaching or approaching 7 feet, do not have the disorder of gigantism. The actual percentage of modern humans who reach 7 feet in height is 0.000007%. In the ancient world of America’s Mound Builders, the percentage of the population that reached 7 feet in height would have been even lower. "

Wow check that out. A fossil of an actual real animal! So where exactly are these giant human bones?

At the Smithsonian - see above.

:-)

Guest Darrell

^better yet a book sold on the internet! Maybe I should write a fake book to sell to fruits, nuts, and footers. Probably no money in it tho.